PDA

View Full Version : What keeps you excited about pens?

Spideysgirl
June 23rd, 2017, 10:13 AM
I'm still a newbie but that keeps me excited about pens is the ink. There seems to be an endless amount of colors. It's mind blowing but exciting.

Marsilius
June 23rd, 2017, 10:19 AM
Ink and Nib and good paper (tied in 1st place).
Comfortable pen (2nd place).
Pretty or cool looking pen (3rd place).
Cool design themes like pens inspired by trains, planes, and skyscrapers (added and ongoing pleasure).

RocketRyan
June 23rd, 2017, 10:40 AM
Currently it's trying different nibs, but inks are a constant wonder.

Kaputnik
June 23rd, 2017, 06:42 PM
I don't know about excited, but I've realized that I really like to write, like to write by hand, and that the different characteristics of fountain and dip pen nibs add an extra interest to the process.

Not so much inks, although I do enjoy the variety.

Empty_of_Clouds
June 23rd, 2017, 06:51 PM
As someone who has found it nearly impossible to match accessibility with reasonable (not bargain) prices, I have found myself stalled. It is unlikely that I'll go hunting again. Never say never I suppose, but I wouldn't bet on it. I tried the custom idea, however that comes with extraordinary wait times for nice pens with bog standard nibs, pen models that are usually too short and/or don't post, absurd price hikes for minor changes to existing pens, and a degree of preciousness on the part of the makers that simply does not exist with the larger pen companies.

There's one, maybe two, pens that I could conceivably add to my pen case at the expense of selling others. Again though, buying with confidence is the biggest problem for me, as I have none left. Edit: unlike some I cannot afford to simply experiment with expensive pens.

Inks are interesting, and there are some stunning colours and behaviours available. And decent paper, journals and accessories, keep me writing.

dfo
June 23rd, 2017, 09:46 PM
I remain excited about fountain pens, because I love writing with them. I may never buy another pen, but I enjoy the textile feeling of writing each letter with a fountain pen that is lost with a ballpoint.

KrazyIvan
June 23rd, 2017, 09:57 PM
Writing. Note taking, letter writing, writing in cards for special occasions. Anything to do with writing with my pens.

penwash
June 23rd, 2017, 10:34 PM
Turning a broken/neglected/forgotten pen that someone can't wait to get rid of,
into something that another person can't wait to receive and write with.

SIR
June 24th, 2017, 01:02 AM
Currently it's trying different nibs, but inks are a constant wonder.
+1

I remain excited about fountain pens, because I love writing with them. I may never buy another pen, but I enjoy the textile feeling of writing each letter with a fountain pen that is lost with a ballpoint.
+1

Writing. Note taking, letter writing, writing in cards for special occasions. Anything to do with writing with my pens.
+1

And... Calligraphy!!

Waski_the_Squirrel
June 24th, 2017, 11:05 AM
The biggest thing for me is that I like writing with them. Even planning out a new class with a good fountain pen or two makes the task that much better. I just love words and diagrams on paper.

Aside from that, there is the joy of bringing an old pen back to life. And there is that materialistic search either for just the right pen or for the best expensive or cheap pen.

Deb
June 24th, 2017, 07:14 PM
I agree with Penwash. And with older pens the variety is limitless

Hawk
June 24th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Looking at this thread in a different way, it relieves stress for me. Whether it is purchasing, looking at them or writing with them I tend to unwind. Admitted, the purchasing part can be stressful.

dfo
June 24th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Looking at this thread in a different way, it relieves stress for me. Whether it is purchasing, looking at them or writing with them I tend to unwind. Admitted, the purchasing part can be stressful.

I agree. I find that writing writing with a fountain pen has a meditative quality, such as in practicing mindfulness with each pen stroke.

inklord
June 25th, 2017, 04:40 AM
I'm still a newbie but that keeps me excited about pens is the ink. There seems to be an endless amount of colors. It's mind blowing but exciting.
dto. And good paper.

PaulS
June 25th, 2017, 05:19 AM
well, today I must be in the minority ..... reasons given so far for the 'excitement' seem to come from writers and lovers of ink and paper, but ............. I bet none of that emotion compares with the lust and passion of the collector:)
Hunting for the rare and not so rare makes the heart beat quicker - the unexpected that might turn up - the depression when they don't - getting something for £5 that is worth £100 even though you know you won't sell.
But that sort of passion isn't confined to pens, it runs through most of the interest that folk have for 'older' well made artefacts - the current rising prices on ebay etc., show how active collectors are, and although they occasionally 'write', mostly they shine and hoard.
Could be that we collectors are the real engine house that drives this pursuit, sustains interest - the down side being that it's possibly us that drives up prices.

Some tongue in cheek in my words, but collector's 'excitement' does have a lot to answer for, I'm sure;)

inklord
June 25th, 2017, 08:53 AM
well, today I must be in the minority ..... reasons given so far for the 'excitement' seem to come from writers and lovers of ink and paper, but ............. I bet none of that emotion compares with the lust and passion of the collector:)
Hunting for the rare and not so rare makes the heart beat quicker - the unexpected that might turn up - the depression when they don't - getting something for £5 that is worth £100 even though you know you won't sell.
But that sort of passion isn't confined to pens, it runs through most of the interest that folk have for 'older' well made artefacts - the current rising prices on ebay etc., show how active collectors are, and although they occasionally 'write', mostly they shine and hoard.
Could be that we collectors are the real engine house that drives this pursuit, sustains interest - the down side being that it's possibly us that drives up prices.

Some tongue in cheek in my words, but collector's 'excitement' does have a lot to answer for, I'm sure;)
While I sincerely appreciate a collector's efforts - after all it offers guys like me many a peek into private museums of friends and acquaintances - I personally could never understand these accumulations. Oh, they do happen to me (I currently have over 20 pens) but the condition soon urges me to get rid of the surplus... :) glad you brought that in, though, almost got the feeling the pen collectors are currently in hiding on this forum!

SIR
June 25th, 2017, 10:03 AM
glad you brought that in, though, almost got the feeling the pen collectors are currently in hiding on this forum!

Dirty little secret?! I honestly have no idea to what you are referring!

PaulS
June 25th, 2017, 11:29 AM
the secret is not to count them - what you don't know can't make you feel embarrassed.:bolt:

penwash
June 25th, 2017, 11:51 AM

Paul, I don't think you're in the minority at all.

And I never understand the "shame" of collecting fountain pens (or any other interesting historical artifacts for that matter). I collect vintage cameras before fountain pens and saw the same thing. Most people in that hobby seem to be embarrassed that they enjoy collecting the cameras more than using them to take photos. I happen to enjoy photographing as much as I enjoy collecting the cameras, but I never feel the need to apologize or being bashful for my camera collection.

Just as today I enjoy writing and sketching with fountain pens as much as I enjoy restoring and collecting them. :)

VertOlive
June 25th, 2017, 09:27 PM
Certainly, as PaulS mentioned, there's the thrill of the hunt (I'm still happily on the trail of the elusive Sailor Black Velvet).

Additionally there is the occasional pleasure of commissioning a pen and collaborating in its design.

Finally, above all, I love writing to my pen pals and using all those pens and ink to do so.

Sammyo
June 25th, 2017, 09:59 PM

Lol, this is not meant as an argument, but rather a counter argument ;) please read as such. As stated above "Some tongue in cheek in my words..."

I don't think that people searching the internet and buying up old pens that are no longer available from stores has any effect on manufacturers making new and interesting models.
I believe that is the realm of the new pen buyers only!?!? Pilot, Visconti, Sailor, Aurora, et al. want to sell new pens at MRSP and they have no interest in people who only buy on e-Bay or at pen shows. They are not he market or the target... But I fully understand your comments about the "collector's lust"!

Having said that, my excitement comes from going to a shop, seeing what is there... trying to find something interesting and different and new.
I love the feeling of thinking... uncapping a pen... and then writing with it.
I like the feeling when after a meeting someone comes up to you to ask about your "old style" pen.
The look on their face when you say it is a brand new release this year... of if it is vintage, what it is and how old it is and that it still works perfectly.
I enjoy meeting and interacting with other FP Geeks, although that happens a whole lot less since I moved... if ever :(
I like looking at and using my granddad's pens that restarted the whole thing for me.
I think that is enough gushing for now :D

amk
June 26th, 2017, 04:11 AM
All kinds of excitements.

An extra pleasure when I travel to distant countries, being able to meet pen collectors and see areas that I'd never go to as a tourist, and hunt down stationery shops and antiques centres and flea markets.

Writing, sometimes I'm just working making notes and I suddenly think wow, this Platinum F nib is lovely, it feels right, it sounds right, it writes beautifully; a little Zen moment.

On the hunt! Whether on ebay or in a flea market, tracking down a bargain or a rarity, it's always exciting.

Interesting new products. Herbin chocolate scented ink! How could I resist? (Now wondering what happens if you mix the chocolate and the orange inks... do you get a chocolate orange, or just a nasty stink?)

Roger W.
June 26th, 2017, 11:07 AM
Yes, Paul is in the minority and it is even a smaller percentage every year. It used to be we had pen shows almost solely for the benefit of collectors and even the chat boards were the same. Now collectors are a small percentage of the chat boards and a great effort is made for users to be a big part of pen shows. This is easily seen from some shows being described as having strong vintage appeal which means that vintage or collectibles are a smaller part of shows altogether. This is fine as it keeps interest alive. I do see a lot less questions being asked about vintage pens as I'm not doing much answering of questions as I used to.

I'm a collector for over 30 years and I stay active and interested because there is still more to know about vintage pens. Sometimes a piece of ephemera (literature about pens) can be more interesting that finding the actual pens. I write with about half a dozen pens a year which evolves over time. I still use the Targa I bought in 1982. I'm using two PFMs and an Imperial IV which I've only done for the last couple of years. Maybe one day I will concentrate on writing well but, for now I am primarily a collector which I've always been. I am thinking I will buy a pen or two from some of the new makers as I should support the vendors that come to the Chicago Pen Show - we have a great deal of fun running the show - and there are some really nice pens being crafted today.

Roger W.

Marsilius
June 26th, 2017, 12:21 PM
Another thing that excites me is getting someone new into fountain pens and ink. It is fun to sit down with someone, watch them try pens and ink, and ask about what nib, style, colors, feel, they like.

TSherbs
June 26th, 2017, 12:33 PM
Writing is what keeps me going with my fountain pens.

Deb
June 27th, 2017, 03:39 AM
Writing is what keeps me going with my fountain pens.

What he said.

PaulS
June 27th, 2017, 07:16 AM
quote from Roger W .................... "Yes, Paul is in the minority and it is even a smaller percentage every year." ............. that statement may be correct, equally it may not be:)
I'd be interested in knowing the basis for this comment - how do we know that Paul's mates are shrinking in numbers year on year - is there some oracle somewhere to whom we may refer, and who keeps stats. of such accuracy that will confirm Roger to be correct;)

Aside from an absence of friends, how do I find the time to write ........... today out walking until 1.00 p.m.(but no pens) - then lunch - then on screen to review any possible need to reply to others - then other hobbies for two/three hours - then dinner - then five minutes to converse with o.h. - then watch news - back on screen for poss. help to other pen users - then sit with o.h. for five minutes - look at pen collection and drool - lament that overdraft excessive which prohibits further pen purchases - say goodnight to o.h. - possibly read for half hour - then bed.:pound:
good job I can cope with this pace of life.

penwash
June 27th, 2017, 01:34 PM
Yes, Paul is in the minority and it is even a smaller percentage every year. It used to be we had pen shows almost solely for the benefit of collectors and even the chat boards were the same. Now collectors are a small percentage of the chat boards and a great effort is made for users to be a big part of pen shows. This is easily seen from some shows being described as having strong vintage appeal which means that vintage or collectibles are a smaller part of shows altogether. This is fine as it keeps interest alive. I do see a lot less questions being asked about vintage pens as I'm not doing much answering of questions as I used to.

I'm a collector for over 30 years and I stay active and interested because there is still more to know about vintage pens. Sometimes a piece of ephemera (literature about pens) can be more interesting that finding the actual pens. I write with about half a dozen pens a year which evolves over time. I still use the Targa I bought in 1982. I'm using two PFMs and an Imperial IV which I've only done for the last couple of years. Maybe one day I will concentrate on writing well but, for now I am primarily a collector which I've always been. I am thinking I will buy a pen or two from some of the new makers as I should support the vendors that come to the Chicago Pen Show - we have a great deal of fun running the show - and there are some really nice pens being crafted today.

Roger W.

Roger, there are a lot of young people who are interested in vintage pens. It's just most of them don't hang around here or FPN. :)

Roger W.
June 28th, 2017, 12:13 PM
I didn't say that young people weren't interested in vintage pens. There are not a lot of young collectors though and the boards are predominantly users which is not how things were 20 years ago. There was a large serge of collectors around 2000 and prices were high. Vintage has cooled off since then and new makers are really a strong presence. I'm not saying anything is bad or good just things have changed. In running the Chicago Pen Show we try to cater to where the pen community is today and where it seems to be trending. We are out on instagram, twitter and facebook all in an effort to find wherever interested pen people are - young or old. It is quite possible that there will be a resurgence of collecting one day but, that is not a current trend. I'm still a hard core collector and that is what drives me but, I don't think that drives very many people as can be seen in the above responses.

Roger W.

Roger W.

penwash
June 28th, 2017, 02:17 PM
I didn't say that young people weren't interested in vintage pens. There are not a lot of young collectors though and the boards are predominantly users which is not how things were 20 years ago. There was a large serge of collectors around 2000 and prices were high. Vintage has cooled off since then and new makers are really a strong presence. I'm not saying anything is bad or good just things have changed. In running the Chicago Pen Show we try to cater to where the pen community is today and where it seems to be trending. We are out on instagram, twitter and facebook all in an effort to find wherever interested pen people are - young or old. It is quite possible that there will be a resurgence of collecting one day but, that is not a current trend. I'm still a hard core collector and that is what drives me but, I don't think that drives very many people as can be seen in the above responses.

Roger W.

Roger W.

Roger I'm with you all the way. I was bitten by the FP bug two years ago and I'm constantly amazed at how much effort it took to build a good collection. Collecting is not easy, and that's probably why a lot of newcomers to fountain pens stay on the "user" side of the aisle.

I now spend my time informing mostly young FP users on Reddit, making them aware of the collection-side of the hobby. The dice will fall wherever it'll fall, but at least I can say that I've done at least some of my part.

Driften
June 28th, 2017, 07:09 PM
I enjoy using my fountain pens but I don't need as many as I have to do that. I also like making pens, but I have not done that in years. For a few years I did not use my fountain pens but then when I published a novel I came back to them. Since then I have bought 13 pens this year since starting to use them again. I think I am going to slow down and focus on writing with them more then buying them from this point on.

chalkdust
June 29th, 2017, 06:29 AM
The relaxation keeps me excited. I am newly returned to fountain pens. I notice my writing pressure has relaxed. My fear of the empty page has relaxed. Even my grammar has relaxed. I am enjoying placing words on paper and allowing my thoughts to come forth without being aligned by a computer and spell-corrected. I am also rediscovering the beauty of simple, clean, crisp black on paper. I suppose this is the fountain pen honeymoon phase and you old-timers will smile and nod.

amk
June 30th, 2017, 01:39 AM
Chalkdust, that honeymoon comes back every time I use my Pelikan m400 with the italic broad nib.... Don't worry, it never gets stale. Just sometimes you'll feel it less, and sometimes you'll get that wonderful feeling all over again.

PaulS
June 30th, 2017, 07:06 AM
quote from Penwash ................ "Collecting is not easy" ........... I would have thought the opposite to be true - the world is full of f.ps. that I want - my only problem is finding the money to buy them.;)

penwash
June 30th, 2017, 08:23 AM
quote from Penwash ................ "Collecting is not easy" ........... I would have thought the opposite to be true - the world is full of f.ps. that I want - my only problem is finding the money to buy them.;)

What I mean to say: To build a collection of interesting pens with a theme, is not easy :)

I am one who often fall into the "I like everything" trap, therefore although I have quite a few pens, those do not easily fall into a series of coherent and impressive collection like the ones I saw in pen shows, or here, or Pentrace.

As I understand it, it literally took years even decades to build a collection, therefore just the amount of self-control and tenacity that it would take to maintain the will to finish it, is already impressive to me.

PaulS
June 30th, 2017, 11:47 AM
apologies if my comments appeared less than charitable - my sense of humour isn't always apparent.:):)

Perhaps my approach is one of being less thematic - I tend to buy what appeals, often on impulse, so I end up with a great variety of pens, and the notion of a theme seems to get lost, unless my theme is 'just pens' - perhaps I'd learn more about them if I was a little less erratic.:)

KrazyIvan
June 30th, 2017, 11:59 AM
Just when I thought I had outgrown Chinese pens, these come along.

https://scontent-dft4-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/19436796_367396110342409_7580933030550700032_n.jpg

pengeezer
July 2nd, 2017, 01:39 PM
There are several things about fountain pens that keeps me excited. One spoke of the thrill of the chase.....while
that certainly is true,chasing and getting a bargain in the process makes getting a vintage pen even sweeter.
Finding the unusual is another. Finding out what you like and can live without(notice I didn't say what you
don't like) is a third reason. The final reason is that vintage fountain pens are like vintage cars in that they
can be restored,but what makes them a thing of joy is that you can use them longer and they don't rack up
quite a bill like vintage cars.

John

Empty_of_Clouds
July 6th, 2017, 06:50 PM
If you had asked me a year or so ago I would have said that one of the main spurs to my interest was in reading about all the fabulous pens and inks that people had or were potentially available. Most of these reviews were on FPN though. Now I am much more interested in actually doing some significant levels of writing, so I am not in the chasing part to the same degree.

Incidentally, I am about to lose my moderator status from FPN. Apparently I spoke out of turn. Who would've thunk it? :)

GiaSophia
July 6th, 2017, 08:47 PM
I enjoy writing. I am also on the hunt to find the nib size/style and pen that will work best for me. Unfortunately there aren't any brick and mortar stores near me and I haven't been to any pen shows so the opportunity to try pens out before buying is not an option. It's getting cost prohibitive to keep buying based on what others like.

penwash
July 6th, 2017, 08:55 PM
I enjoy writing. I am also on the hunt to find the nib size/style and pen that will work best for me. Unfortunately there aren't any brick and mortar stores near me and I haven't been to any pen shows so the opportunity to try pens out before buying is not an option. It's getting cost prohibitive to keep buying based on what others like.

Definitely go to a pen show.
I don't know where you are in the Mid West, but there are the Ohio and Chicago pen shows.

SIR
July 7th, 2017, 12:40 AM
Incidentally, I am about to lose my moderator status from FPN. Apparently I spoke out of turn. Who would've thunk it? :)

Good work - welcome to the club!!

Empty_of_Clouds
July 7th, 2017, 05:19 PM
Indeed. The moderators over there are mostly a cold-hearted and unwelcoming group who display some highly questionable judgement skills (or lack of). Just spent part of the morning removing all my pictorial content as part of the purge. Waiting on de-activation now.

Stuff 'em.

writingrav
July 8th, 2017, 08:23 AM
There is another category, to which I belong, that of accumulator as opposed to collector. My main interest is in writing, but along the way there is always the chance that a different pen because of its weight, girth, section-length, nib will further enhance the writing experience. Hence another pen enters the "collection." Then there is the curiosity about filling systems, materials, brand idiosyncrasies: another couple of pens there. Of course, there is always another ink or a different paper to help keep up interest as well.

titrisol
July 15th, 2017, 12:00 PM
I have been using fountain pens since I was in 3rd grade, it just feels good
I love the whole experience, from the loading, to the rich layer of ink, the feedback form papers, the seeping in the cheap papers and the changes of color over time; all that compunded with the faces of some people from curiosity to revulsion ;)

Inks and nibs and "feel" vary so much from one pen to the other, some are good out of the box, some take some time, and some are not so good

pajaro
July 19th, 2017, 01:24 PM
I have always been interested in pens and in hoarding them. I first liked Lindy ballpoints, then Papermates and some Parkers. Getting out on my own I bought a midnight blue Parker 51 like my father's pen. Years later I stumbled on some Sheaffers at an old office supply. Later some Montblanc 144s and a 146 from curiosity. Then I started in on 51s, later everything else. Garage sales, antique stores, ebay, I bought without theme or control, but mainly Parker 51, Montblanc 144 and Pelikan seem to have kept my interest, which has waxed and waned. I am a hoarder. I suppose I have sub-collections, like Parker Sonnet, Parker 51, etc.

I have gone through the phases of ink hoarding, nib exploration and hoarding, color hoarding. I have thought of red theme collecting, blue theme collecting, italic nib collecting, whatever. I have found that the finer the nib, the more I seem to like to write with it, but I like writing little.

I am not much of a joiner, and the less as I got older, so I have an almost paranoid fear of gatherings. Shows inspire pure terror in me. I thought about going to a couple of them, and I found myself dreaming up excuses for not going. I guess I am a fairly squirrelly person. Usually my attempts to help result in some kind of contretemps with someone else. I usually figure the heck with them, and I amble along as if I had good sense. I continue to fool around with pens. Lately, extra fine nibs and dark purple Sailor inks have intriqued me. Over two hundred pens, in spite of occasional PIFs and occasional burnings with a heat gun in the midst of a resaccing. Nibs suddenly are freed up for re-use in another pen. The beat goes on. Crazy hoarding of pens, foreign postage stamps, model electric trains. It's all nuts, and my wife will shortly say I have been ignoring her, while I have been reading this interesting thread. Well, we are old and cannot any longer do much. But, I got a pearly violet Parker 51 hood and barrel made by that genius, Ariel Kullock, and I have the hunt for a mundane Parker 51 to transform. I shall have to hunt up an interesting cap. Ebay, so maligned by the unimaginitive, provides people like us the opportunity to hoard all sorts of nostalgic stuff. Rambling along like I had good sense.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 20th, 2017, 06:23 PM

Good work - welcome to the club!!

Well, they've taken away my badges - who needs stinkin' badge - but not the power (oh, the power, muhahahaha)... yet. And no ban, but then consistency is hardly the watchword of FPN moderators.