PDA

View Full Version : FPGeeks Member Map

dannzeman
April 22nd, 2013, 02:07 PM
In the top menu bar, directly under our (incredibly outdated logo) you'll see a new button: "Member Map"

Click that and you'll get the ability to add your location to the map and see the location of other users who've added themselves:

This is purely an opt-in service and you are free to participate as you wish. Only registered users who are logged in will be able to see and edit the map. Users cannot add other users.

BikerBabe
April 25th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Cool, done! ;) *waves from Denmark*

KrazyIvan
April 25th, 2013, 03:43 PM
I see other colors for the pins, like a light green and blue. I see orange is me, but what do the other colors mean?

drgoretex
April 25th, 2013, 04:05 PM
I see other colors for the pins, like a light green and blue. I see orange is me, but what do the other colors mean?

Orange is bad. Very, very bad.

Ken

KrazyIvan
April 25th, 2013, 04:15 PM

Orange is bad. Very, very bad.

Ken

Well, danzeman started it. :p

drgoretex
April 25th, 2013, 04:34 PM
Hmm...on my map, it is I who am orange :blink:. And if I remember correctly, Ivan, looks like you are green. :noidea:

Hah! Just realized I can click on a locator and see who's there. Cool!

Ken

KrazyIvan
April 25th, 2013, 05:25 PM
Orange defaults to your location or the location of the person logged into the account. Just to make it easy to find yourself. :)

I think I figured it out. Green is online and blue is offline.

fountainpenkid
April 25th, 2013, 07:00 PM
This is cool.

Laura N
April 25th, 2013, 07:13 PM
I'm the only one from the Chicago area, it seems. Need more Blackhawks fans.

KrazyIvan
April 25th, 2013, 08:08 PM
Nobody for hundreds of miles from me.

Manny
April 25th, 2013, 10:08 PM
In ALL of NJ, I'm the only one?
Sheesh!

earthdawn
April 25th, 2013, 10:23 PM
Thats pretty kool !

I updated my location as it had me in the soviet union lol ... not a bad thing but just WAY far off from where I am ...

Bogon07
April 26th, 2013, 01:13 AM
Have you upset all the other Texans again ?

Tracy Lee
April 26th, 2013, 05:11 AM
That got me to log in on the forum instead of my app, and add myself. Very cool to see the marks - can we now pick the marks we want to visit? :)

caribbean_skye
April 26th, 2013, 05:13 AM

I'm not a Texan, but live in the state but speaking for myself nope, alles gut mit KI.

jor412
April 26th, 2013, 05:43 AM

... Thousands of miles from me. :P

The map is so much fun. I get a sense of density & distance. Very nice.

Barbara
April 26th, 2013, 07:48 PM
Love the map!

heraclitus682
April 26th, 2013, 09:55 PM
This is fun. Don't know why, but it is fun.

drgoretex
April 26th, 2013, 10:09 PM
Still only five Canadians. What the heck?

Ken

Pensfan
April 27th, 2013, 06:48 AM
My 7y/o son is a HUGE Blackhawks fan, despite us living in St. Louis. Of course I am a Penguins fan, hence the nick, also despite living in St. Louis haha.

sargetalon
April 28th, 2013, 12:56 PM
This member map is an awesome idea. Looks like only 1 other in Philadelphia so far. I always knew this wasn't a pen town, LOL.

fountainpenkid
April 28th, 2013, 02:07 PM
This member map is an awesome idea. Looks like only 1 other in Philadelphia so far. I always knew this wasn't a pen town, LOL.

There are actually a couple members from philly here, they simply haven't tagged themselves yet.

liapuyat
April 28th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I love this Member Map! It's so cool :)

cedargirl
April 29th, 2013, 01:43 AM
Calling "Conway Stewart", calling "Conway Stewart", this is "Australian Maritime Safety", do you read me?, over.
Attention "Conway Stewart", you have come adrift and are now floating several hundred miles south of Adelaide, headed for the Antarctic!
Do you need assistance? Over.

awhhh - sorry - it's been a long day.

Laura N
April 29th, 2013, 06:52 AM
My 7y/o son is a HUGE Blackhawks fan, despite us living in St. Louis. Of course I am a Penguins fan, hence the nick, also despite living in St. Louis haha.

You have a fine boy! I hope we'll both still be talking about this in June. :)

vhr5
April 29th, 2013, 10:43 AM
A few weeks ago, I was thinking how nice it would be to see a map of where all the other fountain admirer are, so I am glad that this was created! Although I'm sure that it is not true, at this moment it does appear that I am the lone wolf here in Ohio.

Bogon07
April 29th, 2013, 11:55 PM
A few weeks ago, I was thinking how nice it would be to see a map of where all the other fountain admirer are, so I am glad that this was created! Although I'm sure that it is not true, at this moment it does appear that I am the lone wolf here in Ohio.

That can't be right. I'm sure I've InCo'd some others in Ohio as well as you such as Brian Gray of Edison Pen Co fame.

vhr5
April 30th, 2013, 04:57 AM

That can't be right. I'm sure I've InCo'd some others in Ohio as well as you such as Brian Gray of Edison Pen Co fame.

I'm sure your are right, but others have not marked the map as I have done. When I attended the Ohio Pen show last year, I met many others from all parts of Ohio and other neighboring states. Perhaps my fellow Ohioans are not familiar with the FP Geeks Forum or plainly prefer not to post their location at this time?

The only other Ohioan that I have corresponded with during InCo has been Brian Gray.

chad.trent
April 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
This confirms what I already suspected. Nobody else around me knows what a fountain pen is...

KrazyIvan
April 30th, 2013, 08:50 AM
I think a lot of people that attend shows just don't know about forums like this. I have heard that said of the "forum that shall not be named".

dannzeman
April 30th, 2013, 05:52 PM
...said of the "forum that shall not be named".
There's no censoring here. Feel free to call 'em out!

Bogon07
April 30th, 2013, 06:08 PM
All those map pins will make it much easier for the Stealth Bunnies to plan a pen nabbing run.
It would be handy for them if the flags were proportionate to the number of pens a user has :spy:

KrazyIvan
April 30th, 2013, 07:41 PM
...said of the "forum that shall not be named".
There's no censoring here. Feel free to call 'em out!

I was just feeling fecitious. :)

KrazyIvan
April 30th, 2013, 07:42 PM
I just noticed this nice barren ring around my area. Come on Albuquerque geeks, we know you are out there.

cwent2
April 30th, 2013, 09:10 PM
I find it unbelievable that I am the only FPG in Rhode Island, I realize we are a small state, but really, only me? I suddenly feel like I am on stage or something - or a TIGGAR, you know I'm the only one!

Bogon07
May 1st, 2013, 05:56 PM
I just noticed this nice barren ring around my area. Come on Albuquerque geeks, we know you are out there.
Could be the dark force eminating from the dark side in your area.

I could move my pin over there but that would be weird wouldn't it, like virtual cyberstalking. :hug:

thagbert
May 1st, 2013, 06:52 PM

He would have to actually live near other Texans to upset them! :)

KrazyIvan
May 1st, 2013, 07:01 PM
Lol. The ring falls in the shadow of the Death Star.

cwent2
May 1st, 2013, 07:58 PM

I could move my pin over there but that would be weird wouldn't it, like virtual cyberstalking. :hug:
Well it would be "something"

Luke use the force - eeeeeeeegggghhh. Nope, nothing. Just us peep frogs and the whole state of RI. emm. Jinhao 159 to the rescue - nope - nothing.

OakIris
May 2nd, 2013, 12:02 PM

Luke use the force - eeeeeeeegggghhh. Nope, nothing. Just us peep frogs and the whole state of RI. emm. Jinhao 159 to the rescue - nope - nothing.

I grew up in Rhode Island (Cumberland) - does that count?!? I now live in Colorado, however; I see there are a whole 3 members here. YAY!

A lot of members haven't participated yet; it will be fun to see the map gradually get populated.

Holly

cwent2
May 2nd, 2013, 02:03 PM

I grew up in Rhode Island (Cumberland) - does that count?!? I now live in Colorado, however; I see there are a whole 3 members here. YAY!

A lot of members haven't participated yet; it will be fun to see the map gradually get populated.

Holly

Yes that counts Holly, But I refuse to grow up. Told my wife that when we married 33 years ago in May - she didn't believe me. She does now. LOL

And yes I am sure the map will fill in - Just now it looks - well, very sparse in RI.

Waski_the_Squirrel
May 2nd, 2013, 05:31 PM
I would love to see another in North Dakota or even someone from a state touching North Dakota!

KrazyIvan
May 7th, 2013, 09:13 AM
:blink::shocked: There is a StealthBunny in my back yard. I think. You know, because it's stealth.

cwent2
May 10th, 2013, 07:42 PM
Hey I am no longer a Tigger I am not the only one in rhode island - yahhhhhhhhhhhoooooooooooooo

fountainpenkid
May 12th, 2013, 03:23 PM
I'm trying to figure out why my avatar but not my username appears not only in Madison CT but also near to John Szanto in south CA

Adhizen
May 12th, 2013, 04:48 PM
It appears I am the only person with a fountain pen obsession in whole state of Vermont... which is odd because we have more bookstores and coffee shops than most other states our size... one would think there might be a connection...

cwent2
May 12th, 2013, 04:51 PM
I'm trying to figure out why my avatar but not my username appears not only in Madison CT but also near to John Szanto in south CA
someone else using your avatar?

cwent2
May 12th, 2013, 04:53 PM
It appears I am the only person with a fountain obsession in whole state of Vermont... which is odd because we have more bookstores and coffee shops than most other states our size... one would think there might be a connection...
I had the same "problem" in rhode island and you know rhode islander's have a thing about size, cause we are the smallest state with the longest name
"The State of Rhode Island and Providence Plantations" = legal name of Rhode Island

KrazyIvan
May 12th, 2013, 07:43 PM

It's odd, I got the same thing but with my avatar. Looks to be a script or something pulling the avatar of whomever is actually looking at the location.

Adhizen
May 12th, 2013, 07:59 PM
I'm originally from Connecticut.... I get the whole small state thing...

cwent2
May 12th, 2013, 08:29 PM
I'm originally from Connecticut.... I get the whole small state thing...

;) lol

Waski_the_Squirrel
May 12th, 2013, 09:34 PM
I'm still waiting for someone in a state even touching North Dakota. I'm happy to see a few Canadians picking up the slack up in Saskatchewan. At least I'm no longer on an island.

Adhizen
May 13th, 2013, 06:37 AM
Maine and New Hampshire are mighty blank too.... I might be the only one in the New England north lands...

fountainpenkid
May 16th, 2013, 04:23 AM

It's odd, I got the same thing but with my avatar. Looks to be a script or something pulling the avatar of whomever is actually looking at the location.

I think that's probably most likely.

Mags
May 16th, 2013, 05:03 AM
Well I looked everywhere and figured out that the map is not accessed via tapatalk. I went back in to the forum via browser....Ajax Ontario is now thanks to me on the map...lol.

Sorry I am not a native Ajax resident having lived across Canada. The community has a namesake...HMCS Ajax WWII destroyer....was a munitions production area around WWII. It has about 100,000 people now. Famous folks other than a fpgeek here include Sum41 musicians...Baseball Champions from BlueJays Nigel Wilson, the Butler Brothers.....they run competing baseball facilities here in town....and there is a NBA star....from the North end of town.

Mags sent from my blackberry playbook using tapatalks

maiboo
May 17th, 2013, 03:59 PM
This map is really cool. It's crazy how far you can zoom in. I can see my house!

hamag
November 17th, 2013, 08:07 AM
Great app!
Thanks a lot
Horacio

cees achterberg
November 23rd, 2013, 10:47 AM
LOL ... there's only one member listed in France and his nick = ukpenman :blink:

Lane
November 24th, 2013, 03:42 PM
LOL ... there's only one member listed in France and his nick = ukpenman :blink:

:tea: Cheers... to our French member.

Just updated my location. Drop in by appointment only!

79spitfire
November 24th, 2013, 05:05 PM
That's funny, only 1 in all of France, but 2 in Nevada USA?

:crazy_pilot:

Is it perhaps because fountain pens are still commonly used in Europe?

Vokey
July 18th, 2014, 10:15 PM
How do you get the map to move from it present location?

Bogon07
July 19th, 2014, 05:09 PM
How do you get the map to move from it present location?
Zoom in on your location then go over to the left and click "update location" which will allow you to select and drag yourself to a new position.
Once you've relocated yourself select "save"

jokeruk
July 25th, 2014, 06:12 PM
I'm glad this question was asked as I'd never noticed the map was there!! Now added myself onto it (sunny North West England - well, at the moment!)

Mortiana27
July 26th, 2014, 12:14 PM
I'm glad too ... I've put myself on the map and was surprised to see I'm not the only one in my city who's a fountain pen geek ;)

Avalona
July 27th, 2014, 04:11 PM
I'm the only one from my part of Canada. Only one for provinces. Heh.

Brisboy
July 27th, 2014, 05:15 PM
Put myself on the map. All alone in western Queensland.

Pennanngalan
July 30th, 2014, 03:51 PM
I added myself to the map.

jadehawk
July 30th, 2014, 04:06 PM
Me too. Found a member minutes away from me.. :)

pengeezer
August 17th, 2014, 09:49 AM
Interesting map! Good thing it lets you move yourself,otherwise I'd be floating on a raft a hundred
miles off the west coast of FL.....:)

John