PDA

View Full Version : When pen flushing goes wrong

KrazyIvan
June 23rd, 2017, 09:26 PM
Horribly wrong. I was flushing my once inked Sheaffer Prelude, as in its first inking. I am very careful normally. This time the section slipped out of my hand and landed nib down on the bathroom floor. :facepalm: A few minutes later and some fiddling with needle nose pliers got it back in action. It actually writes smoother now but I lost a bit of line variation it had before. :cry: The nib slit looks a little askew but I am not messing with it anymore. It writes smooth and that's all I want for now. While I am familiar with nib alignment, and I grind my own nibs (to a certain extent) I have never had to repair a nib so severely bent before. I guess I am thankfull that the tines were not splayed.

https://scontent-dft4-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/19379304_1495853387119503_5124292731731968000_n.jp g https://scontent-dft4-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/19367504_616934091849732_7011775745580072960_n.jpg

innerlight
June 23rd, 2017, 09:34 PM
ouch... sorrie to read abt the drop and see the nib... dropping it nib down is always on my mind when I clean/flush fp to change inks.
Good save ! in getting it tweaked to be able to write!

KrazyIvan
June 23rd, 2017, 09:45 PM
ouch... sorrie to read abt the drop and see the nib... dropping it nib down is always on my mind when I clean/flush fp to change inks.
Good save ! in getting it tweaked to be able to write!

Thank you. It was always in the back of my mind too. It just never happened in so many years of flushing pens.

Chrissy
June 23rd, 2017, 11:00 PM
I think many pen users will feel your pain. :cry: It's a worry that I often have when I'm flushing out my pens. You did a great job in straightening your bent nib even though you were probably feeling rather frustrated about having to do the job at the time. :blink:

Maybe you might find someone who has a beat up or broken pen that has a good nib that you could swap in? I wish I could help, but I don't have such a nib. They can crop up from time to time on eBay though.

I wish you the best of luck with it. :)

KrazyIvan
June 23rd, 2017, 11:59 PM
I think many pen users will feel your pain. :cry: It's a worry that I often have when I'm flushing out my pens. You did a great job in straightening your bent nib even though you were probably feeling rather frustrated about having to do the job at the time. :blink:

Maybe you might find someone who has a beat up or broken pen that has a good nib that you could swap in? I wish I could help, but I don't have such a nib. They can crop up from time to time on eBay though.

I wish you the best of luck with it. :)

Thank you Chrissy, you gave me an idea. I went back to Vanness and bought the last EF Prelude nib unit they had in stock! :D

Chrissy
June 24th, 2017, 12:16 AM
Thank you Chrissy, you gave me an idea. I went back to Vanness and bought the last EF Prelude nib unit they had in stock! :D
I'm so pleased that you got one. :applause:

Farmboy
June 24th, 2017, 01:40 AM
You have exceptional discipline flushing after one fill.

Flounder
June 24th, 2017, 05:35 AM
Ouch, I feel your pain Ivan. The fates do love a good joke, so of course a bent nib is the reward for your diligence :-P

I use these little plastic beakers for basic cleaning. They're nothing fancy, just from supermarket desserts, I think raspberry panna cotta. They're filled with enough water to cover the feed, the pen can sit in the low-traffic naughty corner overnight. I use the same beakers with a piece of paper towel at the bottom to draw the dregs of the ink out of the feed, pretty labour-light.

Bathrooms and kitchens are pretty hostile places for pen cleaning, lots of hard surfaces :-(

mulrich
June 24th, 2017, 06:57 AM
Same thing happened to me once. Now I hold the pens with an iron grip anytime they're being cleaned.

KrazyIvan
June 24th, 2017, 07:01 AM

It's actually called IADD or Ink Attention Deficit Disorder. I rarely use the same ink twice in a row. I was going to switch from a brown ink to a blue ink.

KrazyIvan
June 24th, 2017, 07:02 AM
Same thing happened to me once. Now I hold the pens with an iron grip anytime they're being cleaned.

I think I will be doing the same.

KrazyIvan
June 24th, 2017, 07:06 AM
Ouch, I feel your pain Ivan. The fates do love a good joke, so of course a bent nib is the reward for your diligence :-P

I use these little plastic beakers for basic cleaning. They're nothing fancy, just from supermarket desserts, I think raspberry panna cotta. They're filled with enough water to cover the feed, the pen can sit in the low-traffic naughty corner overnight. I use the same beakers with a piece of paper towel at the bottom to draw the dregs of the ink out of the feed, pretty labour-light.

Bathrooms and kitchens are pretty hostile places for pen cleaning, lots of hard surfaces :-(

I do the same. The problem is I was flushing with a bulb syringe. Sheaffers don't seat very well on the tip of a bulb syringe. 🙁

chalkdust
June 24th, 2017, 08:12 AM

It's actually called IADD or Ink Attention Deficit Disorder. I rarely use the same ink twice in a row. I was going to switch from a brown ink to a blue ink.

I have the same disorder. I love to switch colors. I am glad this all (eventually) worked out for you. I have never touched a nib with needle nose pliers, so I also admire your skill.

Farmboy
June 24th, 2017, 09:46 AM

I'm glad I don't have this disorder. I have regular disorder, the kind where if I can find what I'm looking for in a reasonable amount of time I'm good.

If it helps, it is a little known fact that you can make any color you want by mixing the correct amounts of blue and black. Helps on cleaning for sure.

Jerome Tarshis
June 24th, 2017, 03:40 PM
If it helps, it is a little known fact that you can make any color you want by mixing the correct amounts of blue and black. Helps on cleaning for sure.

Unfortunately, the correct amounts are a *very* little known fact.

KrazyIvan
June 24th, 2017, 06:31 PM

I have the same disorder. I love to switch colors. I am glad this all (eventually) worked out for you. I have never touched a nib with needle nose pliers, so I also admire your skill.

I need to add that the nib was protected by rubber shelf liner. You don't want to do that without some barrier between the pliers and nib. In a past life I was a dispensing optician. I really wished I had a set of frame adjustment pliers. The have rubber caps to protect metal frames.

Deb
June 24th, 2017, 06:53 PM
You seem to have done quite well on your own. If you want to improve it further there are many experts out there.

Hawk
June 24th, 2017, 08:49 PM

I do the same. The problem is I was flushing with a bulb syringe. Sheaffers don't seat very well on the tip of a bulb syringe. 🙁

Ihave used a bulb syringe to flush out a Parker 61 capillary pen. Needless to say the pen became a projectile striking the sink. I am more careful now

stub
June 24th, 2017, 09:24 PM

I have no problem bulb syringing mine. I just put the cartridge piercing nipple thinging right into the bulb and squeeze away. You might have to wiggle it to get it in there right with that collar ... but another tip is: Cut a catridge in half. Put the cartridge between the bulb syringe and the pen.

Pro tip #2 The cartridge piercing nipple on a Sheaffer can sometimes fit right into the attachement on a blunt tip syringe.

Not so protip: just mate the syringe tip up with the hole in the cartridge piercing nipple that is the ink intake.

you can also bulb syringe the breather hole on the nib. Sort of.

Sheaffers are my bag so I kind spend a lot of time cleaning them. heh.

VertOlive
June 24th, 2017, 10:26 PM
I use my ultrasonic cleaner with a rubber mat on the basket to protect the part being cleaned.

stub
June 25th, 2017, 07:04 AM
I just get in the bath naked with all my pens and my bulb syringe.

stub
June 25th, 2017, 07:09 AM
or, you know put the kids to work

KrazyIvan
June 25th, 2017, 12:26 PM

I have no problem bulb syringing mine. I just put the cartridge piercing nipple thinging right into the bulb and squeeze away. You might have to wiggle it to get it in there right with that collar ... but another tip is: Cut a catridge in half. Put the cartridge between the bulb syringe and the pen.

Pro tip #2 The cartridge piercing nipple on a Sheaffer can sometimes fit right into the attachement on a blunt tip syringe.

Not so protip: just mate the syringe tip up with the hole in the cartridge piercing nipple that is the ink intake.

I like the cartridge idea. I actually have one for standard international pens. I just need an old Sheaffer cartrige.

KrazyIvan
June 25th, 2017, 12:29 PM
I use my ultrasonic cleaner with a rubber mat on the basket to protect the part being cleaned.

I use my ultrasonic cleaner sparingly. I have made plated nibs with small plating loss worse after a dip in the ultrasonic bath. This being a NOS nib would probably have been okay to go in the ultrasonic. With the bend in the nib now, I can see a little plating damage now. I will not be dipping it for now.

KrazyIvan
June 25th, 2017, 12:30 PM
or, you know put the kids to work

That is too funny!

Chrissy
June 25th, 2017, 12:58 PM

I like the cartridge idea. I actually have one for standard international pens. I just need an old Sheaffer cartrige.

Do you have one?

KrazyIvan
June 25th, 2017, 01:41 PM

Do you have one?

Eventually, I will. I purchased some Sheaffer Brown in cartridge format. :)

pajaro
July 4th, 2017, 08:42 PM
I did the same with a Prelude medium nib, and the section cracked to boot. I then found on ebay a 3-nib set of italics including an italicy EF nib for about $23 shipped. That EF nib is a great improvement over the medium, and I have two wide italics as well. Some accidents are providential.

KrazyIvan
July 4th, 2017, 08:50 PM
I did the same with a Prelude medium nib, and the section cracked to boot. I then found on ebay a 3-nib set of italics including an italicy EF nib for about $23 shipped. That EF nib is a great improvement over the medium, and I have two wide italics as well. Some accidents are providential.

Nice. I found a replacement nib unit. I have not installed it because my fixed unit is working fine. I have the spare if I need it, so all is good. I'll have to look into those italics.

Chrissy
July 4th, 2017, 11:14 PM
It's always good to hear there is a happy ending to what started out as a sad story :)

amk
July 5th, 2017, 03:30 AM
Two big pieces of advice:

* put the plug in the sink! never lose a nib down the plughole again!

* Always have a plate, pan, or tray to use to stop your pens rolling off the work surface, as if they can... they will!

I'm impressed with the nib work. I recently repaired a couple of vintage (1940s/50s) Waterman nibs that had obviously had the same treatment, and there's that moment before you do the first tweak when the words "You really, really don't want to do this" go through your head... both of them are now happy and good writers, though there's a little bump that shows where the bend used to be (and despite burnishing on my home made nib block, it won't go away).

Scrawler
July 23rd, 2017, 08:35 AM

That is terrible. You should do as I do, which is to use a different pen for each colour.

KrazyIvan
July 23rd, 2017, 02:23 PM

That is terrible. You should do as I do, which is to use a different pen for each colour.

That would affect the other disorder where you use a pen constantly with different inks. :crazy_pilot:

lowks
August 11th, 2017, 06:58 PM
This reminds me of a Legacy I had back in the day. I loved it, then someone at my work place (I worked in a Electronic manufacturing plant) dropped it on the floor and the nib looked like your nib. Another colleague straightened out the nib and surprisingly it wrote better than before! Alas, during the time when I was in college I lost that green legacy :-(

Woody
August 14th, 2017, 07:29 PM

I need to add that the nib was protected by rubber shelf liner. You don't want to do that without some barrier between the pliers and nib. In a past life I was a dispensing optician. I really wished I had a set of frame adjustment pliers. The have rubber caps to protect metal frames.

Sorry about that nib. Those soft plastic nib pliers are apparently handy. Been meaning to pick up a m pair.