PDA

View Full Version : Fair price?

stevekolt
June 24th, 2017, 05:34 PM
I hope this is OK. I am thinking about selling a few J's. But I don't see any in the marketplace and want to put a fair price on them for both the buyer and myself...

Jon Szanto
June 24th, 2017, 05:37 PM
It's kinda tricky, because the market ebbs and flows, but never by much. It *seems* that the going rate is good between $20-30 range; with some kind of fancy nib, you could ask more. The people who ask for the moon on eBay for a basic J setup don't sell that many.

I've got a bunch I've been meaning to sell, and I won't do it until you are done, but those are the ranges I'll shoot for - $20 for a very standard issue pen and nib, up to $30 for something a little more desireable. Any of the items that would go for more I'll be keeping at the moment. HTH

stevekolt
June 24th, 2017, 05:46 PM
Thank you John. I am posting five and appreciate you consideration. Now...know anything about Vacumatics? ;)

Jon Szanto
June 24th, 2017, 09:29 PM
Thank you John. I am posting five and appreciate you consideration. Now...know anything about Vacumatics? ;)

Not on your life!

pajaro
June 25th, 2017, 09:37 AM
I would guess the buyers would want them all restored freshly, etc., etc., etc. Too much work so I haven't gotten rid of mine.

Farmboy
June 25th, 2017, 12:58 PM
I would guess the buyers would want them all restored freshly, etc., etc., etc. Too much work so I haven't gotten rid of mine.

I prefer pens in an unrestored as found state.

Jon Szanto
June 25th, 2017, 01:42 PM

I prefer pens in an unrestored as found state.

As far as general public pen sales go, you are an outlier. That's not a bad thing.

pajaro
June 25th, 2017, 02:49 PM
Except for the Safari Touchdown-type fillers, I have already restored all mine. The last potential buyer wanted me to restore the pen he wanted again. These aren't worth enough to be bothered with restoring them again, there goes some more cost into a pen they will give you a hard time getting $25 for anyway.

Jon Szanto
June 25th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Except for the Safari Touchdown-type fillers, I have already restored all mine. The last potential buyer wanted me to restore the pen he wanted again. These aren't worth enough to be bothered with restoring them again, there goes some more cost into a pen they will give you a hard time getting $25 for anyway.

Try and keep in mind that not everyone views it as a "bother". I don't do a lot of pens, and I certainly don't do it to make any kind of money, but I find the task of restoring pens - even simple sac replacements - to be enjoyable and relaxing. If I pick up a pile of Esties for next to nothing, get them sacced and cleaned up and sell them for a reasonable price, I'm happy. It isn't always a burden.

pajaro
June 25th, 2017, 06:34 PM

Try and keep in mind that not everyone views it as a "bother". I don't do a lot of pens, and I certainly don't do it to make any kind of money, but I find the task of restoring pens - even simple sac replacements - to be enjoyable and relaxing. If I pick up a pile of Esties for next to nothing, get them sacced and cleaned up and sell them for a reasonable price, I'm happy. It isn't always a burden.

I find an individual restoration enjoyable, but forty-odd restorations are an expense and a goodly amount of work. Especially for pens never used since the last restoration.

gweimer1
July 1st, 2017, 03:19 PM
I find that I enjoy the work of restoring pens over the actual having them. The majority of what I get, I restore as best I can (and I'm always learning and expanding my skills), and then sell them. Repeat. Often. It's a fun little business I've gotten started.

Deb
July 2nd, 2017, 03:55 AM
I find that I enjoy the work of restoring pens over the actual having them. The majority of what I get, I restore as best I can (and I'm always learning and expanding my skills), and then sell them. Repeat. Often. It's a fun little business I've gotten started.

I agree. I've always found restoration a pleasure rather than a bother.

Stickler
July 3rd, 2017, 06:09 PM
Feel free to contact me if anyone is getting rid of their Esterbrooks.. I think they are beautiful.

ac12
July 4th, 2017, 09:11 PM
About $40 (restored/new ink sac) at the Pen Show.

penfancier
July 23rd, 2017, 03:27 AM
What is the best way to sell 300 Restored Esterbrooks
TOm

Farmboy
July 23rd, 2017, 09:31 AM
What is the best way to sell 300 Restored Esterbrooks
TOm

As a group to make it as easy as possible. If you have a list I might be interested at wholesale pricing.

Jordan Weiss
August 5th, 2019, 07:55 AM
Tom- I'd be interested in buying the Esterbrooks as a group. Feel free to send me a message or an email at JDWeiss427@gmail.com. Thanks, Jordan