PDA

View Full Version : SOLD BHR Harris "cone cap" semiflex EF

Ahtzib
June 27th, 2017, 06:28 PM
Pen is sold! Thanks.

I'm selling this fantastic restored vintage Harris black hard rubber (BHR) slip cap (or "cone cap") with 'warranted' 14k nib. Pen is a lever-filler.

I acquired this pen from Richard Binder's legendary "Pen Show Tray" in March 2014. The listing was marked with the red nib alert, signifying a notable nib: in this case, a wonderful flexy gold nib with smooth, expressive line variation. (Definitely one of the nicest nibs I've ever used!)

According to Richard's online Glossopedia of Pen Terms, J. Harris & Co. was founded in NY sometime in the 1910s and it is estimated that this particular pen was manufactured c. 1915. This pen even spent some time in Richard's own collection!

Overall, this pen is in great condition:

BHR was professionally re-blackened. (Any appearance of fading in the pictures below is due to my mediocre lighting!)
Chasing is crisp and the BHR is an even, shiny black.
Pen was professionally re-sac'd after I got it.
Indicia on the cap is still blank.
Lever is springy; shows some minor brassing at the base but is mechanically sound.
No cracks or chips. There are a couple small "bite marks" in the section, which were already there when I got the pen.
The nib is extraordinary: an EF (as graded by Richard) semi-flex that provides wonderful line variation with little effort. It's a wet writer, as you'd probably expect. Though not a wet noodle, an incredibly expressive nib that is really a joy to write with. (See writing sample below.)

In all, a gem of a pen and a stunning historical artifact in excellent condition. Please see pictures below and don't miss your opportunity to grab this amazing pen...formerly a featured star of a Pen Show Tray!

Price reduced to $126 via PayPal, shipped USPS Priority to a PayPal-verified ConUS address.

Harris, capped w/ writing sample

Detail: 'Warranted' nib

Detail: Lever

Detail: Blank indicia

Harris, posted w/ writing sample

Writing sample w/ MB Tolstoy Sky Blue on Rhodia Dot

RocketRyan
June 29th, 2017, 06:13 AM
Nice pen.

Ahtzib
June 30th, 2017, 06:23 PM
Thanks, RocketRyan! This really is a nice pen that would be a great addition to a vintage collection and/or a superbly expressive writer. The pen looks practically new and is very comfortable to use. A first rate HR pen!

Since I'm bumping it here, I'll also mark it down slightly to $137.

Ahtzib
July 3rd, 2017, 07:06 PM
Bump!

As a feature on the on the Pen Show Tray, you'd only have about 30 seconds to grab this fully restored classic HR pen with a "notable," flexy vintage nib. Time is on your side with this listing, though...now's your chance to pick up a professionally-restored early American-made fountain pen, with some really sweet vintage flex!

Lunaelsol
July 5th, 2017, 04:35 AM
pm you

Ahtzib
July 5th, 2017, 11:10 AM
Pen is still available!

Ahtzib
July 12th, 2017, 09:02 AM
Harris pen is still available -- price reduced. Great opportunity for a classic pen with a really cool vintage nib!