PDA

View Full Version : Why I Like FP Geeks.

thagbert
April 23rd, 2013, 01:56 PM
Greetings,

I am a noob to fountain pens. When I started, I looked around on the Interwebs to find a community and resources to learn more and immerse myself in the world of fountain pens. I looked at the elephant (gorilla) in the room; FPN, and was instantly overwhelmed. Waaayyy too much information with FP overlords overseeing everything. Rather intimidating for a noob.

I then found FP Geeks and felt instantly at home. Everyone was very friendly and ready with advice and information. No one used jargon or abbreviations. Everyone spoke plainly and was very patient. It did not feel like an exclusive club, but more of a casual environment where beginners could learn about fountain pens without feeling totally clueless or intimidated.

In the face of new members coming in, I hope this community can retain its casual feel and friendliness. I am grateful to be a part of this group and the individuals that make it what it is.

Thanks,
thagbert

Special thanks to KrazyIvan!

KrazyIvan
April 23rd, 2013, 03:15 PM
[Auto disclaimer bot] Me? I didn't do it, nobody saw me do it, you can't prove anything. :p [/Auto disclaimer bot]

Seriously though, I am not sure what I did but I am happy you feel that way. You are welcome.

fountainpenkid
April 23rd, 2013, 05:31 PM
Great to hear that you are liking it here! I agree, FPN has become very "busy" and it is very hard to follow anything unless you use the "my content" thing. There is a bit more hostility there as well. I selfishly hope that this forum doesn't grow as large as FPN for that reason.

jor412
April 24th, 2013, 01:35 AM
FP Geeks really does have a relaxed atmosphere which I likewise appreciate. And it seems to me that members moderate themselves and each other, which so far has been working out quite well.

southpaw52
April 24th, 2013, 12:02 PM
Glad you here and enjoying your time here.

drgoretex
April 24th, 2013, 03:39 PM
Well, here's a big thanks to FPGeeks for having me on board. I have long been a resident at another FP forum, and had enjoyed it because I could not only talk about cool production FPs and collecting them, but also about making FPs - sharing pics and tips with other pen makers. After some changes there, the pen making forum appears to have pretty much died. So when the FP making subforum was created here at FPGeeks, I was thrilled.

I look forward to FP related chat, and I hope to see some of my fellow pen makers work here soon!

Ken

BikerBabe
April 24th, 2013, 04:04 PM
Thagbert: I agree with you, the atmosphere here is much more relaxed, and it's loads easier to learn new stuff.
People are more open and friendly, and that makes it a lot easier for us newbies to get to know the various users - and learn more about the hobby we all share.
I appreciate any kind of help that I get here, and I just hope that I can be just as helpful some day. :)
That's why I like it better here, even though there's tons of information to be found at FPN.

thagbert
April 24th, 2013, 06:19 PM
Thagbert: I agree with you, the atmosphere here is much more relaxed, and it's loads easier to learn new stuff.
People are more open and friendly, and that makes it a lot easier for us newbies to get to know the various users - and learn more about the hobby we all share.
I appreciate any kind of help that I get here, and I just hope that I can be just as helpful some day. :)
That's why I like it better here, even though there's tons of information to be found at FPN.

Yes, I agree BikerBabe, FPN is like the Wikipedia of Fountain Pens. Lots of information.

dannzeman
April 24th, 2013, 07:34 PM
FP Geeks really does have a relaxed atmosphere which I likewise appreciate. And it seems to me that members moderate themselves and each other, which so far has been working out quite well.
As admins, we try to keep a hands-off approach and let the community work things out. We think everyone here is smart enough and responsible enough to do that. So far, it's worked out well.

thagbert
April 26th, 2013, 08:37 PM
As admins, we try to keep a hands-off approach and let the community work things out. We think everyone here is smart enough and responsible enough to do that. So far, it's worked out well.

Thanks for everything that you do!!!