PDA

View Full Version : Pen Posse I forgot to make the announcement edition

AltecGreen
July 7th, 2017, 12:34 AM
I forgot to make the announcement. Then again, we have a standing weekly Pen Posse until October. Next weeek will also be at Peter's because someone is coming from out of town.

Sunday July 9th

1:00 pm

Peter's Cafe
10 El Camino Real, Millbrae, California 94030

Farmboy
July 7th, 2017, 12:39 AM
I forgot to make the announcement. Then again, we have a standing weekly Pen Posse until October. Next weeek will also be at Peter's because someone is coming from out of town.

Sunday July 9th

1:00 pm

Peter's Cafe
10 El Camino Real, Millbrae, California 94030

Most novels come in one of two flavors: A stranger comes to town and Someone goes on a journey.

Pen Posse a Stranger comes to town?

penwash
July 7th, 2017, 07:48 AM

Some day I'd like to be that someone coming from out of town.

Jerome Tarshis
July 7th, 2017, 11:09 AM
4030[/QUOTE]

Most novels come in one of two flavors: A stranger comes to town and Someone goes on a journey. [/QUOTE]

I'd had no idea FarmBoy took an interest in how novels are described, in discourse addressed to students of writing or literature. The more contemporary thing would be to say that most screenplays come in one of two (or of course 42) flavors.

Which arouses my curiosity: has the world of social media evolved narrative entertainments I know nothing about, and are there thought to be only two plots, or 36 plots, or some other number commensurate with The Way We Live (and Think) Now?

I recently came upon a novel of our time that purports to be about a couple who decided that their life path would be to create such a narrative, and to do it they actually needed to conduct their courtship and marriage in the new-media space. So to speak. Since I'm not even on LinkedIn, I didn't buy the book.