PDA

View Full Version : Help me identify this Sailor, please!

hungrynerd
July 17th, 2017, 04:51 PM
I need help identifying the brown pen. It was advertised as a Chalana, but is too fat & body doesn't match. (See the red chalana next to it.)

Ahriman4891
July 17th, 2017, 05:29 PM
Chalanas have their own special cartridges, right? Does the mystery pen take a Chalana cart or a regular Sailor one?

hungrynerd
July 17th, 2017, 05:36 PM
I haven't tried putting a cartridge in since it's uninked and don't have a regular sailor converter handy. The chalana converter only covers part of the feed post, so I'm confident it's not a chalana.

hungrynerd
July 17th, 2017, 06:00 PM
Through some googling, this seems like a match: http://zeak.air-nifty.com/main/2006/11/post_cd8f.html based on body (Sailor Recruit) but the nib is exactly like the mystery pen in the post...

penwash
July 18th, 2017, 07:28 AM
The nib on the Chalana is no.1 if I recall correctly, so the mysterious pen which has the number 2 on the nib was probably be a larger model for those who think that Chalana is too slim (I am one of those).

hungrynerd
July 19th, 2017, 05:23 PM
Any idea what the model might be? More googling led me to Sailor Hoscal, but again the body seems off though the nib fits.

lowks
July 20th, 2017, 10:08 PM
Wow that reminds me of a Sheaffer Fashion.

hungrynerd
August 27th, 2017, 11:52 PM
Mystery solved!!!!! SF Pen show was just so much fun - and one of my favorite moments goes like this:

Mike Masuyama solved a mystery for me that had stumped every Japanese pen collector. I had a not-Chalana Sailor. It's slim, in the same tea-colored pattern as a chalana from an 80s catalog, but it is most definitely not a chalana.
Ricky sent it around to the people he knew - no one knew. I had emailed Sailor USA and Sailor Japan for an ID with no success...
As he's grinding a pen for me, I'm showing a recently acquired pen to someone next to me, and he asks about the not-Chalana. I mention that I know it's an 80s sailor, but no one could tell me what it is...
Masuyama takes one glance at it, and says "I know what that is. It's an M85." Turns out he used to sell that pen as a young salesman for Sailor!! It was produced in mid to late 80s. Original version was all steel, and sold for $7.

Oh, to have a time machine. :)