PDA

View Full Version : Aurora 88 disassembly help

Sagebrush64
July 18th, 2017, 11:42 AM
Howdy all,
I've had this Aurora 88 for a while now and the gasket has finally failed. I've done some online searching and I came across a post regarding the disassembly of the pen, but I've run into a hitch.
The instructions say you should be able to remove piston assembly through the front after removing the section.
The problem I've run into is that the threads on the front of the barrel are preventing the gasket from exiting the barrel.
Does anyone have any experience with this repair and if so, what am I missing?? Brute force???
Thanks in advance, :baby:
James

Jon Szanto
July 18th, 2017, 11:46 AM
You might try contacting Dan Smith at nibsmith.com. He had either a blog post or an old post here somewhere about doing repairs on the vintage 88 pens. I hope "brute force" is not the answer, because that is how vintage gets broken!

Sagebrush64
July 19th, 2017, 01:21 PM
Thanks Jon,

I did contact Dan, who advised me that you need to unscrew that first washer with the split slot.....I don't think I have the tools for this and I don't want to risk damaging it....Who does repairs on these beauties?

Thanks,

James

Jon Szanto
July 19th, 2017, 01:56 PM
Thanks Jon,

I did contact Dan, who advised me that you need to unscrew that first washer with the split slot.....I don't think I have the tools for this and I don't want to risk damaging it....Who does repairs on these beauties?

Thanks,

James

Why, Dan, of course! He worked on mine. Reasonable rates, quick turnaround (though he's probably prepping for the DC show...) I know there are others, too, and maybe other people here can suggest, but that would be an obvious choice from my perspective.

Sagebrush64
July 19th, 2017, 02:32 PM
Duh.....Of course!
Thanks again for your input!
I've contacted him about his availability.
Regards,
James

fountainpenkid
July 19th, 2017, 05:06 PM
Eldon Braun also does good work on these pens. Perhaps a shorter turn-around than Dan, if you really want it back soon.