PDA

View Full Version : Please advise - Sheaffer oversize

Denizzz
July 18th, 2017, 12:29 PM
Dear Friends and fellow hobby enthusiasts, would you be so kind to advise!

i am currently in a search of one Sheaffer vintage pen, but am not sure about which should i pick.

I like the size of the M800 Pelikan pens, and not smaller as in size as well and in girth, the grip section should be very similar in girth.

I am fond of Lifetime nibs, especially triumph ones, but would definitely like the normal lifetime ones.

Please advise regarding the filling system. i want to choose between vac and the lever filler.

Thank you in advance for you kind advices!

p.s. i had several Sheaffer admirals with triumph nibs and they were a bit to narrow for my hand.

mhosea
July 18th, 2017, 05:36 PM
I also like that size of pen, though the M800 is too long, IMHO. At any rate, these are the ones that come to mind.

Sheaffer 8C -- large flat-top lever filler (shorter than M800 unposted, but maybe not so different when posted)
Sheaffer Oversize Balance -- lever or vac (shorter than M800, especially unposted)
Sheaffer PFM -- TD filler (shorter than M800, and doesn't match the choice of fillers, but is girthy).

Of these I guess my favorite is the 8C. Some folks swear by the PFM, but I change ink colors too often, and I like to rotate my pens in and out of use. The difficulty of cleaning the PFM thoroughly is really tailored to somebody who keeps the pen in service and doesn't change inks for it, IMHO.

Jon Szanto
July 18th, 2017, 05:42 PM
And Mike just said everything I would have. I might put the OS Balance above the 8C, but I like them both very much - preferred writers. If you want to edge a little more into the recent 'vintage', you could consider the Sheaffer Legacy II, which has similar dimensions to the PFM but a little more weight, and no Snorkel to deal with.

Denizzz
July 19th, 2017, 04:53 AM
And Mike just said everything I would have. I might put the OS Balance above the 8C, but I like them both very much - preferred writers. If you want to edge a little more into the recent 'vintage', you could consider the Sheaffer Legacy II, which has similar dimensions to the PFM but a little more weight, and no Snorkel to deal with.

Thank you guys for great opinions. i really appreciate that, will check the models!

Denizzz
August 26th, 2017, 04:23 AM
Guys, just bought 1 Sheaffer Full size balance lever fill with lifetime nib in green marine and one Flat top in jet black lever fill both in great condition, will try and post some interesting info later after i get them. :) Once again thank you for advices

Seattleite
November 18th, 2017, 02:29 AM
Hey Denizzz,

I hope all is well, and that your pens have arrived. As much as I have enjoyed buying pens from around the world, I like hearing about what others' think of our classic designs.

Take care, Bob