PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Lovely old celluloid USA 3rd tier NoName pen. Mid 1930's

Lexaf
July 20th, 2017, 10:23 AM
After been away here from the forum for quite some time I'm picking up the pieces.
I decided to start over with some clearance sale of my collection.
Here is one:

A USA made 3rd tier NO Name pen, typical for the 1935 era. Awesome celluloid pattern.

The design is very typical for the cheaper American pens from that era, such as the Wearever, the Epenco the Venus, Majestic and many more. Probably even more of these pens were manufactured without any branding at all. The were many, many of them, but very few survived the 80 or more years since they left the factories.
This pen is one of these unbranded beauties. Probably sold as a one dollar pens in a stationary shop or Mom&Dad grocery store.
It is completely restored by me and writes soft & smooth with an F to M medium wet line.

Specifications:
Material: Barrel and cap are made of brown marbled celluloid.
Section and feeder are made of black ebonite/hard rubber.
Clip and cap band are made of brass, most of the nickle or gold plating is gone.
As the original nib was almost completely rusted, I replaced it wit a period correct, N.O.S steel Signature no.4 nib, with a folded point, no iridium.
Filling system: Lever filler with an new (also N.O.S.) rubber ink sac.
Length capped: 132mm
Posted: 120mm
Without cap: 108mm
Width over barrel: 11,5mm
Over cap:12,5mm

Asking US$ 25,-- for this beautiful old pen.

Shipping is us $ 10,-- for unregistered no tracking standard priority lettermail, worldwide, or us$ 20, for registered mail, incl. track&trace
(Sorry, shipping charges have gone up like crazy!)

When interested, please click HERE (lexvangalen@gmail.com), to send me an e-mail.
Payment by PAYPAL only.

Please see the pictures, thanks for viewing.

Lexaf
July 20th, 2017, 03:53 PM
Made a reservation. Sold pending payment.

N6GQ
July 20th, 2017, 04:07 PM
Just curious, how do you know its USA made? Does it have a "Made in USA" imprint?

kevmid
July 20th, 2017, 05:43 PM
Great pens you are posting here! I would have bought that one. Welcome back!

Lexaf
July 21st, 2017, 03:49 AM
Just curious, how do you know its USA made? Does it have a "Made in USA" imprint?

It has no imprint at all. But this pen is, looking at the design; shape, material, celluloid pattern, etc, so significantly USA made that I am 100% sure. I even think this pen is made in the Wearever factory. Wearever was by far the largest fountain pen manufacturer in USA, maybe even in the world in those days (1930's). They made cheap pens, that sold for 1 or 2 Dollars. Many under their own brand Wearever, but there were lots of subbrands, like 'Onward', 'Pacific', 'Banker', 'Vogue', 'Pioneer', just to mention a few. Besides that they produced numerous NoName pens, that were sold as, what we would call now OEM production, in individual stationary and bookshops.

I took some 'lookalike' pens from my collection of Wearever pens. See the pictures below:
no. 1 and 2 = Wearever
no. 3 = Banker
no. 4 = Keystone
no. 5 = a plain 'A' in a circle, also a subbrand of Wearever
no. 6 = a Wearever again.

Note that no. 5 is made of exactly the identical celluloid stock as the NoName pen I offered for sale here.

Just to be sure: the other pens I show here are NOT for sale! Just for reference.

Lady Onogaro
July 21st, 2017, 02:41 PM
Thank you for this lesson and comparison, Lexaf. The colors of this one and the bands in all the comparison pens are very interesting.

Lexaf
July 22nd, 2017, 06:42 AM
SOLD. Pen is on its way to a new home. Thanks Guia!:crazy_pilot: