PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Nakaya Desk Pen in Ao-tamenuri with Rhodium Broad Mottishaw smooth cursive italic nib

mcmck
July 20th, 2017, 05:20 PM
I'm considering selling my mint condition Nakaya desk pen in Ao-tamenuri. This one has a rhodium plated broad nib that was customized by John Mottishaw into a smooth cursive italic. It comes with box, papers, and kimono. This particular model has green everywhere--throughout the section, on the threads as well as the lip, and on both ends of the pen. It really is stunning. And this color is now no longer available. Asking price for this pen will be $600, shipped. CONUS and PayPal only. Thanks!

mcmck
August 10th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Bump

mrincon
August 10th, 2017, 01:45 PM
Why must you do this to my wallet... I'll take :-)

empliau
August 10th, 2017, 02:38 PM
Did you have two of these? That's an embarrassment of riches!

fpnut
August 10th, 2017, 02:42 PM
Did you have two of these? That's an embarrassment of riches!

It would need to be three. I have dibs too. :D I messaged at 12:39pm. I think we're both out of luck.

empliau
August 10th, 2017, 03:50 PM
No, it's just I thought it was sold in April:

fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/20080-Nakaya-Desk-Pen-in-Ao-Tamenuri-with-Broad-Mottishaw-Smooth-Cursive-Italic-Ruth-Nib

And I bought one from nibs dot com. Got _very_ lucky, although the stub did need adjusting.

fpnut
August 10th, 2017, 04:09 PM
No, it's just I thought it was sold in April:

fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/20080-Nakaya-Desk-Pen-in-Ao-Tamenuri-with-Broad-Mottishaw-Smooth-Cursive-Italic-Ruth-Nib

And I bought one from nibs dot com. Got _very_ lucky, although the stub did need adjusting.

Still, a stub... nice. Even with need to adjust it.

I thought it was sold too. I don't need one at all, but admit to liking the Ao-tame

mcmck
August 10th, 2017, 05:50 PM
For the record, I did have two of these. One with a ruthenium nib and this one with a rhodium nib. This one is sold pending funds. Thanks for all of the interest!

empliau
August 10th, 2017, 05:56 PM
Ruthenium vs. rhodium - and I didn't notice. And after all the mystery novels I've read.

Just out of curiosity, which did you like better with the ao? I have yellow gold to match the stand, but I do hope for another someday.

fpnut
August 10th, 2017, 06:03 PM
Just out of curiosity, which did you like better with the ao? I have yellow gold to match the stand, but I do hope for another someday.

I don't have any ao, but I think I would prefer other than yellow gold. I could be wrong. I care more about the finish than the color of the nib/stand in this particular instance.

mcmck
August 10th, 2017, 06:04 PM
That's a tough one. But for the ao, I liked the rhodium better. I once had a amo-iro piccolo with ruthenium and it did not look good at all. I think the ruthenium looks really good on the black and matte finish. Otherwise, I'd recommend yellow or rhodium.

fpnut
August 10th, 2017, 06:11 PM
That's a tough one. But for the ao, I liked the rhodium better.

That was my thought, but I've never seen ruthenium so no frame of reference.

fpnut
August 10th, 2017, 06:12 PM
Congrats on the sale!

empliau
August 10th, 2017, 06:22 PM
My ao looks good with yellow gold. I had seen it with yellow gold at the LA pen show, so I liked it. Some say rhodium makes for a stiffer nib, although I don't know if that's true.

mcmck
August 10th, 2017, 06:27 PM
I didn't experience the stiffer nib issue either rhodium or ruthenium nibs. In reality, I found the cursive italic customization to be a bit smoother on the ruthenium nibs than any of the others. i like the aesthetics of the rhodium, however.

mrincon
August 10th, 2017, 08:32 PM
I think if you have a more blue Ao, then the gold will play very nicely with it. For me what's been an issue is having multiple pens with different yellow shades of gold. Platinum sometimes has that issue. But even my sailor KOP suffers from this - the nib is much lighter than the dark yellow trims.

McKool
August 10th, 2017, 09:28 PM
Might you please mark this as SOLD in your Title then.....

mcmck
August 10th, 2017, 09:38 PM
I waited until funds were sent. They have now been sent. So I will mark it as sold.