PDA

View Full Version : Cousins aka am I seeing double ?!

lowks
July 20th, 2017, 09:58 PM
Check these two guys next to each other, Heritage 92 and Wing Sun 698

http://i.imgur.com/HjNGKWK.jpg

lsmith42
July 21st, 2017, 08:28 AM
Put it next to a TWSBI 580, and you'll have truer cousins.

sezna
July 21st, 2017, 08:37 AM
Do you own these? Is there a discernible difference in quality?

Jon Szanto
July 21st, 2017, 08:55 AM
The Chinese copy a pen. Imagine that.

sezna
July 21st, 2017, 09:16 AM

Sometimes they do a better job :)

Although to be fair, I'm not seeing much similarity other than piston-filled demonstrator pens.

lowks
July 21st, 2017, 09:18 AM
Do you own these? Is there a discernible difference in quality?

Lets put it this way, you will know you are using the pilot even when you are blindfolded

lowks
July 21st, 2017, 09:19 AM

The chinese pen for it's price is very well dome and has good flow. The plastic feed with some blue ink is also breath taking

sezna
July 21st, 2017, 10:41 AM
Even if they look similar at first glance, the pens honestly look very different. The piston, clip, rings, size, cap, and everything are different.

Jon Szanto
July 21st, 2017, 02:25 PM

The chinese pen for it's price is very well dome and has good flow. The plastic feed with some blue ink is also breath taking

I did not weigh in on the pen's quality or function. They make iPhones in China, being no strangers to the ability to manufacture to high standards. And while it it true that these two pens don't seem *remarkably* similar, there are many other pens that - had the wanted to - a Chinese manufacturer could have come up with a unique pen that worked very well, and yet they decided to simply rip off a design. So close to a fake that one might be tempted to call it a fake.

I have Wearevers from the 1930s with transparent feeds, and yes, it's a fun feature.

lowks
July 21st, 2017, 06:08 PM
The thing about the Wing Sun 698 is though, when you use it even blindfolded you will know that it's the Wing Sun 698. It's hard to describe. It's not like the pen is scratchy or anything, but you know that you are using that Fine nib.

Brilliant Bill
July 21st, 2017, 07:30 PM
Peterbilt makes trucks...

so does Tonka.