PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a sailor?

Josephtibbetts
July 21st, 2017, 03:42 PM
I've been looking the sailor pro-gear line up for a while, and toying with which one to try, any advice?

jar
July 21st, 2017, 04:17 PM
Start with the Pro-Gear KoP. Then stop.

Josephtibbetts
July 21st, 2017, 04:25 PM
Fair enough, nib selection? I mostly use western Fines, mediums, and sometimes broads.

jar
July 21st, 2017, 04:40 PM
Then a medium should be safe.

Brilliant Bill
July 21st, 2017, 05:11 PM
I concur with jar!

Driften
July 21st, 2017, 07:59 PM
I've been looking the sailor pro-gear line up for a while, and toying with which one to try, any advice?

If it was me, I would go with the standard model with a Medium or Medium-Fine nib. Going for the largest most expensive KOP model when you don't know if you would like it seems to hold more risk. That said, if you like your pens large that could be your pen. I would stay away from the slim model. Nothing wrong with it, but I think more people would like the larger one better.

Josephtibbetts
July 21st, 2017, 08:10 PM

If it was me, I would go with the standard model with a Medium or Medium-Fine nib. Going for the largest most expensive KOP model when you don't know if you would like it seems to hold more risk. That said, if you like your pens large that could be your pen. I would stay away from the slim model. Nothing wrong with it, but I think more people would like the larger one better.

I'm toying with the idea of a Realo right now

Driften
July 23rd, 2017, 03:19 PM

I'm toying with the idea of a Realo right now

Not a bad way to go! I happen to like piston fillers and a lot of people really don't like the converters from Sailor so the Realo is a good way to go.

Quantum Sailor
July 23rd, 2017, 03:38 PM
If you like firm/hard nibs with some feedback the sailors are hard to beat. Though the Realo's don't offer much more ink capacity than the converter if I remember correctly so you could probably save yourself a couple hundred dollars starting with a full size Pro Gear or 1911.

LeFreak
August 5th, 2017, 01:54 AM
If you like firm/hard nibs with some feedback the sailors are hard to beat. Though the Realo's don't offer much more ink capacity than the converter if I remember correctly so you could probably save yourself a couple hundred dollars starting with a full size Pro Gear or 1911.Just curious. In your opinion, How much feedback are we talking about? Are Sailor nibs as feedback-y as Platinum nibs?

stub
August 5th, 2017, 03:58 AM
Progear I (Progear IIs have that clip)

Go big, get a B.

Esp. if you have an normal to high angle. Sailors run small and have zoom-like facets carved into them at the top of the ball tipping, which renders the nib hilariously fine. If you have a low hold angle you will get something much smoother and broader.

Sailor makes all their nibs with a mild zoom aspect to to them.

Don't bother with the realo.

b/cause they realo expensive and realo don't hold any more ink.

sgtstretch
August 9th, 2017, 01:36 PM

But with the Realo you don't have to deal with the most disappointingly crappy converter than only holds 4 drops of ink, and that falls apart and leaks all the time.

Vespagirl
August 9th, 2017, 02:46 PM
I love my Realo, but I did hold out and found a good deal on eBay. I also have two 1911s and they are great but there is just something about the Realo!

The 1911 M/F has a bit of feedback but not bad. The Fine (I borrowed from a friend) has a noticeable amount of feedback. The Broad (which is on my Realo) is smooth with just a note that you are writing on something (my friend likes feedback and instantly sot out a broad nib once she tried it). The Music nib I have runs dry, so I don't think I can give a fair assessment. That pen is the only Sailor of the three which writes dry, so I think it is just that pen.

Good luck, I'm sure you will find a good match.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wade
August 9th, 2017, 06:53 PM
I recently bought a Taccia Spectrum with a music nib (thanks again Moonkata/Samantha), my understanding is their nibs are made by Sailor, and this one certainly looks just like the Sailor two-tine music nib. It is a phenomenal writer, juicy and smooth. Just putting it out there, in case a Taccia may be an option as well for the OP.

stub
August 9th, 2017, 08:57 PM

But with the Realo you don't have to deal with the most disappointingly crappy converter than only holds 4 drops of ink, and that falls apart and leaks all the time.

you make a good point. Sailor converters are craptacular.

Quantum Sailor
August 10th, 2017, 10:00 AM
If you like firm/hard nibs with some feedback the sailors are hard to beat. Though the Realo's don't offer much more ink capacity than the converter if I remember correctly so you could probably save yourself a couple hundred dollars starting with a full size Pro Gear or 1911.Just curious. In your opinion, How much feedback are we talking about? Are Sailor nibs as feedback-y as Platinum nibs?

I only have one Platinum and it doesn't have any feedback at all really. So on that comparison I would say Sailor's have more feedback. But I'm not sure about other Platinum nibs.

LeFreak
August 10th, 2017, 01:06 PM

I only have one Platinum and it doesn't have any feedback at all really. So on that comparison I would say Sailor's have more feedback. But I'm not sure about other Platinum nibs.Thanks. I picked up a Sailor pro gear slim and it's a bit more graphite-like in feel than I'd like. I might give it a swirl on micro mesh.

Sent from my MotoE2 using Tapatalk

Josephtibbetts
August 10th, 2017, 02:58 PM

I only have one Platinum and it doesn't have any feedback at all really. So on that comparison I would say Sailor's have more feedback. But I'm not sure about other Platinum nibs.Thanks. I picked up a Sailor pro gear slim and it's a bit more graphite-like in feel than I'd like. I might give it a swirl on micro mesh.

I've never tried to smooth my own nibs before... Always been worried about making them too smooth

LeFreak
August 10th, 2017, 04:07 PM

I've never tried to smooth my own nibs before... Always been worried about making them too smoothMe, too. I plan to ask my local pen geeks for assistance.

stub
August 10th, 2017, 05:02 PM
I've never tried to smooth my own nibs before... Always been worried about making them too smooth

try a cheap nib.

mylar can cut a foot into a nib really fast, beware.

For a gentle smoothing go easy with fine micromesh, micromesh likes to be wet so keep your pen inked, easy pressure, some 'e's, some up strokes, some diagonals, s some figure 8s, sign your name a few times.

You are still inked so wipe the nib & test on paper.

lather, rinse, repeat.

for a rougher feel just don't go down to the finer levels. I like a little tooth so I usually forgo the final grades.

YOU MUST HAVE A LOUPE so you can monitor what you are doing.

It can be really easy to grind a foot into your nib. You can take it off but can't put it back on so easy does it.

(& make sure your tines are aligned first, in fact you might find that alignment takes care of your issue entirely)

That's all I got. Smarter peeps will prolly chime in.

Quantum Sailor
August 11th, 2017, 12:35 AM

Thats my experience as well. I have one Sailor that has a spot in the nib that writes really smooth, but it's very small and I rarely ever hit that angle right. I like the feel of the nibs though so I don't actively try to hit it. It's just an occasional surprise.

This topic is making me want to go ink up my Sailors though.

Chrissy
August 11th, 2017, 05:19 AM
I've been toying with the idea of getting a Realo for quite some time. I've never done anything about it though. :confused:

LeFreak
August 11th, 2017, 02:12 PM
I really like the fit and finish of the pro gear slim I just got (ivory lamé aka harvest moon) .

Cyril
December 1st, 2017, 06:10 PM
I have few Pro gear slim. Fine and medium nibs.
Pilots and Platinum they all have a different feel to your writing experience.
They are good writeres. The characteristics of FEEDBACK is very subjective. I like the feed back / or toothy for somebody language. I like a nib talks with the paper when writes. Depending on paper you use that feedback sounds get different.
But the feedback feeling dosent trouble of the smoothness of these japanise pens. The fine nibs write within fine lines and looks DRY as the flow in the tines are very slim and ninimized. Platnum and Sailor high in FEEDBACK but that is the quality of the nibs.
If someone like a chinese Jinhaos nib and say very smooth and if someone want to replace that with a Jowo/ Bock with a smooth feedback experience, then that is the exact experience with the japanese nib for me. If you ever use a Pilot falcon SF nib that is the scratchy nib out of all Pilots pens. That pen has a great potential in Spencerien type writing than a a quick fast writing. So if you can adapt to certain style of writing finding a better nib is always a challenge.