PDA

View Full Version : Grail pens you didn't know were grail pens?

Josephtibbetts
July 25th, 2017, 06:59 PM
What were/are your grail pens you didn't know were grail pens until after you got them? For me, that pen is the Waterman Carene, just a perfect pen.

VertOlive
July 25th, 2017, 07:10 PM
If I get your drift you mean pens I bought which I hadn't realized I'd like so much once I got them?

If so, it would be my matte black Safari with its black Pendleton Brown BLS nib.

Josephtibbetts
July 25th, 2017, 07:38 PM
If I get your drift you mean pens I bought which I hadn't realized I'd like so much once I got them?

If so, it would be my matte black Safari with its black Pendleton Brown BLS nib.

Correct, that's basically what I mean.

Ahriman4891
July 25th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Lamy 2000. Massdrop had it and I thought, "Well, might as well try it and see what all the fuss is about". Didn't expect to like it much, but love it now.

Josephtibbetts
July 25th, 2017, 09:13 PM
Lamy 2000. Massdrop had it and I thought, "Well, might as well try it and see what all the fuss is about". Didn't expect to like it much, but love it now.

I've been looking at the 2k

penwash
July 25th, 2017, 10:34 PM
I haven't found a "grail" pen yet.

I have a few "dream" pens. One that I thought I'd never enjoy is the Pilot Vanishing Point.
Now I like these enough to find the rarer models.

RocketRyan
July 25th, 2017, 11:16 PM
The sheaffer pfm, didn't even know I wanted one.

inklord
July 26th, 2017, 05:37 AM

I've been looking at the 2k
That was my experience - I just wanted an alternative to my gaudy Pelikans - and now the l2k is by far my favorite pen!

dapprman
July 26th, 2017, 06:05 AM
To be a pedant ;)
If you have the pen it's not a grail. Grail comes from The Holy Grail, an item always sought but never found (or with modern items, not found at a cost level that could be bought by the seeker) ;)

Gratz, however, on finding a pen you really like :D

jodylud
July 26th, 2017, 07:26 AM

Ditto, and now I own three. :D

Paddler
July 26th, 2017, 01:33 PM
To be a pedant ;)
If you have the pen it's not a grail. Grail comes from The Holy Grail, an item always sought but never found (or with modern items, not found at a cost level that could be bought by the seeker) ;)

Never found? Speak for yourself. I have found it. And I need never go a-grailing again. It is a Sheaffer Valiant, lever fill, military clip, and upturned nib tip. It is a superb writing utensil. The pinnacle of the pen maker's art.

Waski_the_Squirrel
July 26th, 2017, 04:57 PM
I can think of two. One was my amazing Centropen 100820. It is gorgeous and has the most amazing flexible nib of any pen I've ever owned. I wanted it because it was exotic and attractive. But it far exceeded expectations.

The other is also a vintage pen. I was always curious about the Aurora 88. Since the modern version is too much for my taste, I started looking at vintage. They were in my range. My first one was destroyed in the mail. Since then, I've purchased two more, both of which survived the mail. They are delights. They may even take the place of the Lamy 2000 as a daily writer.

Robert
July 26th, 2017, 06:20 PM
For me it is my Conid Regular Bulkfiller. I knew I would like the pen, but I didn't appreciate that the thing is truly a work of art until I lived with it for a while - the unique filling system, the exceptional engineering, interchangeable nibs (the titanium medium writes like a dream), and exceptional service after the sale. I couldn't ask for better. If I had to chuck all of my pens save one, this would be The One.

Josephtibbetts
July 26th, 2017, 06:43 PM
For me it is my Conid Regular Bulkfiller. I knew I would like the pen, but I didn't appreciate that the thing is truly a work of art until I lived with it for a while - the unique filling system, the exceptional engineering, interchangeable nibs (the titanium medium writes like a dream), and exceptional service after the sale. I couldn't ask for better. If I had to chuck all of my pens save one, this would be The One.

I keep hearing about these, but I just can't find myself justifying the price for one.

penwash
July 26th, 2017, 09:31 PM

If you're coming to the Dallas Pen Show in 8-9 September, would you bring this pen and show it to me, please?
I've heard a lot about this brand and spoken to the designer (about other things), but I've never had a chance to try it myself.

Stickler
July 27th, 2017, 05:44 AM
The Sheaffer Prelude .. not very expensive but has become one of my favorite for the weight, size and how it writes.

RocketRyan
July 27th, 2017, 10:31 AM
It is a pen that punches well above it's weight.

Jon Szanto
July 27th, 2017, 02:25 PM
Once again, this is totally devaluing and making meaningless the concept of a "Grail" pen. Just consider the original (purported) quest for the Grail.

This is a very old horse, and I don't intend to beat it once again, but it just makes me go "ffs!"

A pen that changed my entire perspecitve once I tried it and eventually got one? Sheaffer PFM.

Hawk
July 27th, 2017, 02:51 PM
If I truly found a grail pen, then I wouldn't keep buying more pens. I have quite a few that I consider grail pens, each with different attributes. For example: size, color, material, type of nib, filling system, modern or vintage etc. I don't think there is only one pen that fits for me. My challenge for you that have a grail pen, would you get rid of the rest of your fountain pens? Would you buy a duplicate one incase something happens to the one you have? On the whole, I am enjoying this post.

FredRydr
July 27th, 2017, 03:07 PM
I didn't know my Conid was a grail pen until I discovered it said so in the instructions.

Fred

inklord
July 27th, 2017, 03:57 PM
If I truly found a grail pen, then I wouldn't keep buying more pens. I have quite a few that I consider grail pens, each with different attributes. For example: size, color, material, type of nib, filling system, modern or vintage etc. I don't think there is only one pen that fits for me. My challenge for you that have a grail pen, would you get rid of the rest of your fountain pens? Would you buy a duplicate one incase something happens to the one you have? On the whole, I am enjoying this post.
Glad you're having fun, Hawk! That's essentially what happened to me (5L2k's, and counting) especially now that I am learning to grind their nibs into all sorts of funny tip shapes...

dapprman
July 27th, 2017, 04:17 PM
I didn't know my Conid was a grail pen until I discovered it said so in the instructions.

Fred
It might be by accident but I can hear John Clease or Eric Idle saying this ....

I've tried a Conid and while it looked and felt like an amazing piece of engineering, and of superb quality, it also left me feeling cold. Personal taste of course and the tolerances on it were sublime. Perhaps it was just a bit too perfect with a some what average nib.

Robert
July 27th, 2017, 04:33 PM
Sure thing, Penwash. I'm still undecided about making the trip to Dallas, but if I go the Conid will go along for the ride.

BCDDiggler
July 27th, 2017, 05:33 PM
Original Noodler's Konrad (flex) that brought me into using fountain pens. Love the demonstrator to watch inks, good capacity and some decent flex with a decent size. I always have one for EDC.

Scrawler
July 27th, 2017, 06:29 PM
Original Noodler's Konrad (flex) that brought me into using fountain pens. Love the demonstrator to watch inks, good capacity and some decent flex with a decent size. I always have one for EDC.

As they say "chacun a son gout". I hated mine and gave it away to the first youngster who showed an interest, in hopes it would lead to them discovering more pens.

Scooby921
July 27th, 2017, 08:31 PM
I got one on the Massdrop deal too. Really enjoying it. It doesn't qualify as liking more than I thought I would though. I had played with one before making the purchase and knew what I was getting.

I think the pen that really got me was a Sailor Pro Gear. I bought it after reading about how wonderful Sailor nibs are. I thought it was nice, but for some reason I convinced myself that it wasn't my favorite pen and I should sell it. It was only after I sold it that I realized how much I loved the nib and how well that pen fit my hand. It really was wonderful, so I now own another one. I have to say the Faber Castell Ondoro thoroughly surprised me too. I received one as a gift and had never touched a GvFC pen before. The medium steel nib glides across the page well beyond my expectations.

top pen
July 28th, 2017, 03:13 AM
Diplomat Balance C cured my itch for weird looking pens.

Kaputnik
July 28th, 2017, 08:46 AM
I can think of a couple of ways of interpreting the question, although I don't quite hold with the idea of a "grail pen" to begin with.

It could mean, what pens have you bought that you subsequently found were much sought after by others. Like naively picking up a Montblanc special edition cheaply at a yard sale and only later finding out what it normally sells for and how well it writes. I've never been in that position, that I know of. There are probably enough gaps in my fountain pen knowledge that it's still conceivable, but it requires an uninformed seller as well as an uninformed buyer.

Or the way that people seem to be understanding the question, what pens have you bought, not expecting that much from them, that turned out to be among your best writers? Most of my best writing pens have been ones that I had high hopes for when I bought them. But I could include one of my two Montblanc Noblesses (which don't go for as much as the modern luxury models). The first one needed a nib regrind before I liked the way it wrote, but the second turned out to have one of my best extra fine nibs without any modification.

And there is a Sheaffer's 3-25 Flat Top from the 1930s that I picked up for $18. After putting in a new sac and aligning the nib, it turned out to be an amazing writer. You know what, I'm down to two inked pens at the moment; I think I'll go ink it now.

Kaputnik
July 28th, 2017, 08:53 AM
To be a pedant ;)

Gratz, however, on finding a pen you really like :D

To be equally pedantic. :)

At least in Le Morte d'Arthur, Galahad, Bors, and Percival do find the Grail. Of course, they can't bring it with them. The point of finding it is not to own it, but merely to see it. But if the grail had a nib, perhaps they could test write with it first.

RocketRyan
July 28th, 2017, 10:23 AM
We all understand the concept of grail being unattainable, but like the word decimate, and quarantine the original meaning is often nothing to do with the casual usage being applied here. Let's just enjoy the thread.

Kaputnik
July 28th, 2017, 10:43 AM
We all understand the concept of grail being unattainable, but like the word decimate, and quarantine the original meaning is often nothing to do with the casual usage being applied here. Let's just enjoy the thread.

Actually, with respect, and I don't think it spoils the thread, I don't think the concept of a "grail" implies unattainability. It implies that once achieved, one has arrived and there is nothing left.

RocketRyan
July 28th, 2017, 10:55 AM

Actually, with respect, and I don't think it spoils the thread, I don't think the concept of a "grail" implies unattainability. It implies that once achieved, one has arrived and there is nothing left.

It wasn't a dig at anyone, just gets said so often, I thought it was worth nipping the definition nuts in the bud.
I am full of booze today, so apologies if I'm even less eloquent than usual.

notsim
July 28th, 2017, 12:58 PM
its strange that the word grail means so many different things to so many people. While I might look at it as the elusive limited availability pen, others think of it different. For me, the Omas 360 in arco brown celluloid is a grail.

RocketRyan
July 28th, 2017, 02:45 PM
its strange that the word grail means so many different things to so many people. While I might look at it as the elusive limited availability pen, others think of it different. For me, the Omas 360 in arco brown celluloid is a grail.

I think it's safe to say your not alone there. Beautiful pens.

Waski_the_Squirrel
July 28th, 2017, 05:36 PM
I don't mind a grail pen being obtainable. They should not should be easily obtainable: there should be some scarcity or cost that require sacrifice to get them. I could write a check for my grail pen right now. Actually, I could buy more than one if I don't mind not having savings anymore. It would be about a $900 check, but I could do it. I won't because that would be more sacrifice, at least for a pen, than I'm prepared to make at this point in my life.

For lack of a better, commonly accepted term, I don't mind "grail pen." One could say, "Goal pen" or "Aspirational pen" but I don't run into these words. Language sometimes evolves beyond original definitions and, in the fountain pen world, it seems to have gone beyond the original meaning from L'Morte's work. In fairness, that is probably in part because many have not actually read that version of the legend. But the same happens with many symbols and words. Ken Ham is trying to reclaim the rainbow for purely Christian meaning. I would like the reclaim the word theory for its scientific meaning. But language does not behave.

inkisdry
July 29th, 2017, 05:20 AM
What were/are your grail pens you didn't know were grail pens until after you got them? For me, that pen is the Waterman Carene, just a perfect pen.
Just bought the glossy red and blue! Both with fine nib. Quite nice!!

inklord
July 29th, 2017, 09:38 AM
...m-maybe we are out of the world of grails and into the world of ultimate satisfaction - whether that is a good thing or not...

kaisnowbird
July 30th, 2017, 05:13 PM

Lamy 2000 was one for me too, after it returned from Pendleton Brown. A more recent one would be the Pelikan M800 Renaissance Brown.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sammyo
July 30th, 2017, 09:56 PM
If I get your drift you mean pens I bought which I hadn't realized I'd like so much once I got them?...
Correct, that's basically what I mean.

Based on the clarification on the first page...

I have to say it is a combination pen I built from some cheap Pilots.
I got a black Pilot 78G and put in the black feed and XF nib from a Pilot desk pen...

Not only did I not realise how much I was going to enjoy writing with this pen, I also loved the looks of the thing. It's all a glossy black, including the feed!
I didn't really write with fine nibs before this pen either!, I was a stub, broad or flex only kinda guy... this pen set up changed me completely and I now own a number of F & XF nibbed pens!

p.s. great question!

SIR
July 31st, 2017, 12:04 AM
A grail pen does not necessarily need to be so extremely removed from perceived attainability that it is unobtainable, although that is often a factor; but i do think it must be desirable to the point of obsession, and that desirability must make an otherwise easily dismissed extravagance a more realistic and justifiable, albeit distant, prospect.

Josephtibbetts
July 31st, 2017, 04:40 PM
A grail pen does not necessarily need to be so extremely removed from perceived attainability that it is unobtainable, although that is often a factor; but i do think it must be desirable to the point of obsession, and that desirability must make an otherwise easily dismissed extravagance a more realistic and justifiable, albeit distant, prospect.

You have to lust after it, like you would a beautiful woman or a handsome man, it has to occupy your thoughts to the point of distraction, you have to crave it in your hand.

pengeezer
July 31st, 2017, 07:08 PM
One of my "grail" pens happened to be a Chilton Wingflow,and the one that I bought was the typical black
but with sterling silver inserts instead of gold--far better than I expected.

John

Amanda
August 10th, 2017, 07:13 AM
The pen that surprised me most is a transparent grey Pilot Custom Heritage 92 with a fine nib bought secondhand from an impulsive eBay bid. The nib has a lovely, unexpected softness that makes it my favourite drawing pen. I like it's filling system, the colour and the ink capacity. I did not anticipate the 92 would become my constant companion, while the Pilot Falcon SF which I lusted after for so long has been a teeny bit of a disappointment.

RocketRyan
August 10th, 2017, 07:24 AM
An Aurora Optima Asia with a fine nib of all things has surprisingly become my edc , thought it would be a special occasion pen, but it's won me over.