PDA

View Full Version : Avoid the big guy

The20cenaddict
July 25th, 2017, 07:55 PM
I feel very comfortable with this forum. Another site, however, requires a lottery win background. The Fountain Pen Network does not allow someone to place an ad in the classifieds section, for the following reason:

"You can't post a Classified Ad until you're a Gold Member, and that takes at least 30 days and 30 posts in any forums excluding Chatter"

I mean, give people a break. Hooray for the Geeks.

davelindberg
July 25th, 2017, 08:01 PM
+1 Hooray for the Geekd.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

snowbear
July 25th, 2017, 08:06 PM
I guess it keeps people coming in and just flooding the site with ads without really contributing, otherwise. It doesn't really bother me one way or the other.

They do have some other issues, though.

zaddick
July 25th, 2017, 08:42 PM
Given there is far more traffic and eyes on FPN, it is a reasonable request to only allow engaged members to post. It does not seem unreasonable to me.

You also avoid some of the snark you can find on these ads because others cannot comment publicly, other than to ask a question.

So use the site you like more.

And honestly, this is not really a classified so this is not the best place for this comment except you wanted to express your opinion and have the most people see it.

Empty_of_Clouds
July 25th, 2017, 09:59 PM
After the debacle of one particular member spamming the classifieds for a year or more... yeah, nah. As they say around our way. Pretty much the same characters advertise on both spaces, and if they are abusing then they tend to be equal opportunity abusers. Bit like some of the PIF entrants too.

Chrissy
July 26th, 2017, 02:00 AM
Given there is far more traffic and eyes on FPN, it is a reasonable request to only allow engaged members to post. It does not seem unreasonable to me.

You also avoid some of the snark you can find on these ads because others cannot comment publicly, other than to ask a question.

So use the site you like more.

And honestly, this is not really a classified so this is not the best place for this comment except you wanted to express your opinion and have the most people see it.
I agree. Why post this comment in the Classified For Sale forum?

stub
July 26th, 2017, 02:54 AM

Except that by going out of your way and posting this in the wrong place you pretty much just went and pooped right in the fpgeeks punchbowl. Thanks.

:nono:

s_t_e_v_e
July 27th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Anyone remember that person/bot on FPN called "claudio"?
She/He/It spammed about 100 separate FS ads and when she/he/it pushed the ads to the top, the first several pages were only her/his/it's ads.
It wasn't fun at all :mad2:

dapprman
July 27th, 2017, 10:36 AM
There's one forum I'm on (an UK centric, though international airsoft one) where not only do you have to be registered for a minimum period of time and have a minimum post count number, but also their public sections (especially the introduce yourself one) do not accrue post counts.

jar
July 27th, 2017, 12:23 PM
Too bad there isn't a 90 day waiting period here.

Freddie
July 27th, 2017, 01:09 PM
The 90 Day Grace Period a most excellent addendum.........

Fred

Passion v Reason

Hawk
July 27th, 2017, 01:11 PM
If I am interested in purchasing something from the classified section, I look at their member status as a guideline as an indicator of their reputation. If I am not sure, I read some of their posts/replies as a 'seat of the pants' feeling. A new member who comes on board and wants to sell something before posting many messages makes me wonder....

Flounder
July 27th, 2017, 03:06 PM

Except that by going out of your way and posting this in the wrong place you pretty much just went and pooped right in the fpgeeks punchbowl. Thanks.

:nono:

Sheiiiit - if this gonna be *that* kinda party I'm gonna stick my dick in the mashed potatoes!

edit - that's a beastie boys reference, I'm not a party-pervert.