PDA

View Full Version : Aurora 88 Nebulosa disassembly

adhoc
July 26th, 2017, 09:21 AM
Greetings everyone,

does anyone know if the nib unit and the piston unit can be disassembled on this pen like on the Pelikan M800/1000 series?

Thanks for every input!
Regards

Ahriman4891
July 26th, 2017, 10:25 AM
It is possible (http://kmpn.blogspot.com/2009/09/sailor-1911-realo.html), but I don't know the exact steps involved.

EDIT: not sure if the pics will show up for you due to the recent Photobucket change of terms...

adhoc
July 26th, 2017, 10:38 AM
Thanks. The pictures indeed are not available. The nib unit seems to not be removable from the barrel, as answered by one of the owners over on reddit. That's a shame. Kind of a deal breaker for me, if I can't even clean the pen out thoroughly and can't regrease the piston.

Chrissy
July 26th, 2017, 11:09 AM
I thought nib units were removable from Optimas and 88's. :confused:

sgtstretch
July 26th, 2017, 11:35 AM
I thought nib units were removable from Optimas and 88's. :confused:

They are, at least all the modern ones. They unscrew just like a Pelikan or Jowo nib unit.

fountainpenkid
July 26th, 2017, 11:45 AM
Those here have it right--the nibs do unscrew, just not as easily as Pelikan's. This will allow for greasing, but I'm not sure they're designed to be unscrewed frequently (between fills).

Ahriman4891
July 26th, 2017, 12:29 PM
In my experience the nib unit unscrews pretty easily. The nib is seated firmly in the unit and remains properly centered on the feed. The threads are plastic, so reasonable care must be taken not to cross them. A good approach when screwing in anything is to twist backwards (i.e. "unscrew") until a click is heard/felt, that means the threads have mated. Then gently screw in.

EDIT:

The pictures indeed are not available.

I have them saved on my computer, I can upload them later today when I get home from work.

adhoc
July 26th, 2017, 12:48 PM
I've been told that specifically only the Nebulosa from 88 line does not have an unscrewable nib...does anyone have a Nebulosa and was able to unscrew the nib? If yes, then I would buy it...today.

Ahriman4891
July 26th, 2017, 04:59 PM
As promised, the pics of the disassembled Aurora 88 Demonstrator. Disassembled Sailor Realo for comparison.

Photos taken by KMPN (http://kmpn.blogspot.com/)! I am merely reposting them, because of Photobucket shenanigans.

I kind of doubt they would make the Nebulosa special -- the nib unit on the celluloid Optimas does screw out, right? And the Nebulosa differs only minimally from those -- but who knows.

adhoc
July 27th, 2017, 12:52 AM
You are right - that was misinformation from a few people. I have contacted an owner of this pen and the nib is 100% unscrewable - for any potential searchers of this information in future.