PDA

View Full Version : body material for Pelikan 140

bearhung
July 30th, 2017, 01:48 PM
I've just bought my first Pelikan, a vintage Pelikan 140, one with the classic green-striped body which I like very much. However, I'm not quite sure about what material does its body made of. While it looks like ordinary plastics (resin) to me, on some auction sites the sellers have described the material as cellulose.

1. May I know what material does the body of 140 really made of?

2. Is there any special care instruction for pens made of cellulose? Say can it be soaked in water when cleaning just like modern fountain pen?

Thanks.

Pelikan-Vera
July 30th, 2017, 11:35 PM
Hi Bearhung
I would not submerge a Pelikan ever, as water can get between the barrel and the outer cellulose sleeve and these can become loose and split. I do not know what the base material is. enjoy your pen as I think posted the 140 is just awesome. Vera

mana
August 2nd, 2017, 12:24 PM
140? Barrel is made of acrylic, sleeve/binde of celluloid. Soaking the entire pen for extended periods of time is never recommended, you can wash/clean it by hand without problems though.

Celluloid is not that susceptible to damage from cold water. Would not use hot water though (might cause warping and in the case of Pelikan bindes, make them come loose due to the adhesive dissolving).

Overall, heat, esp. open flame and celluloid is a very bad combo (goes up in flames real easy).

The materials to which water is a real no-no are any kind of a hard rubber (black, red, woodgrain, swirly, whatever...) and casein.

Hard rubber gets discolored and dulls real fast if in contact with water (mere minutes can sometimes be enough).

Casein is made of milk so it warps and gets soft.

mana
August 2nd, 2017, 12:29 PM
Oh, some 140 (unicolor like black, grey, blue, green) are made entirely of acrylic and modern thermoplastics. So they are less prone to experiencing problems (like zero) if in contact with water. That does not include the trims and other metal parts though aside from the 14k nib... I have a few black ones, they are among my favorite EDC pens. :)