PDA

View Full Version : 1950's 146 trial

fountainpenkid
July 31st, 2017, 09:25 PM
I'm not sure if anyone else thinks these are a thing on this scale (FPN has good record of people passing around TWSBIs and Esterbrooks around to newbies, of course). But I'll continue anyway. I've been working on a thorough comparison of 3 notable 1950s German pens--the Pelikan 400, Soennecken 111, and Montblanc 14X--and have an example of each one I've been working with. My Soennecken is the normal-sized "Superior" model, while the Montblanc is a 142 in grey stripe. The more I write with each of these pens side-by-side, the more I realize how much more valuable this would all be if I had a comparably-sized Montblanc in the mix. I am in no position, however, to shell out what seems to be at least $600 for a 146 (the 142, an excellent deal at $350, was still a stretch.) If anyone would be interested in sending me their example for a few weeks (3 at most), I would be so grateful. If it makes this any more likely, I'm willing to send $200 as insurance before the pen ships. ( to be refunded once the pen is back with the owner). If you're up for this, or know someone who might be, shoot me an email at wplatt@conncoll.edu
To be clear, I am NOT interested in any post-telescopic piston model.

Thanks!

fountainpenkid
August 2nd, 2017, 10:08 AM
It should be assumed, but yes, I will of course pay shipping both ways.

fountainpenkid
November 12th, 2017, 03:30 PM
An update: while I just about gave up on the triple-comparison idea, I thought I'd give it one more try. I currently own a 1950's OMAS 557/F in black**--lovely pen of comparable size and interest to a '50s 146. If anyone would be interested in a temporary swap (my OMAS for your 146), let me know. I would be psyched if I could get this to happen. I'd even consider throwing in my Torelli-modified Parker "51" Flighter if that would make this any more likely.

**the pen is currently listed for sale in the classifieds here. I would obviously de-list it as soon as such temporary swap arrangement were made.

Oh, and, if you have all 3 of these pens and like to write reviews...what have you been waiting for? It is a comparison that should have happened ages ago.

Chrissy
November 12th, 2017, 04:25 PM
I only wish I had the particular pen you want, I would have let you borrow it. Sadly, my Montblancs aren't old enough.

I hope someone has one and they see the value of this comparison that you are trying to do. :) Good luck. :)

Marsilius
November 12th, 2017, 05:21 PM
I have a 50s 146, I think. If I can get it to you, I will be happy to share it for a bit. It might not be in perfect shape, but it has a smooth nib and writes beautifully. You can PM me, if you like. The nib is marked B but feels like a stub.
Also, newbie enough to not know what you mean by post-telescopic, but I know I need to wind my piston all the way up and then back again to make it do its job, so it seems more complicated than later model pistons I have.

fountainpenkid
November 12th, 2017, 06:28 PM
I have a 50s 146, I think. If I can get it to you, I will be happy to share it for a bit. It might not be in perfect shape, but it has a smooth nib and writes beautifully. You can PM me, if you like. The nib is marked B but feels like a stub.
Also, newbie enough to not know what you mean by post-telescopic, but I know I need to wind my piston all the way up and then back again to make it do its job, so it seems more complicated than later model pistons I have.

p.m sent!

jar
November 12th, 2017, 07:21 PM

The normal MB "B" nib is very stub like.