PDA

View Full Version : Cleo Skribent Classic Black with Platinum plated trm

Uncle Red
April 26th, 2013, 10:29 AM
I'd been looking at these pens for a while and finally decided to pull the trigger. I ordered from Papier Plume in New Orleans, LA on Sun. The tracking number for the package was emailed to me the same day and I received my pen and ink (for a later review) on Thursday. You don't need to see the USPS box, we all know what they look like. I threw the outer cardboard sleeve on to the floor behind me and was left with this classy box

Cleo Skribent is a small company in the former East Germany, they advertise 100% hand made pens.
The Box is opened

The Pen

Under the pad, where's the cartridge or converter?

That's right, this is a piston filler

My first impression was that the Classic felt more like a vintage eyedropper than any modern pen I've held. It's the constant taper from the wide part of the barrel through the section, you can grip the pen however you want. The balance is good both posted and unposted and it's long enough that the pen should be easy for even the biggest hands. The piston is plastic and turns smoothly, I was surprised how much ink was sucked up, it's not a TWSBI but it does hold a good amount. I got the steel nib but 14K gold nibs are an option.
A writing sample on Triomphe paper

Here's the Classic beside a TWSBI 540, both capped

and uncapped

So we're clear, the Classic is longer than the 540 but thinner. The nib on the Classic is smaller.

KrazyIvan
April 26th, 2013, 11:17 AM
Wow, that is a very classy looking pen. I like the MB look of it. Seeing it next to the TWSBI is a nice size reference. Thank you for sharing and welcome to the board Uncle red. :)

Uncle Red
April 26th, 2013, 11:23 AM
Nice being here, thanks for the welcome.

tandaina
April 26th, 2013, 11:31 AM
I hit their website, they have some VERY interesting looking pens!

Uncle Red
April 26th, 2013, 12:58 PM
Yes they do. The Ebonite Piston filler looks nice to me but I don't have the cash for that.

fountainpenkid
April 26th, 2013, 02:29 PM
It looks like a great pen, but they seem to be very hard to find...especially if you want a piston filler like yours but with a 14k nib...

Uncle Red
April 27th, 2013, 10:24 AM
Try Papier Plume if you don't mind gold trim

fountainpenkid
April 27th, 2013, 11:24 AM

Thanks! $210 doesn't seem bad at all...but I really would only want one in silver trim...maybe you can order from Cleo Skribent themselves?

writingrav
April 27th, 2013, 11:28 AM
Oh great another pen I never heard of to put on my list:) Seriously, thanks.

Uncle Red
April 27th, 2013, 03:51 PM
My work here is done! ;)

Magpie
May 8th, 2013, 08:48 AM
That's a nice looking pen, and another addition to my ever growing wish list.

snedwos
May 12th, 2013, 03:58 PM

Thanks! $210 doesn't seem bad at all...but I really would only want one in silver trim...maybe you can order from Cleo Skribent themselves?

http://www.stylusfinepens.com/pens/cleo-skribent/classic-piston/

Unless you insist on gold...

Robert
May 12th, 2013, 04:40 PM
What a pen: understated elegance at a decent price. I'll put it on my list of "wants."

fountainpenkid
May 12th, 2013, 04:42 PM

http://www.stylusfinepens.com/pens/cleo-skribent/classic-piston/

Unless you insist on gold...

I sadly would insist on gold with this one...maybe the company sells direct.

Uncle Red
May 13th, 2013, 01:23 PM
You could ask Papier Plume if they'll do a special order. Or check with Passion 4 Pens.