PDA

View Full Version : Pen Posse I Hope It's Not 113 Degrees Outside Edition

AltecGreen
August 2nd, 2017, 10:29 PM
The show is right around the corner so we are getting in gear. Just got back from Vegas where is was 106 at 9 pm.
We might discuss the current raging pen controversy. Nothing like a good old fashioned flame war.

Sunday August 6th

1:00 pm

Peter's Cafe
10 El Camino Real, Millbrae, California 94030

LeFreak
August 2nd, 2017, 11:29 PM
Hoping to make it. I love a good controversy.

Farmboy
August 2nd, 2017, 11:43 PM
Exciting.

Is it the flame vs dry heat or the shellac vs teflon issue?

LeFreak
August 2nd, 2017, 11:48 PM
Exciting.

Is it the flame vs dry heat or the shellac vs teflon issue?Heck if I know! AG said there was a pen controversy.

Jerome Tarshis
August 3rd, 2017, 05:21 AM
Exciting.

Is it the flame vs dry heat or the shellac vs teflon issue?Heck if I know! AG said there was a pen controversy.

We have three days for the controversy to appear. In the age of social media, a lot can happen in three days.

Farmboy
August 4th, 2017, 01:58 AM
I hope we can debate the merits (and demerits) of the three principle styles of the Parker 21 clutch ring and what to do (and not do) when you lose one.

AltecGreen
August 4th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Exciting.

The controversy involves "The Fountain Pen Network" Facebook group and open revolt due a moderator who has been accused by many members of various things. This of course caused a splinter group to form. Like the FPN forum, people are getting banned for reasons as simple as breathing air and it is all going to pot. I was added to the splinter group for some unknown reason and it's filling my feed with people talking about banning. And then Lisa made a post on the Pen Posse page about this and it became a thing.

There are deeper issues since the person who triggered this is an interesting story involving pen trades, pen repair, etc.

On another controversy front that seems to be developing, there seems to be issues in DC based on the posts that are popping up on my feed.

LeFreak
August 4th, 2017, 01:20 PM
Oh, Facebook... The root of many a broken friendship.

Hoping to make it Sunday to meet y'all.

ethernautrix
August 4th, 2017, 06:58 PM
To be fair, Facebook doesn't seem to be at fault. Seems that Facebook--or the Internet--helped people who were ripped off in trades (they sent their pens and received only excuses instead of pens) discover the common denominator: a moderator of "THE" group (The Fountain Pen Network).

I admit to spending way too much time skimming all the hundreds (or thousands) of comments (most are very, very brief). But you know? It was worth it when said-mod was penis-glitter bombed and (in good humor, it seemed) posted a photo and said that because he'd opened the package in his truck, every time he got out of the truck, he trailed glitter dicks, and someone called him a dick fairy. Look at me, giggling again like a teenage virgin. Dick fairy is hilarious, though.

Spants
August 5th, 2017, 09:39 PM
Oh my. That sounds hilarious. You wouldn't happen to have a link handy for that would you?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Jon Szanto
August 5th, 2017, 09:59 PM
I just want to know the name of the splinter group and how I can join.

Farmboy
August 5th, 2017, 10:12 PM
I just want to know the name of the splinter group and how I can join.

The Bent Nibs. A relatively new 5 man blues band and review. Bring you sticks and I'll see if you can bang one out with them as a guest drummer.

LeFreak
August 6th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Today didn't work for me, alas.

Will there be another meeting before the SF pen show?

ethernautrix
August 7th, 2017, 09:01 AM
Oh my. That sounds hilarious. You wouldn't happen to have a link handy for that would you?

Sent from my LG-H900 using Tapatalk

Not handy at the moment (also, rushing to close open browser windows and go off on a longish bike ride). If you're on Facebook, you could join one of the FPN groups (they're closed, so you'd have to join to see it). Not THE Fountain Pen Network group; the other one, the new one, without "the."

OR... I could try to post the screenshots here (maybe not this thread, cos waaaay off-topic), later.

I want to say that it's funny to me not because "dick fairy, hurhurr, 'dick fairy,'" but cos of the whole exchange--the image of the "damage" in the truck (not hugely messy), then the brief conversation between the glitter-bombed guy and a commenter.

As for Pen Posse meetings... pretty sure they're happening every weekend (Sundays most likely) 'til the SF Pen Show. I envy you all who attend!

LeFreak
August 7th, 2017, 11:48 AM
As for Pen Posse meetings... pretty sure they're happening every weekend (Sundays most likely) 'til the SF Pen Show. I envy you all who attend!

Thanks!