PDA

View Full Version : What Brand of Inks do you Avoid Using

southpaw52
August 22nd, 2017, 11:50 AM
We all have our own ink preferences, what inks do you avoid using in your pens?

ShugPug
August 22nd, 2017, 11:53 AM
We all have our own ink preferences, what inks do you avoid using in your pens?Quink - I see the bottle and think school exams...

KKay
August 22nd, 2017, 11:54 AM
Private Reserve is the only brand I can think of that I have avoided on purpose.

naimitsu
August 22nd, 2017, 01:33 PM
Private Reserve, Noodler's, Organics Studio, Anderson.
I've tried a few inks, and for the most part they all feel excessively dry to me. Very unpleasant to write with, and the ones with undesired effects make me really not want to risk finding others.

LeFreak
August 22nd, 2017, 03:22 PM
It's shorter for me to list the inks I trust, but I actively avoid Noodlers and most of the small producers. (not saying Noodlers is small)

jar
August 22nd, 2017, 03:35 PM
Noodler's. There are lots I simply never have tried and that I'm unlikely to try.

Chrissy
August 22nd, 2017, 03:48 PM
I have avoided using many Noodler's and Private Reserve inks, as well as all IG or pigment based inks

fqgouvea
August 22nd, 2017, 03:49 PM
None of my pens is so valuable that I need to worry about long-shot possibilities, so I've been willing to give all brands a try.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

FredRydr
August 22nd, 2017, 05:55 PM
Noodlers.

VertOlive
August 22nd, 2017, 05:57 PM
Iron gall in general unless it's a dip pen.

Sailor Kenshin
August 22nd, 2017, 05:59 PM
I have a lot of sample vials, small bottles and carts of too many brands...but I only use Noodler's or PR in cheap, easy-to-clean c/c pens.

Lady Onogaro
August 22nd, 2017, 10:09 PM
Iron gall and shimmers.

migo984
August 22nd, 2017, 11:10 PM
Iron gall and shimmers.

I'm OK with IG inks, but ditto on the shimmers. They're the only inks I never use.

grainweevil
August 23rd, 2017, 03:43 AM
I'm also a Shimmer Shunner, and have read too many unhappinesses in association with Private Reserve inks to ever be tempted there.

Sammyo
August 23rd, 2017, 03:43 AM
Risky thread, but honestly I've had so many issues with so many Noodler's inks that I openly avoid them. I've heard horror stories about PR from people I trust, so add those to the list too.

k5MOW
August 23rd, 2017, 05:37 AM
OK most people seem to agree Noodle's and private reserve. My question is. Are any of the above mentioned inks actually hurt or damage pens.
I have a couple of Noodle's inks. They seem like a dry more scratchy ink but I actually like them. I would prefer if they were wetter and smoother.

carlos.q
August 23rd, 2017, 06:00 AM
I avoid heavily saturated inks like Private Reserve and Noodler's, although I admit that Noodlers plain bulletproof black is nice... with a little dilution. I don't have any evidence that these inks hurt or damage pens, but many times I've experienced flow issues that I'd rather not deal with. I tried Baystate Blue once and never again!

I also avoid using pigmented inks. I even stopped using MB Permanent blue which is an awesome ink but after a year obscured my Pelikan 205's ink window. Luckily I was able to clean up the particle build up that dirtied the ink window. Interestingly enough, this ink's flow was always very nice, with no hard starts, even after a couple of weeks of not using the pen.

A few months ago I bought a sample of a nano particle ink (Sailor something or other) and was surprised by its mercury-like flow in the vial, so I guess I'm avoiding that one as well.

Finally I avoid shimmering or glittering inks. Anything that could potentially clog my pens is definitely out. That said.... I do like modern IG inks. Go figure.

These days I'm sticking to "safe" inks, like regular issue Pelikan, Montblanc, Quink, Sheaffer, Herbin and Diamine, although I'll also use Iroshizuku and Sailor.

Paddler
August 23rd, 2017, 06:22 AM
Had a bad experience with Pelikan Brilliant Green and so shun Pelikan inks.
I won't use iron gall ink or any other that won't rinse clean away from pen parts.
I have never tried most of the inks you folks mention.
Noodler's is OK here; I use it a lot.

naimitsu
August 23rd, 2017, 06:40 AM
Had a bad experience with Pelikan Brilliant Green and so shun Pelikan inks.

What did the Pelikan Brilliant Green do? I have a box of small carts that I haven't used yet and was thinking of loading it into my Boheme once the current one (which happens to be Pelikan 4001 Turquoise) runs out.

Stickler
August 23rd, 2017, 06:53 AM
Avoid Shimmers. So hard to clean.. not a lot of joy in the use.

Sammyo
August 23rd, 2017, 07:01 AM
My question is. Are any of the above mentioned inks actually hurt or damage pens.
I've had Noodler's inks go gummy in feeds; dry out completely in the pen; form crystals in the feed and just generally had performance issues with regard to flow and lubrication.
But they have never damaged or harmed a pen I have owned... but then again, I've never taken the Baystate Blue Challenge

penwash
August 23rd, 2017, 08:45 AM
I have tried two Noodler's inks and wasn't impressed with either of them, the colors are garish, the ink liquid character can be best described by 'oily', and boy they stain everything.

Now I just don't bother with them, let alone getting one into the vintage pens I restore.

jar
August 23rd, 2017, 08:52 AM
OK most people seem to agree Noodle's and private reserve. My question is. Are any of the above mentioned inks actually hurt or damage pens.
I have a couple of Noodle's inks. They seem like a dry more scratchy ink but I actually like them. I would prefer if they were wetter and smoother.

I don't avoid Noodler's out of fear of damaging my pens. I actually have a few bottles and will continue to use them until they are gone but they get used so seldom that may be decades from now.

What scratches Noodler's from my Buy list is the fact that the idiot overfills the bottles. I might give them another try if he only put less ink in the bottles. As is there are simply no offerings from Noodler's that would entice me to try them again.

AbE: Akkerman is another brand I am unlikely to buy again and the issue with Akkerman is the bottle itself. The neat way Akkerman tried to build a reservoir just doesn't work well. If it fills it will overflow if you stick the nib & part of the section in the bottle. It's cute and gimmiky but jess don't work.

Pterodactylus
August 23rd, 2017, 12:25 PM
I do not avoid anything but I love IG inks in general, never had an issue with one of them (I use them in all of my pens)

I also use shimmer inks as well as heavy saturated inks.

I would not buy bullet proof Noodlerˋs inks, but I have to admit that I never tried one of it.
I think I would not buy a (nano) pigmented ink also, also here just a gut feeling, not based on experience.

migo984
August 23rd, 2017, 12:29 PM
AbE: Akkerman is another brand I am unlikely to buy again and the issue with Akkerman is the bottle itself. The neat way Akkerman tried to build a reservoir just doesn't work well. If it fills it will overflow if you stick the nib & part of the section in the bottle. It's cute and gimmiky but jess don't work.

jar

Akkerman's bottle is not of their design. Akkerman is using the 1936 design of Andries Copier, a famous Dutch glassware designer, which he made for the Gimborn ink factory. The design was used by them till well after WW2. The design was also used for Jif-Waterman ink bottles.

It is called a 'Langhals' (long-neck).

Pterodactylus
August 23rd, 2017, 12:40 PM
I love the Akkerman bottles, for me they always work perfectly.

What I did not liked is the massive price increase when they moved from the big bottle to the smaller one (per ml, with the big bottle they were quite a bargain).
That is the only reason why I donˋt buy them anymore (the Diamine siblings (where available) are cheaper, and the bottle alone is imo not worth the higher price)

migo984
August 23rd, 2017, 02:05 PM
I love the Akkerman bottles, for me they always work perfectly.

What I did not liked is the massive price increase when they moved from the big bottle to the smaller one (per ml, with the big bottle they were quite a bargain).
That is the only reason why I donˋt buy them anymore (the Diamine siblings (where available) are cheaper, and the bottle alone is imo not worth the higher price)

I have the colours I wanted in the original large 150ml bottles. I agree about the price increase. I probably won't buy more.

Amanda
August 23rd, 2017, 06:01 PM
I am adventurous with inks while avoiding damage to my pens. The pigmented inks such as the carbons I value highly, but only use them in pens designed for them such as the Platinum #3776 and Desk Pen. What else is there that is lightfast and waterproof?

I still use dye-based waterproof inks such as Noodlers Lexington Grey and R&K Document Brown (in sketchbooks where lightfast doesn't matter) for watercolour and pen & wash work. Peace of mind comes with choosing pens that can be easily dismantled for cleaning. It also helps if they are resistent to drying out (ie TWSBI Eco, Platinum or Rotring ArtPens).

The only brand that I refuse to buy is from a company who released a new range that rips off the marketing and design of another established line. It suggests arrogance, a lack of creativity and a lack of respect for the creativity of others. Disappointing.

The Akkerman bottles are lovely, both the look and the history, I am looking forward to ordering some as a reward for a goal I need to reach. Not long now! I have my colours picked out and a picture on my pinboard.

KKay
August 24th, 2017, 12:46 AM
I have a few Noodler's inks, and they all do well for me. The problematic ones are only left in the pen for one week, and that is it. I flush and refill, and have no problems. The same goes for Sailor-Kiwa guro. It did clog a pen of mine when left in for 10-12 days. I was using the pen everyday. Now I can't remember exactly how long, so 10-12 days is just a guess. Now that I keep those inks in for one week only, I have NO issues at all with clogging. I have the Warden ink too, and not one bit of a problem so far. Lexington Gray has been a joy, but as I said only ONE week. 7-8 days and I clean it all out. Once I flush it, I usually follow up with a more lubricated ink just in case, of the same color. I do not dilute the Warden or bulletproof ink I have either. Maybe the key is to use a pen that has a good seal on it. I usually put the Warden ink in an older Sheaffer-Prelude F with a snap cap. So it doesn't have to have a Platinum #3776 type of seal to work well.

grainweevil
August 24th, 2017, 02:36 AM
fwiw, as a quite different approach to KKay's, checking back in my records I've had Noodler's Lexington Gray (diluted, because I prefer it that way) in a Platinum Plaisir for eight months, and now nine months without trouble. Well, except after nine months its starting to get a bit darker again so probably time for a refresh. Platinum Carbon Black's record thus far has been seven months in a Plaisir and I've had it for up to four months in a #3776, again without incident. Is the secret the well-sealing caps? It's got to help. Or is it that I use them both nearly every day, albeit very briefly? I suspect the latter may have even greater bearing, but do like the added insurance offered by the former - which is why I unhelpfully have no records for these inks in any other pens.

ETA: Lexington Gray is the only Noodler's I've tried that's actually proved to be any good; by and large I'm afraid I am not a fan.

ShugPug
August 24th, 2017, 04:52 AM
(Snip)I flush and refill, and have no problems.(Snip)

Quick question for you - when you flush, do you bin the ink or does it go back in the bottle..?

Sailor Kenshin
August 24th, 2017, 06:03 AM
I still crave an Akkerman bottle...:p

jar
August 24th, 2017, 07:05 AM

Quick question for you - when you flush, do you bin the ink or does it go back in the bottle..?

Personally, never back in the bottle.

naimitsu
August 24th, 2017, 07:51 AM

Personally, never back in the bottle.
I'm with Jar on this... except for sample vials from pens that were completely disassembled and fastidiously clean prior to inking.
There have been times when an ink has lasted only a few hours in a pen because of how awful it was.

ShugPug
August 24th, 2017, 01:19 PM
(snip)...fastidiously clean prior to inking....(snip)

Thank you - that makes sense now I think about it... I've only ever moved between blues, blacks, and blue-blacks before so never really thought about it until now. I'm going to start experimenting with more interesting / fun inks and will definitely keep this in mind! Thank you both!

dfo
August 24th, 2017, 01:24 PM
Good pen hygiene can prolong ink shelf life and hinder the growth of mold and sludge in ink bottles.

sgtstretch
August 24th, 2017, 02:03 PM
The only ink brand I really avoid Private Reserve. I've had a moldy bottle, and I have a few friends that have had moldy bottles, so I tend to avoid. I don't hate Noodler's either, I have 3 bottles that I like, but I don't go out of the way to get them. Like the new DC Show House Divided ink, I thought that was a hideous color, and behaved like crap, no way are you going to get me to buy it.

KKay
August 24th, 2017, 11:15 PM
ShugPug, I bin it. I usually do not fill the converter full anyway, since I don't plan to have it in there more than a week. I like the color of these inks full strength.

adhoc
August 25th, 2017, 12:31 AM
There's only a handful of brands I trust...namely Montblanc, Pelikan Edelstein line and Iroshizuku line, with caveat I wouldn't put Iroshizuku in sac fillers.

For cheaper pens, I'll use whatever. I also try out all kinds of inks, but only put them in my Jinhaos and such.

inklord
August 25th, 2017, 05:22 PM
Iron gall in general unless it's a dip pen.
... I love those ferrogallic fluids :)

inklord
August 25th, 2017, 05:28 PM
Monteverde, Visconti, Montegrappa. (I just don't like those companies. Montblanc is ok, since "their" inks are not made by MB anyways.)
There are a lot of brands I haven't gotten around to try though...
My favorites are makers that produce "nothing but" (inks, that is).

TSherbs
August 26th, 2017, 06:46 AM
There is no brand that I don't trust. There are plenty of specific inks that I don't like.

jownby
August 26th, 2017, 10:05 PM
What is the knock on Noodlers and Private Reserve inks? I have never had a bad experience with either, but I'm kind of a newbie; maybe I'm missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevekolt
August 26th, 2017, 11:19 PM
Love my Aakerman inks. The only ink I have personally had problems with is Diamine Ancient Copper. Love the color, but very problematic...

grainweevil
August 27th, 2017, 03:13 AM
What is the knock on Noodlers and Private Reserve inks? I have never had a bad experience with either, but I'm kind of a newbie; maybe I'm missing something.

Can't speak for others, but PR's persistent problems with mould growth instantly put them in the "nope" pile for me. Noodler's I've found often have trouble with feathering and some with failing to ever really dry. But worst of all is the lottery of what actual colour the colour you carefully selected will turn out to be.

Tiggercat
August 27th, 2017, 05:02 AM

Can't speak for others, but PR's persistent problems with mould growth instantly put them in the "nope" pile for me. Noodler's I've found often have trouble with feathering and some with failing to ever really dry. But worst of all is the lottery of what actual colour the colour you carefully selected will turn out to be.I haven't had issued with PR (though I am a bit worried after reading this thread), but I agree on Noodler's. I had a bottle of Kiowa Pecan, which is a gorgeous color, but that would still smear after five minutes of dying time.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

TSherbs
August 27th, 2017, 06:42 AM

I like both and have had no problems with either.

My only issue has been that my Noodler's ink bottled-versions don't always end up looking on paper like the sample version did. THAT is annoying.

inklord
August 27th, 2017, 02:22 PM
Love my Aakerman inks. The only ink I have personally had problems with is Diamine Ancient Copper. Love the color, but very problematic...

Never had a problem with that one... what kind of problems?

inklord
August 27th, 2017, 02:28 PM

Some PR inks apparently have problems with clogging pen feeds and some inconsistency of color. Noodler's inks are so varied: some are well behaved and wonderful inks, others are just plain unusable in ordinary writing, though they might be acceptable as novelty inks in disposable pens. On the other hand, Nathan Tardiff's take on a few subjects alone can have a discourageing effect on simple souls like myself...

Scooby921
August 27th, 2017, 08:09 PM
Private Reserve, Noodler's, Organics Studio, Anderson.
I've tried a few inks, and for the most part they all feel excessively dry to me. Very unpleasant to write with, and the ones with undesired effects make me really not want to risk finding others.

Iron gall and shimmers.
This covers it for me too. The first inks I bought were PRDCSSB and PR Avacado. I stopped using DCSSB when I realized that it never actually dries. I was flipping through a notepad a year later and wound up with blue ink on my fingers and smudged notes on the pages. It wasn't bad paper either (Rhodia and Apica). Avacado got axed a few months ago when it left boogers in the feed. I don't know if it's an age thing or not. I've not had that issue with any other ink (not that I've tried hundreds), but once is enough to stop. I've only ever tried two Noodler's inks and never had issues with them, but I'm disappointed with the apparent shelf life of the color/pigment. My formerly bright and vibrant Habanero is not nearly as vivid as it was when the bottle was new. It no longer provides the same level of happiness when I write with it. With similar complaints following other Noodler's inks it's a brand I don't think I'll bother with again. It's hard to argue against cheap, but I don't think I can love any ink enough to go through an entire bottle in a matter of months let alone a year. I've been playing with FP's and inks for a little over two years now and not a single bottle is anywhere close to empty.

As far as iron gall and shimmer inks go I'll call it fear and loathing. I'm sure iron gall inks aren't the concern they once were, but I don't run through ink in pens quickly enough nor to I jump and cleaning them once empty, so iron gall inks just don't seem like the best choice for my habits. I own one shimmer ink, J. Herbin Blue Ocean, and it wasn't a pleasant experience. It didn't play well with my Pelikan 400nn and I haven't used it since. I suppose I can just use the blue ink without shaking it and mixing in the gold powder, but I'm just not that motivated. I have other inks to use which haven't given me any issues.

stevekolt
August 27th, 2017, 09:40 PM

Particulate matter would consistently clog the feed, and nib. As I said,love the color, but not worth the hassle to me. Am I the only one that has experienced this?

migo984
August 27th, 2017, 09:53 PM

Particulate matter would consistently clog the feed, and nib. As I said,love the color, but not worth the hassle to me. Am I the only one that has experienced this?

No - I've had the same problem, in various pens. The nib crud is particularly pronounced.

mhosea
August 27th, 2017, 09:57 PM
As I think about this, I find that there is really nothing I avoid in full. There is always some exception.

I avoid J. Herbin. Tired of having them go moldy. I do have a couple of 1670 inks that I like well enough, but I won't be replacing them (or ever running out of them, most likely).

The drying time of some Noodler's inks made me gravitate away. I still have exactly one--King Phillip Requiem, which I quite like.

I don't like Pelikan inks on the whole, but I like Pelikan Turquoise.

I like Private Reserve Electric DC Blue, but otherwise I don't bother with Private Reserve inks because they perform rather like Noodler's. Sometimes some of them never dry.

I guess I "avoided" all the newest brands just because I didn't care to get sucked into buying, trying, and evaluating scores of new inks the way I had with Noodler's. Not much to show for all that.

grainweevil
August 28th, 2017, 01:40 AM

No - I've had the same problem, in various pens. The nib crud is particularly pronounced.

Likewise. I did okay with my first bottle, but the second has been a veritable plague of crud. From personal experience, two more to avoid to remain crud-free are Kelly Green and R&K Helianthus. The latter was actually my first experience of the phenomenon, and a bit of a shock. I was alert to the possibility with AC, but everyone always speaks in such glowing terms of R&K and their trouble-free habits I was taken by surprise.

Pterodactylus
August 28th, 2017, 03:03 AM

Likewise. I did okay with my first bottle, but the second has been a veritable plague of crud. From personal experience, two more to avoid to remain crud-free are Kelly Green and R&K Helianthus. The latter was actually my first experience of the phenomenon, and a bit of a shock. I was alert to the possibility with AC, but everyone always speaks in such glowing terms of R&K and their trouble-free habits I was taken by surprise.

Imo (almost) all orange, yellow inks tend to show a kind of crystallization/flocculation (I think this is what you meant with crud) when kept for quite a long time in the pen.
I think this is caused by the dyes commonly used in such colored inks but nothing to really worry about.
How fast the crystallization showing up is also dependend on how well the pen seals.

I love Helianthus :)

stub
August 28th, 2017, 04:33 AM

I have had plenty of nib crud with Ancient Copper. But never had it clog anything. Generally it looks (in my personal experience) worse than it is. My many cases I could wipe the crud off the nib and keep right on going. Further, if the cap seals good and you use it fast it often will run out before it cruds up. But it really dies cake up on the nib. I'l confess. I love the color.

--

Less and less interested as this crazy ink explosion continues. Some folks find pens are just a vehicle for the ink which is what they really get excited about, others, like me, much more into the pens. I went on the wild ink ride. I am done. Or at least scaling back.

Do not avoid: IG inks. I like them occasionally. Never had a problem with them.
Do avoid: Anything with glitter in it.

PR: Mold issues and not really easily available here anyway.

I have had one bad bottle of Herbin, but that really has been it. Just one. So I am okay with Herbin's regular line even though I hate the bottles. They are widely available here.

Keep one carbon ink for addressing envelopes. Use a Platinum preppy with it.

I am simplifying my ink world. Been giving out bottles left and right. I just want fewer bottles on my shelf.

Turns out I am boring. 90% of the time I like a medium blue, dark blue, blue-black and good old black. Always at one red for mark up. Yes I have other inks and colors and use them (MB Toffee brown gets a lot of burn here).

I like Sailor. MB, Waterman, Pilot, Diamine, Aurora, KWZ (still getting to know but he initial experiences are good)

Generally don't like Pelikan, Noodlers, Platinum, Robert Oster, Lamy, Kyoiro/Kyonooto, but even here there are exceptions. Pelikan Tanzanite is gorgous and unique, Lamy Blue black and Lamy Black are both good in my book, Kyo No Oto Nurebairo is a really nice, if dry black, and Oster Jade is probably my favorite green, again dry but the color is super.

checkrail
August 29th, 2017, 07:28 AM
I carefully avoid any ink that is not cheap. :)

Dhruv
August 29th, 2017, 08:48 AM
Noodlers - zero reliability
Diamine - not too impressed with the flow and lubrication. Hate shimmers.
Herbin - no saturation and hate sparkles.
Lamy - tend to be dry. Only exception is dark Lilac which I use.
Pelikan - dry
Visconti - didn't like it much. Not the kind of flow and lubrication I am used to.
GvFC - good inks but I bit dry for my liking
Montblanc - dry. Used corn poppy red and that refused to flow in my pens.
Private reserve - not too reliable after the main owner passed away
Robert Oster - dry. Reminds me of Sahara desert. One of the driest inks I have used.

What I use
Iroshizuku
Sailor
Lamy Dark Lilac

All my pens have F or EF (Japanese, not western) nibs so most of the inks that I find dry may not be dry for others in broader nibs.

guyy
August 30th, 2017, 06:10 AM
I avoid Noodlers and Private Reserve. Also, i stay away from most Japanese inks (i don't think alkaline inks are good for my vintage pens). I don't fully trust Diamine inks even if the only problem I've had is dry writing.

I do use vintage inks and iron gall inks. My favorite ink is vintage Quink blue black.

Woody
August 31st, 2017, 08:01 AM
Interesting. A lot of us avoid Noodlers - but they are huge sellers. I'll go for Noodlers if they have a color I really like like the Ottoman Blue. I've become a Sailor fan. Rather unfortunate because now I look at Waterman, and Sheaffer and inks seem so pale. I think the the more saturated colors have brought more people to fountain pens. Just an opinion - but I find my hobby a lot more fun with the different burst of color.

I can use any ink actually because I constantly eye drop, or have a piston fill. Easy clean up.

R.A. Stewart
August 31st, 2017, 10:15 AM
We all have our own ink preferences, what inks do you avoid using in your pens?Quink - I see the bottle and think school exams...

We didn't use fountain pens at my school, but I was that weird kid that had one, and yes, I used Quink. I don't especially avoid it though, just got onto other brands. I might try it again some time just for nostalgia.

R.A. Stewart
August 31st, 2017, 10:31 AM
I am incredibly boring. I have only tried a handful of inks and am unlikely ever to experiment much.

I used to use Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black, but finally realized that "dry ink" was a real thing and don't expect I'll go back to it. Noodler and Private Reserve I've heard enough problematic things about that I will probably leave them alone.

Right now, I'm quite happy with Waterman. Might, as I said above, try Quink again just for old times' sake. I'm open to Sailor and other brands, but I'm not prepared to go in for another bottomless pastime these days, so probably will not explore a lot.

naimitsu
August 31st, 2017, 11:56 AM
Interesting. A lot of us avoid Noodlers - but they are huge sellers.

If you spend any time in the FP subreddit, you'll begin to understand why they're huge sellers.
The low price point is very attractive to those who are young (~15-25) or just starting out. I know I fell into that category at fist, but as soon as I expanded to Iroshizuku and Diamine inks, Noodler's fell off for me. However, there are plenty of people who love their inks and their quirks.

This is a very personal hobby, so really there are no "right" answers (except for "should I push really hard on this nib?" and the right answer will always be NO! ;) )

Woody
September 9th, 2017, 01:01 PM
Sometimes it's simply the color matching of some Noodler Inks. My everyday user for the longest time was Noodler's Nightshade. Wonderful dark brown / burgundy. Loved the stuff. Then suddenly the color changed in one bottle. I got some kind of dark walnut stuff. Go figure. I did reach out to the distributor and they offered to replace a bottle - but I didn't order again. I mentioned this to a couple of the FPG faithful and I ended up learning that many of the colors changed with each order. So the QC for the colors in particular was low.
I still use a Noodlers Blue - but I find that many other brands don't have the QC problem. Sailor and Kobe are fine. DA inks are very good. No color shift from bottle to bottle.

ethernautrix
September 14th, 2017, 01:14 PM
It isn't that I try to avoid brands so much as I focus on getting--and using--specific inks, such as Noodler's Black (boosted with Noodler's/FPH Old Manhattan Black for as long as this bottle lasts, which likely will be a couple of years at least) and Pilot Blue and Pilot Blue-Black. I also like some of KWZ's colors, such as Flame Red and Aztec Gold (to name two even though I could come up with a long list, I'm sure). I wouldn't avoid Sailor inks. I still have some blue-black that I haven't used in a couple of years. I like Platinum Blue-Black, but Pilot's bumped it from rotation. And Platinum Carbon Black, but I don't like to use it in pens I can't remove the nib and scrub the feed (cos of residue).

Currently, I'm trying out a small bottle of Koh-I-Noor Document Black that I picked up on a recent road trip through Czechia, and wow! I'm impressed! Afterwards, I found a couple of reviews at fpn; it was reported that the black wasn't VERY black. I think it's certainly black ENOUGH. Also, it dries quickly on this crappy paper (I like this crappy paper) and doesn't feather. It is nearly water-proof. I'm using it in the Danitrio Fellowship with a steel Jowo #6 EF/PO nib (from fpnibs.com).

Side note: The EF/PO nib isn't in the same league as my beloved Pilot PO nib, but I like it VERY much. VERY much. Now, I want to try fpnibs.com's EEF grind.

Back on-topic: Now that I'm thinking about it, I've tried so many inks from so many brands, and I am reluctant to buy Private Reserve and J. Herbin because of mold (as others have mentioned). While I don't TRY to avoid Diamine, I tend not to give them much notice. Don't know why. I'm partial to KWZ, cos 1) local and 2) colors!

KKay
September 15th, 2017, 06:26 PM
You can add phenol to the ones that tend to get mold. (if you really like that ink otherwise)

MarkInLondon
October 9th, 2017, 07:56 AM
and Iroshizuku line, with caveat I wouldn't put Iroshizuku in sac fillers.

Why not?

mhosea
October 9th, 2017, 09:57 PM
and Iroshizuku line, with caveat I wouldn't put Iroshizuku in sac fillers.

Why not?

Some people worry that exposure to certain inks will lead to early sac failure. Some Noodler's, Private Reserve, and Pilot Iroshizuku inks have been implicated by professional repairmen. Something happened. Questions were asked. Conclusions were drawn. That sort of thing.

Interestingly enough, I think the "hoop" squeeze converter that comes Pilot Metropolitans has a latex sac. Pretty sure the CON-20 has a synthetic sac, however.

Cyril
October 16th, 2017, 02:28 PM
When I read this thread I can see everyone have one or two issus with a particuler ink.
So bacically I take it as If I get a problem, I must get it sorted out and use the ink I have.The more you read and the more feedback to confused developments. Choosing your pens and nibs is the same as ink. You end up getting more pens that dosen't do any good to your writing experience and as a rule of thumb I like to use a trial and erreur and see how it goes.

urushi4u
October 18th, 2017, 02:46 PM
Noodlers. The dangerous formulations, the messed-up branding, and most of all the goddamn hype are enough to make sure I will never frequent these stinking foul dirty waters.