PDA

View Full Version : Eagle Pencil Company

DanDeM
April 27th, 2013, 02:38 PM
We've often heard, "We have to pass this bill to find out what's in it.", well I had to buy this pen
to see what it's all about.

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2212&d=1367094420

http://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=2211&d=1367094420

Condition/Materials:
Full size (13.9cm, 5.5" takes a #22 sac), solid brass pen, with enamel paint; highly crackled.
Brass section, broad flex IGP nib marked Supreme 14k Gold Plate.
The inner cap is gone, so the poorly made, humped clip wobbles.

Design/Dating:
Lever fill cigar shape says 1940 something.
Clutch cap with friction fit section, is unlike other early clutch caps with sections that screw
into the barrel. So, not being a first adapter, the cap design suggests perhaps late 1940,
maybe even well into 1950.
But the solid brass construction seems more 1960.

(I'm running out of plausible decades here folks.)

Finally...

Clip says Eagle Pencil Co US., the same company whose place in Pendom history is marked
for its introduction of the first cartridge fountain pen in the 1890's. ( A glass vial) Never a
major pen player, although they were and are very important in the wooden pencil world,
they went on to produce hinged barrel-cap push fillers, some rather ordinary lever fills,
even an additional brand, Epenco.

If in fact this pen is from the '60's, the company would be among the longest running
producers around, enduring a Great Depression, two World Wars and that final stake-in-the-heart
to so many makers, the ball point.

Anyone care to put a date, say ±10 years, on this?

Uncle Red
April 28th, 2013, 07:56 AM
I've got a pen with a similar friction fit cap, I was estimating it as a 50's pen but yours may make me revise the age to the 40's. Is the nib really flexy?

DanDeM
April 28th, 2013, 10:23 AM
I've got a pen with a similar friction fit cap, I was estimating it as a 50's pen but yours may make me revise the age to the 40's. Is the nib really flexy?

Very. That, combined with being broad and my scrawl being cramped makes this a pen I'm not likely to ink.

Uncle Red
April 29th, 2013, 10:23 AM
A flexy broad should sell well.