PDA

View Full Version : Printing With a Fountain Pen

Peli
August 29th, 2017, 12:34 PM
Any other FP users that print instead of writing in cursive? Is this a rarity among fountain pen users? Would a flex nib make any sense at all for one who prints?

jar
August 29th, 2017, 01:55 PM
Sometimes. No. Sure.

nospam666
August 29th, 2017, 02:14 PM
Gourmet Pens has a nice video on flex writing that shows flex printing.

I write in Italian Cursive Italic (similar to the Dubay cursive book) which definitely is closer to printing than it is to USA cursive, IMO. I like using flex pens, but my favorite nib has an edge or stub.

Jon Szanto
August 29th, 2017, 02:45 PM
I've primarily printed since middle school. many many years ago. In fact, I almost forgot/lost the ability to write cursive, though I've re-trained myself just to have it. I like all manner of nibs, but while my flex pens are fun, I find the best way to add character to my writing - print or cursive - is to use an italic or stub nib (I'm left-handed, btw). It gives interest to the character shapes without quite the control issues of flex nibs.

fountainpenkid
August 29th, 2017, 03:09 PM
Most often I write in a lazy, inconsistent hybrid of cursive and print, which is visually and rhythmically improved with a flex nib, particularly with the strokes that verge on being actual cursive. Jon's advice to use an stub/italic instead of a flex nib to add character to print writing is excellent--stub/italic writing requires considerably less effort and control, both of which are needed in larger amounts with the separated nature of printing.

Peli
August 29th, 2017, 04:15 PM
I appreciate the responses and discussion on this, thank you.

I tried a Noodler's Konrad and the flex didn't do much for my chicken scratch printing. I watched a video from Nathan himself stating that you can sort of convert the flex nib into a regular fine/medium by sliding the nib down to almost meeting with the feed end and jamming a toothpick into the feed's breather hole. I did this and it's pretty good.

I do have a stub for my TWSBI Eco that I love. It makes my printing look almost "interesting!" - Eric

penwash
August 29th, 2017, 05:21 PM
I like to mix things up :D

https://scontent-dft4-1.cdninstagram.com/t51.2885-15/e35/18808874_241241716359882_2953434351288713216_n.jpg

And flex nibs are always fun to write with.

Peli
August 29th, 2017, 07:22 PM
Great replies, thank you all.

VertOlive
August 29th, 2017, 08:39 PM
In addition to stubs and italic cursive nibs, already mentioned, there are times when I enjoy the teeny printing possible with my EF nib on a wet writer like a Kaweco Brass Sport. It's sort of entertaining to see how tiny I can make the letters. Used mainly for note taking.

OP: I DO print, it is not at all rare, and I never employ a flex nib.

naimitsu
August 30th, 2017, 02:11 PM
Most of my writing is in Print. I rarely do Cursive because it takes too much effort for me, and tends to slow me down when I need to jot something quickly.

I have a few flex pens that don't see as much use, but every so often I like to fiddle around, so I don't think I'll ever get rid of them.

Though more often than not, I tend to pull either my Cursive Italics or my EF/UEF/Needlepoints for my day-to-day use.

And like VertOlive, I do sometimes try to see how small I can go with my Masuyama Needlepoint :D

inklord
August 30th, 2017, 02:37 PM
Sometimes. No. Sure.

[!!!]

Paddler
August 31st, 2017, 06:49 AM
I use cursive, mostly, but I do print in my journals for emphasis. Quoted titles are printed. Capitalized acronyms are printed in an otherwise cursive text. (Can you imagine SNAFU in cursive capitals?) I also use printing for writing a backstory or a short sidebar, although a different colored ink is a fun alternative.

I can only use a flex nib when I am in a certain mood. That mood rarely occurs and even more rarely while I am writing.

Slurry
September 1st, 2017, 08:59 AM
I use both cursive and print. Usually print when I am making simple lists or need to make really quick notes. I keep a bullet journal, and my index and to do's are always in print. For anything else beyond a quick note (which I do a lot of) I am always wanting to work on my penmanship, so I write in cursive for just about everything else.

JFB
September 29th, 2017, 10:26 AM
I learned Palmer Method in grade school and I wrote so poorly the good sisters had me use a fountain pen. In my late teens & younger adult years I switched to more printing than writing, but came back to writing...and fountain pens as I got older and a new job required more writing. Gel pens led me back to fountain pens. For longer writing sessions I tend use a manual typewriter (A Royal KMM or an Underwood Standard Champion). Over the past year I've decided to play around with different types of fountain& dip pens and focus on improving my writing (cursive). When I was younger printing wasn't refereed to as writing, it was just printing and "cursive" was writing.:D So these days I primarily use good old Palmer Method. I am going to try my hand at Spencerian soon.

I work with mostly younger people and they are all awed by my handwriting, which isn't actually anything special, but they nearly all print and do it poorly. Sadly, I don't think there is any focus on writing/printing is schools these days.

Pax,
John