PDA

View Full Version : SOLD Montblanc 142 grey striated

fountainpenkid
August 29th, 2017, 08:19 PM
I bought this pen intending to use it in a comparison-review of what I think is the mid-century German trifecta: the Pelikan 400, Soennecken 111 (and, to a lesser extent, 222), and Montblanc 14X series. I've decided comparing the Pelikan and Soennecken alone will be more useful; the Montblanc's small size makes it hard to compare to its mid-size contemporaries. This one exhibits a bit the normal celluloid discoloration--to a pleasing caramel color--in the normal places, but has little signs of wear otherwise (microscratches and one small, inoffensive gouge to the barrel). It's a rarer export model (marked "Masterpiece"), and sports a precise-but-very-smooth kugel-fine (marked KF on the piston knob). It exhibits a subtle spring but is by no means flexible (2-3X width max, and pressure is resisted by the shape of the tipping). Telescopic piston works smoothly and holds a nice amount of ink. Some transparency left as well. These are stunning, uncommon pens and in a better world, I'd keep it.
$600 $450 (about half what you'd pay from a dealer) shipped to the U.S (elsewhere at cost). If you're interested, email me at wplatt@conncoll.edu.

note: photos here (reused from a previous post out of laziness) make the discoloration look more significant than it actually is.

Thanks!

fountainpenkid
August 30th, 2017, 05:44 PM
A big price drop for a (hopefully) fast sale. I need textbooks!

fountainpenkid
August 31st, 2017, 07:41 AM
Sold pending payment.