PDA

View Full Version : Good Fountain Pens for Writing/Signing

MachoDemon
September 3rd, 2017, 11:52 AM
I am going to buy a few more pens.

Buying only metal - which could be meta/steel, sterling, gold o solid gold.

Is solid 18 k good? Or too soft?

As far as I know Montblanc Full Size should be No 1.
Maybe I will buy a 146 or 149 in sterling or solid gold (if price is good enough)

Was offered a solid white gold foutain and ball point asked price € 3,000 - but they are noblesse.
I think it they are striped noblese - they are slim, star is flat on flat cap. Ballpoint
has strange system as you lift a button on the clip and then pull down

But I mainly want the full size.

I have and like - Parker 61, Parker 75, Cross is OK but very fine nib, Sheaffer Targa is Lovely.
Like the Rotring octaton (or is it six) - Love my Parker 180 - think I listed all now.

NOW TO THE REAL Qs

Which are the best as a writing instrument (few matters taken to cost) - I mean a resin is the same as the sterling or solid
gold - as talking about nib and writing.

Thinking of buying a full size Montblanc in sterling (actually a 146 - should I choose something else)

And a Louise Carter (probably the model where the clips goes from the top - seems to be cheaper than Dandy/Pasha)
But how nice are they to write with?

Could think of a Graf Faber Castell as well

Could also think of Dunhill, but how good are they

Could also think of Caran D'Ache - but doubful of what I will get as they look the same but MSRP price range differs
CD will be in Sterling

Shall I give an offer on the pair of White Gold slim MBs - what is the used value? How old are they - think they are quite a bit?
Can I hope these will be valuable - don't see pens as an investment but solid gold I see a bit and as they are exempensiv I
don't want to lose money.

I am open for ideas in the range of € 200-300 and max € 500 - except for solid gold.

B T W I have seen David Oscarson IRL he is a Swedish decendant - but pens seems to be above the €500

oldstoat
September 3rd, 2017, 03:35 PM
Before you spend that sort of money please try the gold and sterling pens. They can be very heavy and off balance, which makes writing more than a few lines tiring. If you are definitely looking for gold or silver, consider Yard-o-Led who make sterling silver pens with reliably good nibs and a variety of designs from very simple to very elaborate. With the pund very weak against just about every other currency, they're probably a bargain.