PDA

View Full Version : Serious question about fountain pens and Superman...

Sammyo
September 4th, 2017, 03:30 AM
Serious question, hear me out...

I am having a custom pen made with the theme/connection to Superman... It's a long story based on an idea I had after spending too long in Instagram.

So I've already decided that the "Man of Steel" would use a Steel nib... But what type? I can't make a decision!

I am comfortable using all nibs from UEF to 3B to stubs to italics to flex... But what should I put on a Superman pen?

All suggestions gratefully received, even better with sound reasoning and a solid connection.

Thanks all for your time for my idiotic question.

p.s. I'm a Marvel guy!... Go figure!

Stickler
September 4th, 2017, 06:01 AM
Write Superman over and over in different nib sizes and see which one you like the look of better

Sammyo
September 4th, 2017, 06:07 AM
Write Superman over and over in different nib sizes and see which one you like the look of betterThanks Stickler, but that will ALWAYS be the flex nib [emoji81][emoji111][emoji106]

The question for me is "What would Superman/Clark Kent use in his pen?

Sent from my SCV31 using Tapatalk

catbert
September 4th, 2017, 07:07 AM
If you can make a pen with interchangeable nibs, how about:

1) a fine stiff nib for a reporter, something that supports fast writing, but not so fine that it catches on a steno pad. So not a steno nib. EF, F, MF?

2) something bolder for a superhero - a stub. That way you get an 'S' designation engraved on the nib.

And of course a swappable nondescript cap or binde so that the Lois pen remains blissfully unaware of Superpen's alter ego.

Sammyo
September 4th, 2017, 07:35 AM
If you can make a pen with interchangeable nibs, how about:

1) a fine stiff nib for a reporter, something that supports fast writing, but not so fine that it catches on a steno pad. So not a steno nib. EF, F, MF?

2) something bolder for a superhero - a stub. That way you get an 'S' designation engraved on the nib.

And of course a swappable nondescript cap or binde so that the Lois pen remains blissfully unaware of Superpen's alter ego.Great explanation, I love it, thanks for taking the time [emoji75][emoji106]

Sent from my SCV31 using Tapatalk

penwash
September 4th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Superman's nib would be a Stub obviously.

Why else would he had an 'S' on his uniform?

But since you're a Marvel guy, why not make an Ironman pen instead?

Paddler
September 4th, 2017, 02:11 PM
I see the reasoning behind the stub nib. But Clark Kent would not find one of those to be very handy for taking notes on a steno pad. You need to grind the stub nib so when it is turned over it writes a fine line. I think there is a nibmeister who will grind an "italifine" nib that would be appropriate.

Pterodactylus
September 4th, 2017, 03:06 PM
There can only be one answer to this question, of course:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4335/36859140202_84715d1d41_o.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/Ya7Jeh)Show_response_1121 (https://flic.kr/p/Ya7Jeh) by Ptero Pterodactylus (https://www.flickr.com/photos/117783735@N07/), auf Flickr

(Serwex MB flex EMF ..... ESS Registrars Blue/Black)

Even better if the Superflex nib is made from steel. :)

Sammyo
September 4th, 2017, 09:24 PM
Superman's nib would be a Stub obviously.
Why else would he had an 'S' on his uniform?
I see this becoming an easier decision!

But since you're a Marvel guy, why not make an Ironman pen instead?
Long story, but I had an idea tat I am keeping close to my chest for now. Working with a well regarded pen maker to make it real, but in a long queue, so plenty of time to fine tune and make changes.
I have seen many Karas Kustoms "Ironman" pens and really like them... I'm now trying to think of a Marvel pen version too... but it has to be subtle and somewhat obscure... because that is the kind of thing I like, the whole "if you see it" thing.
Thanks for the feedback and suggestions :D

Sammyo
September 4th, 2017, 09:25 PM
You need to grind the stub nib so when it is turned over it writes a fine line. I think there is a nibmeister who will grind an "italifine" nib that would be appropriate.
I like the idea of a double nib, like the man himself has two identities!!! oooooooo!!!! now you made it harder!!!!

Sammyo
September 4th, 2017, 09:43 PM
There can only be one answer to this question, of course:
(Serwex MB flex EMF ..... ESS Registrars Blue/Black)
Even better if the Superflex nib is made from steel. :)
I do like the idea of a flex nib... but it needs to be the right one.
Thanks for the work and superb writing, it always helps to make a point better ;)

Stickler
September 5th, 2017, 12:52 PM
I would say that a man who can lift a locomotive would not use a flex.. springing tines in the 1940s is too easy

alexander_k
September 5th, 2017, 01:57 PM
Best poll ever! And surprisingly most think italic (myself included), even though broad would probably be more appropriate.

grainweevil
September 5th, 2017, 03:25 PM
Given the whole alter ego mild-mannered etc general duplicitousness, I would suggest an oblique. But then I never trust a man who wears his underpants in any visible manner.

Jerome Tarshis
September 6th, 2017, 01:31 AM
Best poll ever! And surprisingly most think italic (myself included), even though broad would probably be more appropriate.

I am not so diligent a reader of polling threads that I consider myself able to say this is the best ever. But it is, by a considerable margin, my favorite so far. Not so much because of the question as because of the nuanced replies it has drawn. This is a pen message board at its most entertaining.

Sammyo
September 6th, 2017, 03:30 AM
This has been wonderful to read all your comments and great insights.

I agree this thread has been fun because of the quality of responses.

So far it's tied between flex and stub... This is fun for me, I can't wait to see where this goes!

catbert
September 7th, 2017, 07:25 AM
Looks like the consensus is heading towards a flexy stub.

Not a problem for Clark if you assume he knows shorthand. :)