PDA

View Full Version : Waterman's 100 Year Pen

Sagebrush64
September 9th, 2017, 03:22 PM
Thought I'd share this little gem I recently aquired. A Ladies transparent red 100 Year Pen. This is a very clean example and the nib writes like a dream. My poor picture does not do it justice!

Seattleite
November 30th, 2017, 02:48 PM
Great and hard to find pen!

These really are a delicate and short lived early member of the "Club 100". Note that triple cap band. Such detail. That transparent Red Lucite must have been pretty "keen" in its day.

How about a Blue ribbed Lady, dwarfed by a slightly later Oversized example?
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36252&d=1512076680

Bob

jar
November 30th, 2017, 03:05 PM
Here's a nice Ladies set.

http://www.fototime.com/34A52EA1BD18493/medium800.jpg

pajaro
November 30th, 2017, 08:23 PM
The pics are enough too get one interested in hunting for one.

penwash
November 30th, 2017, 09:42 PM
A very nice writer indeed:

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4482/37733334332_dba939e067_c.jpg

Sold this a few weeks ago, it only lasted a couple hours on sale on my website.

Seattleite
December 2nd, 2017, 01:05 AM
The pics are enough too get one interested in hunting for one.

One?

Bargains can still be had. 1940s Watermans often have great nibs. As of yet they don't seem to have generated the mass Hysteria that surrounds the 52.

Watch out for disintegrating barrel ends on Hundred Years. These earlier Lucite pens don't have that issue

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36296&d=1512201258

Bob

Sagebrush64
December 2nd, 2017, 02:15 AM
Fantastic photos guys....Thanks for sharing!

amk
December 2nd, 2017, 10:19 AM
Wonderful photos. As well as the stunning transparency and bright colour, these pens offer another attraction if the two (very user grade) pens that I have are anything to go by; big fat juicy nibs. This pen is a real icon, not as well known as the Parker 51 and perhaps, okay, not as technologically challenging, but for me one of the all time greats, so I'm really glad to see such love for it here on FPG.

I didn't know the first ones were lucite. Why on earth did Waterman change to celluloid - cost?

jar
December 2nd, 2017, 11:05 AM
Wonderful photos. As well as the stunning transparency and bright colour, these pens offer another attraction if the two (very user grade) pens that I have are anything to go by; big fat juicy nibs. This pen is a real icon, not as well known as the Parker 51 and perhaps, okay, not as technologically challenging, but for me one of the all time greats, so I'm really glad to see such love for it here on FPG.

I didn't know the first ones were lucite. Why on earth did Waterman change to celluloid - cost?

Lucite was a war material. Same reason Parker dropped aluminum for jewels and plungers.

Hawk
December 2nd, 2017, 11:21 AM
Here is one of my 100 year pens.

Hawk
December 2nd, 2017, 11:27 AM
Here is my other one.

Marsilius
December 2nd, 2017, 06:43 PM
Mine are pretty humble specimens, but both have very nice nibs.
I have a 100 Year Pen, and almost the same thing that could no longer be called that: my Emblem Pen.

Seattleite
December 5th, 2017, 02:14 PM
I am really enjoying all of the photos.

The first year pens have an almost cult-like following.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36345&d=1512507873

Bob

Marsilius
December 5th, 2017, 04:46 PM
I am really enjoying all of the photos.

https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36345&d=1512507873

Bob

Were this not wonderful, it would verge on creepy.

amk
December 6th, 2017, 01:17 AM
I think that is the best pen picture I've seen all year. It looks good enough to eat... :-)

Brought a smile to my face, anyway.

FredRydr
December 6th, 2017, 06:29 AM
I think that is the best pen picture I've seen all year. It looks good enough to eat...
Luckily, it looks like a pristine example with no teeth marks!

FredRydr
December 6th, 2017, 06:32 AM
Bob, did you put a sac in it? It looks as though light passes through the barrel. Lovely pen.

Seattleite
December 6th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Bob, did you put a sac in it? It looks as though light passes through the barrel. Lovely pen.

No sac, just the pressure bar and a sunny morning. One feature that enhances the play of light in these pens is that there is no inner cap, just a machined step. This lets you see the nib when the pen is capped. As cool as this is, within a few years, the Hundred Year had a metal slip cap, just like that pen.

Bob

Marsilius
December 6th, 2017, 09:44 AM
Perhaps I should explain my comment about your wonderful photo (the best of all times, maybe . . . your photo, not my comment). I saw the gummy bears and imagined them getting ready to eat the pen. The first thing that entered my mind was Edward Gorey's poem "The Insect God":
"And then it was that Millicent Frastley
Was sacrificed to The Insect God."
Probably says something about me, yikes.
What a gorgeous pen and playful photo.

Seattleite
December 6th, 2017, 08:33 PM
Thank you for the compliment.

So.... Are they praying or.... preying?

BTW, I really like your sketches. A lot can be communicated with a few well placed lines!

Back to work Bob!

Marsilius
December 6th, 2017, 10:20 PM
Thank you for the compliment.

So.... Are they praying or.... preying?

BTW, I really like your sketches. A lot can be communicated with a few well placed lines!

Back to work Bob!

Thank you. The bugs are Edward Gorey drawings, and I first read that poem when I was 8 years old. Yikes. Back to topic. This really is a gorgeous and well designed photo. Back to work, me.

Pen Tom
January 20th, 2018, 02:03 PM
I was concentrating on Watermans that are pre 1930 for the past few years. But I started looking on later Waterman pens, the hundred year pen drew my attention.
I have a red pen and pencil set just like the ones that Jar wrote about in an earlier post. They are from the second year of production. I also have a black 2nd tear pen

Pen Tom
January 20th, 2018, 02:04 PM
The picture with the red gummy bears is a great photo