PDA

View Full Version : M800 woes...

Sammyo
September 16th, 2017, 06:03 PM
So after all the positive, gushing reviews of the M800 I decided that I NEEDED one.

I went to a highly reputable store and bought a beautiful Stresemann. At first I loved it, inked it with Montblanc Albert Einstein. The nib was wonderful and a joy to write with.

I took it to a week long workshop and planned to get to know it while taking lots and lots of notes... After a while I noticed I gripped it on the threads... And that the threads were uncomfortable and sharp. Then I noticed that the cap kept working itself loose... Never came off, but did come loose. Then I noticed that if it was in my Sailor 10 pen case unused, the cap would work itself about a half turn loose just in the case! The cap does not feel thick enough or solid enough to tighten it any more than I do, so this seems like it will have to stay that way. If I'm honest, I feel like my M200 had the same cap issue too.

I still really like the pen, it's not enough to want to get rid of it... yet... and the nib is wonderful... but I feel like I'm the only one ever to have an experience other than a stunningly positive one with the M800!

I was wondering, has anyone else had these issues? Does anyone else feel the same as me? Am I alone in this?

mulrich
September 16th, 2017, 10:42 PM
I've never had any issues with writing but I have had caps on M800s come loose. I'm much more careful about caps now but that came from some painful experiences and ruined shirts.

dfo
September 17th, 2017, 12:22 AM
My m805 cap is a bit loose compared to my Pilot 912. However, I think this is a result of the design: short threads that do not require too many rotations of the cap. I have to tighten the Pelikan a bit more than other pens

mhosea
September 17th, 2017, 12:41 AM
I don't recall the cap issue, at least not specifically. I know I've experienced the slightly-loosening-cap phenomenon, but I have no specific recollection of a Pelikan pen being involved.

At any rate, I decided to part with my M800's because, while I liked the grip diameter, I was also straying onto the threads a lot with my 4-point grip, and the transition from grip to threads did not feel good to me. It felt like I wasn't holding it right, which I suppose I wasn't. I don't think I've ever had any more reliable or better performing pens, however.

Sammyo
September 17th, 2017, 04:02 AM
Thank you all, I no longer feel like a leper. I can take comfort knowing that I am not the only one.

I'll try screwing the cap on a bit tighter, but as an engineer I hate over torqued threads. To me it shows a lack of attention to design, which I don't expect from Pelikan. Just a slight taper in the cap matched to the section would make a world of difference.

jar
September 17th, 2017, 04:38 AM
As long as I can remember Pelikan caps have had a tendency to unscrew spontaneously.

stub
September 17th, 2017, 06:35 AM
I have on several occasions pulled my M805 out of my shirt pocket only to find the cap in my hand and the pen still in the pocket.

I love my M805 anyway and I find it kind of bulky in my shirt so it is one pen that doesn't ride the dress shirt anymore. It works its way loose in a case sometimes too but not in the sleeve so it permanently lives in a pen sleeve in my bag or just on my desk.

dfo
September 17th, 2017, 10:19 PM
The thread issue is not the result of bad manufacturing, but short thread design was intended to shorten the time uncapping and capping.

Sammyo
September 18th, 2017, 09:24 PM
The thread issue is not the result of bad manufacturing, but short thread design was intended to shorten the time uncapping and capping.

Hi dfo, I never said bad manufacturing, I said bad design. I understand your point about the fast uncapping feature of the thread design... and it is definitely appreciated :).

However, so many other companies have a design to hold the cap in place. It can be done on the design of the thread by increasing the ETT or reducing the ESW at the end of the threads; or as stated before adding a compression chamfer inside the cap to mate with the section at a specific point (either in front of, or behind the threads).

I find it annoying as a mechanical engineer when these things are overlooked; to me this is one of the base requirements of the cap function... do not come loose.

I understand why some people either never notice or just don't care... but this is what I do! It is what I notice about everything I buy... it is also annoying to me! ;)

pajaro
September 18th, 2017, 10:23 PM
So, you find such faults in everything you buy? It's what you do?

I have had a couple of these pens. I think this is an issue for you and a few others. I didn't find this to be an issue for me, certainly not a design problem. This matter of the threads is no doubt a feature which bothers you. Probably it's the weight causing you to grip the pen farther back. This is more a matter of the pen being or not being suitable for you. I didn't so much like the weight of this or the M1000. That's not a design problem, though, it's a feature. Not suitable for me.

dfo
September 19th, 2017, 12:41 AM
I noticed when I first bought my m805. It is not as smooth as the threads on my Pilot 912; however, I do not notice the slop on the Pelikan anymore.

Hi dfo, I never said bad manufacturing, I said bad design. I understand your point about the fast uncapping feature of the thread design... and it is definitely appreciated :).

However, so many other companies have a design to hold the cap in place. It can be done on the design of the thread by increasing the ETT or reducing the ESW at the end of the threads; or as stated before adding a compression chamfer inside the cap to mate with the section at a specific point (either in front of, or behind the threads).

I find it annoying as a mechanical engineer when these things are overlooked; to me this is one of the base requirements of the cap function... do not come loose.

I understand why some people either never notice or just don't care... but this is what I do! It is what I notice about everything I buy... it is also annoying to me! ;)

adhoc
September 19th, 2017, 12:56 AM

M80x is the best fountain pen to me...there are many design reasons for that. But threads are not one of them and I completely agree with you.

But I'm a mechanical engineer as well, so maybe there's a professional deformation at play.

Sammyo
September 19th, 2017, 04:07 AM
So, you find such faults in everything you buy? It's what you do?

I have had a couple of these pens. I think this is an issue for you and a few others. I didn't find this to be an issue for me, certainly not a design problem. This matter of the threads is no doubt a feature which bothers you. Probably it's the weight causing you to grip the pen farther back. This is more a matter of the pen being or not being suitable for you. I didn't so much like the weight of this or the M1000. That's not a design problem, though, it's a feature. Not suitable for me.

I was talking with regard to the cap coming loose.

I accept hand position on the pen is a personal thing and as much as said that in the OP. I don't hate the pen, I just find the cap working itself loose annoying as it could easily be fixed with simple design feature.

Hawk
September 19th, 2017, 10:36 PM
As a retired Mechanical/Civil Engineer, I don't seem to have the concerns of some others. Each pen and design has it’s own personality. I own one 1000, one 805, two 800’s, one 600, one 205 plus a few older ones. I tighten screw on caps until they feel snug to me (not overtorquing). Besides, the cap band reinforces the cap to keep from cracking. Posting, now that is mentioned, it can become loose. I unconsciously push the cap on the barrel a little more compared to other pens. It’s not as bad as some pens can’t be posted; that bothers me. The threads being close to the section or a short section doesn’t bother me.

now
September 20th, 2017, 06:25 AM
Sam O,

I have a bit of a M800 'problem' (problem being that I own too many of them). I have one pen that has this problem, but none of the others. I do not know that I am adding anything significant here, other than to say that this is likely just a variation in manufacturing.

Sammyo
October 10th, 2017, 09:57 PM
Hi all, I just want come back and follow up on this topic.

First, thank you all for your comments. I appreciate your willingness to add information and personal experiences. I'm sure that my favourite pen is another persons nemesis :tea:
I do understand that everyone has their own set of loves and loathes; pros and cons; merits and demerits. I am happy that this did not devolve into a hate slinging, waste of time.
So for that, I would like to thank everyone.

I have started adding an extra pinch at the end of the cap tightening "routine"... this seems to be working for keeping the cap in place. But, it has a squeaky, click sound that makes me feel queezy when I do it!

As for the thread position, the nib is long and I old it where it is meant to be held but the threads are so sharp I always feel them. This is just part of me and the pen and I have to accept that.
I have been tempted more than once to micromesh and knock the tops off the threads, but worry how it will affect the cap fitment... ho hum... maybe I will grow to just accept it... it's not like I don't have plenty of other pen options available to me sitting in draws ;)