PDA

View Full Version : SOLD FS: Waterman Lady Patricia (flex) | WASP "Clipper" Lahn | Sheaffer Touchdown

popcod
September 17th, 2017, 06:38 PM
5 restored vintage pens to offer this weekend, 3 with flexible nibs:

https://i.imgur.com/gTZuWVT.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/tsJAIpR.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/uas3aFt.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/ZGYzimx.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/p253PKq.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/8tnazxn.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/6CBhbtF.jpg

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Condition (n.b.): All the pens listed below have been restored in the last couple months. They’ve been cleaned, outfitted with new sacs, and their nibs adjusted when needed. Each is guaranteed to fill and write as designed without leaks or other issues. These pens have no chips, cracks, personal engravings, bent nibs, misaligned tines, missing or mismatched parts, or threading problems.

Shipping: To CONUS locations buyer may opt for either USPS First-Class with tracking for $4 or USPS Priority for $7. Please contact me for shipping quote if located overseas (delivery confirmation required).

Order, Payment, & Guarantee: Pens are placed on hold for the first person to PM me with firm request to purchase, to which I’ll reply with payment details. If I haven't received Paypal payment within 24 hrs, then they become available to the next person. All pens are guaranteed to be in the condition in which I've described them. If I've missed something or the filling mechanism is not fully functional, the buyer may contact me up to 7 days after receiving the pen for a full refund (issued once I receive the pen back in the same condition as sold). I've sold pens online for about a decade. Please check my past listings here as well as on the classifieds and historical sales forums on FPN (username: Estragon) for some of my previous offerings.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

1. 1930s Waterman Lady Patricia Ink-Vue (“Sunset” red, ink-vue filler, NPT, Super Flexible EF 14k nib). Measures a hair over 4 1/4" capped and 5 1/2" posted. 14k Ideal #2 nib lays down a smooth and consistent XF line that flexes to a BB+ under light pressure (see writing sample). Like Parker Vacumatics, Waterman's Ink-Vues use a latex sac not to hold the ink, but to create a vacuum suction to suck it directly into the barrel, the transparency of which makes the ink level fully visible. Just unlock the innovative "Double Action" lever, depress it upward against the barrel 4-5 times until the pen is full. In my opinion, these pens are in a class of their own from a design standpoint. Not only is the filling system a lot of fun to use, the fine details of these pens epitomize 30s Art Deco style. The elegant diamond pattern is repeated on the clip, the cap band, the translucent section of the barrel, and the lever. Condition: deep, fully legible imprint and some of the best barrel transparency I’ve seen on a red Patricia (see photo). The Ink-Vue filler on this pen has been fully overhauled with a new sac and seal. Some scratches to the plastic here and there, as one would expect from an 80 y/o pen. But none are very deep or unsightly. Trim shows typical high-point wear thrughout. Price: $140 SOLD

2. 1930s WASP “Clipper” (grey Lahn, lever filler, NPT, Firm EF/EEF 14k nib). Manufactured by Sheaffer in the 1930s, WASP (W.A. Sheaffer) pens exhibit much of the high quality of Sheaffer’s mainline models, but with stunning celluloid patterns and colors that never appeared on their other pens. This latticework design, featuring webbed grey celluloid wefted in layers over a golden warp, has a striking depth and chatoyance in person. The glinting colors and underlying patterns one discovers when rotating the pen under light are truly a sight to behold! This pen measures 5 1/8” capped. Its deep, fully legible imprint on the side of the barrel reads “The Clipper / WASP Pen Co. Inc. / Fort Madison. Iowa. U.S.A. . .” One expects to find a 14k/12k WASP #3 nib on these, but this one appears to have been replaced with a brand-, price- and era-appropriate 14k Sheaffer’s #33 nib. It’s a firm nib, which lays down smooth and consistent EF to EEF line – perfect for small, detailed script/drawing. Condition: As with most nickel trim of the period, these are hard to find clean, being particularly prone to brassing and corrosion. The trim on this WASP is better than 90% of its counterparts, with no brassing but for the sides of the clip ball and a small (2mm) spot on each side of the cap band. Color of the celluloid is even and bright, and the surface has no scratches (just minor microscratching). No other notable flaws. A beautiful, collector-grade example of this model.

Price: $130 WITHDRAWN FOR NOW – NIB TO BE REPLACED WITH A PROPER WASP #3

3. 1930s Sheaffer WASP Vacuum-Fil (green/red marble celluloid, lever filler, Flexible EF/EEF 14k/12k nib). Another fine WASP of the period, this one with a ‘Vacuum-Fil’ imprint (a lever filler labeled as such to cash in on the vacuum-filler craze ushered in by Parker’s Vacumatic). Measures 5" capped. Proper 14k (possibly 12k). Proper WASP #2 nib lays down smooth and consistent EF/EEF line and flexes to a BB+ under light/moderate pressure (see writing sample – note that after writing with this pen for a while after making the sample, I’ve found it to be more of a flex as opposed to super-flex nib). Superb snap-back and hairlines all the same. An uncommon pen in an unusual celluloid pattern. Condition: excellent, with a high-luster finish and deep, fully legible imprint. No brassing to the trim, but there is a ding to the center of the lever and some pin-sized spots of corrosion to the cap band (very minor, photo on request). Price: $120 SOLD

4. 1940s Eversharp Skyline Demi (black, 14k GF cap, lever-filler, Super-Flexible EF 14k Eversharp nib). The Skyline was designed by Henry Dreyfuss and exhibits an elegant integration of function and streamlined style influenced by industrial design and the Art Deco movement. Little wonder it would become by 1945 the best selling pen in America. This pen measures 4 15/16" capped. Features 14k, super-flexible Eversharp Skyline nib that is perhaps the sweetest in the lot. Lays down a smooth and consistent EF line and flexes to BBB+ under light pressure. Excellent control and snap-back resembling 1920s Waterman nibs. I’d recommend writing at a measured pace with this one. I haven’t encountered the issue. But someone at the local pen club took it for a spin and mentioned it railroaded a bit if she wrote too quickly. Excellent to near mint condition with no brassing to the trim and no dents or dings to the cap – just very light signs of use. Price: $140 SOLD

5. 1950s Sheaffer Touchdown Sentinel Hybrid (burgundy, touchdown filler, Firm EF 14k nib). Measures 5 1/4” capped. Visulated section. EF two-tone Triumph nib in the upturned “Waverly” style lays down a smooth and consistent EF line. This one technically a Frankenpen. Based on the informed opinion of a seasoned Sheaffer collector, it has the barrel of a full-sized Touchdown and the cap of a Tuckaway. The barrels and caps of these pens were interchangeable, so the cap on this one screws down and holds as it should. Though, strictly speaking, incorrect, this pen combines the more interesting cap and small spring-clip design of the Tuckaway with the longer, more comfortable barrel of a full-sized Touchdown. I’ve included a photo of this pen (center) next to a full-sized Snorkel (left) and a proper Tuckaway (right) for comparison. Condition: New sac and seal replaced in the last couple months. Deep, fully legible imprint. No appreciable flaws but for one cap-ding on the squiggly line to the bottom-right of the clip (hard to see unless you’re looking for it). Price: $45 SOLD