PDA

View Full Version : Platinum #3776 Lantern/Sunset/Moon & Sun....

Sammyo
September 24th, 2017, 09:55 PM
Hello all,

This came up recently on an Instagram post and got me thinking... now I want to get to the root of it and hope someone here can help more.

There is a Platinum #3776 Century model that appears to have different names on different sites, with different information.
I have my opinion, but I hope others can help me with this.

The first time I saw this pen it was called the #3776 Century Lantern.
It was an LE for the Engeika site.
http://www.engeika.com/product/3981

Recently I saw the same pen referred to as the #3776 Century Sunset on Instagram.

It was attributed to the Rakuten website where it was actually called... well a million different names, but essentially it was the Moon and sun.
https://global.rakuten.com/en/store/hunnyhunt/item/platinum_gengetsu/
It is available on Rakuten through Wancher... which I found interesting... and is limited to only 200 pieces.

Finally if you look at the Rakuten Japanese site for the same pen, it gets even more interesting...
It claims it to be a Wancher original / Platinum pen called half moon / blessing of the sun and moon.
https://item.rakuten.co.jp/hunnyhunt/platinum_gengetsu/

All opinions welcome.
Are they the same pen?
Are they different pens?
What is going on here?

Thanks,
Samo

Jon Szanto
September 24th, 2017, 10:56 PM
Opinions?

You have too much time on your hands. Same pen, different vendors, multiple marketing/naming schemes.

Sammyo
September 24th, 2017, 11:20 PM
Opinions?

You have too much time on your hands. Same pen, different vendors, multiple marketing/naming schemes.

:stop::shocked:No time when talking pens is wasted ;):bounce::ph34r:
I have a habit of disliking being sold something under false pretenses, it makes me... ... Twitchy!

I don't mind being told the truth, even if it's not what I want to hear... But being lied to... This is big, bad, no... Not like smouldering fire... Like raging fire!

Jon Szanto
September 25th, 2017, 12:22 AM
I don't get it, Sam. They are pretty clearly the same pen. What is the issue, the fact that they are calling them different names? Why bring up "being lied to"?

SIR
September 25th, 2017, 12:39 AM
Firstly, I agree with Jon - if you want it, then buy it; Engeika isn't known for false marketing or fake goods, and Wancher regularly carries excellent Sailor limited editions.

On the main point though, I am surprised at the variety of names - they don't seem to be all that similar in meaning, so probably not a case of different translations, but have you checked what the different vendors refer to them in Japanese?

Sammyo
September 25th, 2017, 12:40 AM
Why bring up "being lied to"?
I thought the silly faces and the fact I was quoting the incredible Hulk was enough to add my sense of whimsy.

I just wondered are they the same pen, and interested in why Wancher would give it different names on different sites.
I have also learned to be wary of Wancher for a number of reasons and wondered how others felt about it too.

At the end of the day, idle curiosity and enjoying the research.

It's like wanting to find out all the materials that the Sheaffer PFM was available in, only to find the same pen, in the same material, but with a different name for a different market?

Jon Szanto
September 25th, 2017, 12:41 AM
On the main point though, I am surprised at the variety of names - they don't seem to be all that similar in meaning, so probably not a case of different translations, but have you checked what the different vendors refer to them in Japanese?

Indeed. I also noted that the background graphics in the ads for the pens are the same in the 1st and 3rd link, and differ in content (and character) in the 2nd. That said, they all seem like the same pen.

Sammyo
September 25th, 2017, 12:43 AM

Yup, I even asked my Japanese wife for support to try and find a satisfactory answer... Which only added to the confusion.

On Engeika, they both carry the name Lantern... But on Rakuten... Well let's just say it gets confusing...

SIR
September 25th, 2017, 01:00 AM
I have also learned to be wary of Wancher for a number of reasons and wondered how others felt about it too.

I'd like to know more about this... I've always reserved judgement as have never actually bought any of their products but I understand Wancher and Engeika are quite close, if not related, business partners, and there is something about Wacher's business model that seems... superficial.

And... what is the correct pronunciation of the name - is it Wancher as in "want ya", or is the 'ch' pronounced as a 'k' so as to make the name sound the same as... well, you know!

Sammyo
September 25th, 2017, 01:39 AM
I'd like to know more about this... I've always reserved judgement as have never actually bought any of their products but I understand Wancher and Engeika are quite close, if not related, business partners, and there is something about Wacher's business model that seems... superficial.
It's hard to put into words... and those words might get me into trouble... again...

And... what is the correct pronunciation of the name - is it Wancher as in "want ya", or is the 'ch' pronounced as a 'k' so as to make the name sound the same as... well, you know!
In the original Japanese it is "ワンチャー" or to sound out each character "WA, N, CHI-YAA".
So, it would be pronounced "Wan..." as in the work you didn't write; and "...cher" as in the cha cha cha dance but with a slightly extended "a" sound "wan chaa".
I hope this helps :)

SIR
September 25th, 2017, 03:04 AM
It's hard to put into words... and those words might get me into trouble... again...

So no real issues - just a feeling?

In the original Japanese it is "ワンチャー" or to sound out each character "WA, N, CHI-YAA".
So, it would be pronounced "Wan..." as in the work you didn't write; and "...cher" as in the cha cha cha dance but with a slightly extended "a" sound "wan chaa".
I hope this helps :)

"One Cheer"?

Ahriman4891
September 25th, 2017, 08:54 AM
Ugh, Sammyo -- why did you have to show me this?

I really like the color scheme, but cannot really justify the $200+ price tag when I know I can get a Bourgogne 3776 for ~$85. I am going to visit Japan this winter, and will no doubt be going inside every stationery shop I see, but I doubt I'll come upon this pen, since it's a store exclusive (I could at least justify it as a memento of my trip if I bought it in person). First world problems.

Jon Szanto
September 25th, 2017, 12:26 PM

Then, IMHO, you shouldn't have said anything at all. There is nothing worse than a vague acusation, and you haven't presented any information at all that would lead one to believe something unethical, etc, is going on... yet you keep saying these things that don't say anything. That is easily as bad as saying something that is untrue.

I don't mind helping, I never do, but unless you can succintly put into words what you think presents an issue here, with very concrete statements, I'm just going to walk. It's silly.

SIR
September 25th, 2017, 04:31 PM

Then, IMHO, you shouldn't have said anything at all. There is nothing worse than a vague acusation, and you haven't presented any information at all that would lead one to believe something unethical, etc, is going on... yet you keep saying these things that don't say anything. That is easily as bad as saying something that is untrue.

I don't mind helping, I never do, but unless you can succintly put into words what you think presents an issue here, with very concrete statements, I'm just going to walk. It's silly.

What he said was enough for me - I understand; and really it isn't that there is necessarily anything sinister about Wancher products, just sometimes their corporate message is uncertain and this leads, perhaps unjustly, to uncertainty regarding their reliability as a company.

Jon Szanto
September 25th, 2017, 06:36 PM
What he said was enough for me - I understand; and really it isn't that there is necessarily anything sinister about Wancher products, just sometimes their corporate message is uncertain and this leads, perhaps unjustly, to uncertainty regarding their reliability as a company.

That's fine, and I appreciate your amplification, but it still does nothing to help anyone who does not know the company or it's products or marketing strategies. Vague, opaque phrases that really don't say anything are fairly useless if one isn't already partially clued into a situation. Maybe Sammyo only wanted opinions and eyeballs from people who already know about these matters, but it didn't seem so.

SIR
September 26th, 2017, 12:55 PM
Vague, opaque phrases that really don't say anything are fairly useless if one isn't already partially clued into a situation. Maybe Sammyo only wanted opinions and eyeballs from people who already know about these matters, but it didn't seem so.

Maybe, maybe; but sometimes one just has an unsure feeling and is the better person for expressing it simply as that - rather than making unfounded assumptions, right?

I appreciate your amplification, too ;).

Jon Szanto
September 26th, 2017, 01:31 PM
Vague, opaque phrases that really don't say anything are fairly useless if one isn't already partially clued into a situation. Maybe Sammyo only wanted opinions and eyeballs from people who already know about these matters, but it didn't seem so.

Maybe, maybe; but sometimes one just has an unsure feeling and is the better person for expressing it simply as that - rather than making unfounded assumptions, right?

I suppose I can get on board with that. I'm going to bow out because I don't sense any clarity in the future and can't offer anything more. Odd thing: I just helped a guy on reddit who had one of these exact pens (but from which shop I don't know) figure out a little detail on the barrel end cap. Weird coincidence.

KKay
September 26th, 2017, 05:52 PM
Sammyo it is a lovely pen. I know nothing about the Wancher pens.

Sammyo
September 26th, 2017, 09:24 PM

I suppose I can get on board with that. I'm going to bow out because I don't sense any clarity in the future and can't offer anything more. Odd thing: I just helped a guy on reddit who had one of these exact pens (but from which shop I don't know) figure out a little detail on the barrel end cap. Weird coincidence.

Sorry no response yesterday, it was a full family day out with no chance to respond.

You both managed to cover it all without me though!
No doubt that they are selling Platinum, Sailor, etc... pens made by those companies and you will get all the quality that comes with that.
However, to me mixed messages and conflicting information from a single company lead me to feel... well... wary.
Why? what is the gain? why create confusion in the market? etc...

It was pointed out that they both carry the same Platinum colour code (#65) as part of their model number, so this shows that they are indeed the same pen in the eyes of Platinum.

Sammyo
September 26th, 2017, 09:43 PM
Ugh, Sammyo -- why did you have to show me this?
Sorry :redface:

comixfan
September 27th, 2017, 09:19 PM
Not sure about the bizarre marketing inconsistencies, but I can vouch for the pen-- it's gorgeous and writes like any 3776. Bought mine from Engeika when it first came out, and I love it.

Amanda
September 30th, 2017, 02:29 AM
I bid on one a couple of days ago and now the auction has been cancelled. Is that normal for Engeika to do that?

comixfan
September 30th, 2017, 10:31 PM
I bid on one a couple of days ago and now the auction has been cancelled. Is that normal for Engeika to do that?

Not sure. I've only ever won one auction from them, and the sale went through just fine.

Cyril
October 4th, 2017, 12:58 PM
There are so many colors and names and at the end they all have the same quality.If you like a very light pen and if you choose a nib and particuler color it is no doubt a good tool that gives a good writing experience.
I bought mine very recenly and I am waiting for the Ink converter .The problem is they are sold separately and it is a bit annoying.