PDA

View Full Version : Hi from the big apple!

comradelion
September 28th, 2017, 07:06 PM
Hi all!

I starting using a fountain pen about four years ago when I bought a Safari, some Noodler's black and a Rhodia pad. I've not indulged too much in other pens just yet, but writing with a fountain pen has brought a lot of joy and thus persistence in choosing to write long-hand (I'm a computer science PhD student, so between programming, writing papers and normal e-mail stuff, I'm barely off the computer if I don't force it). I've particularly found journaling to be rewarding over the last few years.

I recently started exploring more inks and am gearing up to treat myself to a nicer pen when I reach a milestone in my graduate studies (probably a Lamy 2000 or Diplomat Aero). As a result I've been pouring over pen reviews and blogs (shout out to SBRE Brown who was helped me miss many-a-deadline at this point).

What occasions do you all find to write by hand?

Cheers!
Amit

VertOlive
September 28th, 2017, 08:52 PM
Greetings from the Lone Star Planet. For a long answer to your question, look for the "What Do You Write" thread hereabouts.

Short answer, I journal daily and have dozens of letters in exchange with other FPGeeks.

Marsilius
September 28th, 2017, 11:15 PM
Welcome. I write endless little notes to myself until I realize that I need to get it in printed form to ave to get it on the computer. I like to draw, too.

Anne
September 29th, 2017, 01:17 PM
Welcome! I have a Lamy Vista in my pocketbook and I use that to fill out any paperwork I need to complete. Currently at home, I only have one pen at the table that I use to write anything and everything depending upon what I am doing at the time. I started playing a few video games again and I have a few pages of information for that :)

Hawk
September 29th, 2017, 07:18 PM
Welcome.

jar
September 30th, 2017, 04:56 AM
Welcome home. Pull up a stump and set a spell. Every program, every network, every website I ever created began with paper & pen.

Mags
September 30th, 2017, 07:09 AM
Welcome to the forum pages from Saskatoon. Amit, there are daily occassions a plenty in public service to sign letters, and contracts and some other legal instruments and a juicy wet signature does help leave our mark. increasingly a journal or notebook is still part of many collaborative meetings. Smart boards, laptops for everyone and we all many of us anyway still grab a pad or notebook of paper for our cursively written notes or scribbles. there was a time when i had abandoned the notebook and put all my eggs in to the digital basket carrying a palm pilot and folding key board.....I was met with system glitches back then and many sideways glances as people did not take kindly to the cliquey clack on the keyboards....Ironically I was the young Gen X in the 90's using digital and have drifted toward encouraging new and better digital tools and struggle now to keep up with a blog at work to stay in touch with the 200 or so employees I try to offer leadership today.

Pentode
September 30th, 2017, 08:01 AM
Welcome from Brooklyn!

I started using fountain pens for schoolwork as a kid (it was already well into the ball point dark ages - mid 1970s - but we had fountain pens in the house and I was curious about them), continued using them through college, found myself traveling for work and writing very long letters home several times a week (this was before everyone had an email account). Now I have more pens than time to write and I don't travel for work anymore so the writing has been reduced to lists and notes that I write around the house. I still write letters in longhand to my parents once in a while because I enjoy it, but they often reply via email!

Wahl
October 11th, 2017, 05:04 PM
Hi Amit :welcome: