PDA

View Full Version : VIP Lounge?

KrazyIvan
April 29th, 2013, 04:27 PM
So now that I have been able to see the VIP lounge (the one thread there is not visible). What is it for? I can't create a thread in it either.

Tracy Lee
April 29th, 2013, 04:46 PM
It's the Visconti Incredible Pens lounge. I'm stuck in here.:D

Laura N
April 29th, 2013, 06:16 PM
The first rule of VIP Lounge is you don't talk about VIP Lounge.

fountainpenkid
April 29th, 2013, 06:37 PM
WE post secret stuff that you aren't allowed to see. ;) ;)

thagbert
April 29th, 2013, 06:59 PM
Snobs!

dannzeman
April 29th, 2013, 07:16 PM
So now that I have been able to see the VIP lounge (the one thread there is not visible). What is it for? I can't create a thread in it either.
Right now, it's not really for anything. I had intended it to be a special spot for users who have been here for a while and made a significant contribution to the forum, but I haven't figured out what we should actually put in there.

I'm open to ideas of what we should do with it, if we should even have it.

Thoughts?

tytoalba
April 29th, 2013, 07:19 PM
photos of grail pens?

jar
April 29th, 2013, 07:20 PM
Right now, it's not really for anything. I had intended it to be a special spot for users who have been here for a while and made a significant contribution to the forum, but I haven't figured out what we should actually put in there.

Thoughts?

A bar, and an espresso machine.

fountainpenkid
April 29th, 2013, 07:30 PM

Thoughts?

A bar, and an espresso machine.

Don't forget a Tea house as well. ;)
I don't really see the purpose of it to be honest.

Laura N
April 29th, 2013, 09:04 PM

Thoughts?

Don't ban me, and I don't mean this critically, but since you asked, here's my off-the-cuff response: I actually don't like the idea of having a special place for "members who have been here for a while and made a significant contribution." That seems like it will create hurt feelings. Or at least an atmosphere of exclusion for most and special privileges for a few. I'm sure that's not the intention; it just feels like it could be the effect.

Encouraging everyone, and making everyone feel important, seems better for a community.

Espresso for everyone would be nice, though, if you can work that.

woosang
April 29th, 2013, 09:08 PM

Thoughts?

Don't ban me, and I don't mean this critically, but since you asked, here's my off-the-cuff response: I actually don't like the idea of having a special place for "members who have been here for a while and made a significant contribution." That seems like it will create hurt feelings. Or at least an atmosphere of exclusion for most and special privileges for a few. I'm sure that's not the intention; it just feels like it could be the effect.

Encouraging everyone, and making everyone feel important, seems better for a community.

I agree with the above. To have a special place makes others feel left out and you get an us and them thing.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

Jon Szanto
April 29th, 2013, 09:19 PM
I'm with the girls. Special things for special people is a no-go, because it is the very beginning of speculation.

Unless you put in a couple of massage tables. Then I'm all over it, so to speak... ;)

dannzeman
April 29th, 2013, 09:32 PM

Ban you for expressing your opinion? You must have us confused with some other pen forum. ;-)

The thought behind a VIP Lounge isn't to just pick people and say "You're special! Let's congregate over here!" It'd be intended as more of a reward for those who've dedicated a significant amount of time to sharing and creating useful content, and as an incentive for those who lurk to become more involved.

Or do you think there should be no reward for content creators and those who put in extra effort to make this a great place to visit?

Jon Szanto
April 29th, 2013, 09:46 PM
Or do you think there should be no reward for content creators and those who put in extra effort to make this a great place to visit?
In general, I applaud your desire to give attaboys and attagirls to the people who post the most, and are the kind of people who make a full, well-rounded and valuable contribution to a community.

The fact of the matter is that when I contribute, I do so because the act of sharing my knowledge, my joy, my mistakes and my enthusiasm for the subject is it's own reward. I need nothing else. I would hope others would feel similarly.

Marsilius
April 29th, 2013, 11:13 PM
I would like to have a Forum ABOUT the VIP Lounge.

Bogon07
April 29th, 2013, 11:48 PM
I'm with the girls. Special things for special people is a no-go, because it is the very beginning of speculation.

Unless you put in a couple of massage tables. Then I'm all over it, so to speak... ;)

Special people with special problems....like posting too much.

Oh, how did I get over 1,000 :redface:

writingrav
April 30th, 2013, 04:35 AM
Actually, I think the idea is a little silly. We are all in this together and have consistently enjoyed each other's company. But a free ink testing table would be cool.

fountainpenkid
April 30th, 2013, 05:02 AM

Thoughts?

+1000

fountainpenkid
April 30th, 2013, 05:05 AM
I think a great contributor is not based at all on the number of posts they make. There were at least 3 members I can think of on FPN that made some amazing contributions, but actually posted very little. This is why I don't see how a VIP lounge would really be justified.

Sailor Kenshin
April 30th, 2013, 05:51 AM
In general, I applaud your desire to give attaboys and attagirls to the people who post the most, and are the kind of people who make a full, well-rounded and valuable contribution to a community.

The fact of the matter is that when I contribute, I do so because the act of sharing my knowledge, my joy, my mistakes and my enthusiasm for the subject is it's own reward. I need nothing else. I would hope others would feel similarly.

Oh Hello Kitteh no. I WANT to be part of a secret cabal. ;p

dannzeman
April 30th, 2013, 07:05 AM
I think a great contributor is not based at all on the number of posts they make. There were at least 3 members I can think of on FPN that made some amazing contributions, but actually posted very little. This is why I don't see how a VIP lounge would really be justified.
The board software allows us to set parameters for VIP status including post count, reputation level, and how long they've been registered. Reputation level is the key here as it is a measure of the quality of a user's submission as voted on by the community.

UPDATE

VIP Forum and status has been removed.

Biber
April 30th, 2013, 07:29 AM
I'm conflicted. At first blush I have to admit I'm put off by the idea of, as a previous poster put it "a special place for special people", after all, aren't we all in this together? It's about fountain pens for cryin out loud! But then again, I also feel such "all inclusiveness", like that which seems to have taken over certain quarters of our society, only serves to pad egos and cause problems which is neither fair nor helpful to the community. On the other hand why shouldn't someone who "invests" (not necessarily monetarily) more than most, be rewarded with special status, privileges, abilities or access? I should think the ultimate fairness would be that this special status be obtainable by all, though I'm not sure how reputation level would figure into that. So again, what's so special about the VIP lounge? What's the point? Did I say I was conflicted? Strike that, I think I don't care more than I'm conflicted about it. From what this thread has said about the lounge I can't imagine anything taking place in there that I would really care about. But if that lights your fire, by all means, go for it.

Sorry for the digression, haven't had enough coffee yet. - carry on...

dannzeman
April 30th, 2013, 07:49 AM
Looks like the community has made a decision. I'll give it to the end of the day to see if anyone presents a different view, then I'll remove the VIP Forum and VIP member status.

jbb
April 30th, 2013, 08:06 AM
OMG, I was totally trying to rack up posts to get in that lounge and find out what everyone was REALLY saying but in this current climate of penanoia I vote: Take down those walls Mr Dannzeman.

:hippie: Love the site, love the posts, love that eveyone's being so nice to me. :hippie:

jar
April 30th, 2013, 08:20 AM
Looks like the community has made a decision. I'll give it to the end of the day to see if anyone presents a different view, then I'll remove the VIP Forum and VIP member status.

But I still want a bar and an espresso machine!

KrazyIvan
April 30th, 2013, 08:23 AM
I don't mind either way. I just wanted to know what it was for since it seems somewhat pointless as it stands right now. :)

Annie
April 30th, 2013, 10:20 AM
Can I vote for big comfy sofas? Coffee/ tea/ fruit juice/ tequilla slammers after the sun is over the yard arm. That's the refreshements sorted...

Could we also have a library, preferably only 1st editions and absolutely no grubby paperbacks.

May we also have a pen swap table? I'm thinking that entry could be by donating a pen to the custom made walnut, silk lined pen box by the door. Raffle the contents once a month and the VIP lounge has funded itself.

crazystan
April 30th, 2013, 10:35 AM
:hippie: Love the site, love the posts, love that eveyone's being so nice to me. :hippie:

Why wouldn't anyone be nice to you??? You send beautifully-scripted, glittery thank you notes in your packages!

crazystan
April 30th, 2013, 10:38 AM

On a serious note... for an inexpensive, real life alternative, try using an Aeropress. Hands down, my favorite non-living thing next to fountain pens. You can use it to make espresso, or, just regular old coffee; and, it's only $25 for the best tasting coffee you will ever drink.

jar
April 30th, 2013, 10:41 AM

On a serious note... for an inexpensive, real life alternative, try using an Aeropress. Hands down, my favorite non-living thing next to fountain pens. You can use it to make espresso, or, just regular old coffee; and, it's only $25 for the best tasting coffee you will ever drink.

Yeah, its okay. But I have a surplus of coffee making stuff anyway. It's the VIP lounge that needs the espresso machine and an aeropress is about a useless as a french press for that.

Annie
April 30th, 2013, 10:42 AM

Oh. :( Do we still get the sofas/tequilla slammers/1st editions library? How about just the slammers? No okay, just coffee then? Oh please no, not...d....de...DECAFF!!!

Sailor Kenshin
April 30th, 2013, 11:12 AM

What's 'aeropressss,' ehh, Precioussssss?

dannzeman
April 30th, 2013, 06:48 PM

Laura N
April 30th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Dan, I just circled back to this thread. I am so impressed with the way you approached this whole thing. It's a breath of fresh air to find a forum administrator who asks for comments from members and really listens to their input. I like this place. Thank you.

Marsilius
April 30th, 2013, 07:16 PM
OK, but can we still have a Forum ABOUT the VIP Lounge That Was? Congratulations on being such cool Geeks!

dannzeman
April 30th, 2013, 07:19 PM
OK, but can we still have a Forum ABOUT the VIP Lounge That Was? Congratulations on being such cool Geeks!
I don't think we need a whole forum about it. A thread should suffice.

reprieve
April 30th, 2013, 08:04 PM
So... where's the open bar again? I'm still looking for those tequila slammers! :cheers:

Pens&Lit
April 30th, 2013, 08:58 PM
Dan, I just circled back to this thread. I am so impressed with the way you approached this whole thing. It's a breath of fresh air to find a forum administrator who asks for comments from members and really listens to their input. I like this place. Thank you.

+1 to this. This has me very glad that I found my way here. I will proceed to get comfortable in my new preferred fp forum. Thanks for caring about member input and opinion.

Marsilius
April 30th, 2013, 10:09 PM
I don't think we need a whole forum about it. A thread should suffice.

I know, he says sheepishly. Aren't you glad I won't try to make this a bad running joke about wanting a Forum? :rolleyes:
(I have just gotten a little giddy from all the excitement.)
Thanks again!

cedargirl
April 30th, 2013, 11:45 PM

Good call, Dan.

ethernautrix
May 1st, 2013, 10:33 AM

Thoughts?

Go-go girls and Chippendales?

You know, to go with the bar and the espresso machine.

ethernautrix
May 1st, 2013, 10:37 AM

I don't know, Jon. I kindv want something... um... like... hey, who said massage? Massage is good. Or... um... points that I could accumulate and buy a Nakaya with. Maybe?

ethernautrix
May 1st, 2013, 10:39 AM
OMG, I was totally trying to rack up posts to get in that lounge and find out what everyone was REALLY saying but in this current climate of penanoia I vote: Take down those walls Mr Dannzeman.

*Laughing* Love this post!

ethernautrix
May 1st, 2013, 10:41 AM

Oops.

*Waves hanky* Farewell, go-go girls. Good-bye, Chippendales. We never even had a chance....

Tracy Lee
May 1st, 2013, 05:20 PM
Wait, what? No VIP lounge? I just bought some fuzzy slippers and a smoking jacket. Now I feel kinda overdressed for a plain old forum. . . :confused::D:beer:

KrazyIvan
May 1st, 2013, 10:09 PM
You can never be overdressed at FPGeeks. Remember, Eric and Doc Brown went to a pen show in Tuxedos. :D

Jon Szanto
May 1st, 2013, 10:12 PM
You can never be overdressed at FPGeeks. Remember, Eric and Doc Brown went to a pen show in Tuxedos. :D
Yeah, but did they own them or did they rent them? And, bottom line: did they tie their own bow ties? ;)

Tracy Lee
May 2nd, 2013, 05:04 AM
Yeah, but did they own them or did they rent them? And, bottom line: did they tie their own bow ties? ;)

:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

johniem
May 7th, 2013, 08:52 AM
I'm just catching up on my reading here. I think a VIP Lounge defeats the purpose and value of a forum such as FPG. How can those new to the forum and fountain pens benefit from the knowledge and experience of the experts if they (the experts) lock themselves away in a privileged area. Just saying.

dannzeman
May 7th, 2013, 09:18 AM
I'm just catching up on my reading here. I think a VIP Lounge defeats the purpose and value of a forum such as FPG. How can those new to the forum and fountain pens benefit from the knowledge and experience of the experts if they (the experts) lock themselves away in a privileged area. Just saying.
Not sure if you read the whole thread, John, but the VIP Forum and status has been removed.

thagbert
May 7th, 2013, 06:07 PM
I was looking forward to getting keys to the VIP washroom and access to the private lake resort!

silver seller
May 15th, 2013, 09:22 AM
what you don't know can't hurt you !
I think its a good thing so this forum can still stay better than the others with people tweaking things in the back ground :)

Flounder
May 15th, 2013, 04:02 PM
I'm glad you took on board my recommendation that the VIP lounge is invisibled, these clueless chumps are kept happy and none the wiser ! :big_boss:

edit - WOOPS! How do I invisible this via the special VIP control panel?

Marsilius
May 16th, 2013, 05:37 PM
I'm glad you took on board my recommendation that the VIP lounge is invisibled, these clueless chumps are kept happy and none the wiser ! :big_boss:

edit - WOOPS! How do I invisible this via the special VIP control panel?

If you have to ask, clearly you are not aware of VVIP status.

cwent2
May 16th, 2013, 06:28 PM

Just throwing it out there, I have my own tux - but I do not tie my bow tie - no it is not a clip on it's a hook on - long strip connected by a hook and ring.

And you can really get a laugh if you picture me on my Harley Davidson Electra Glide dressed up in a tux - monthly occurrence in good weather.