PDA

View Full Version : Somewhat water resistant inks....

mookie2112
October 4th, 2017, 03:36 PM
I do have a big ink collection, but I find that I mostly use inks that are more on the bulletproof/eternal/document/water proof and resistant in nature. Why?

Well....I've had way too many times where a page (or note....or notebook) got soaked in water....or splashed with water.

Only to have way too many notes and papers just turn into pure mush.

I do have just about all the bulletproof/document inks that I can find.

But.....what about other inks that are somewhat water resistant? For instance, I just came across Cross Black ink and found that it does have some water resistant properties.....

What other inks have you found that hold up good under water that are NOT specifically waterproof/eternal/bulletproof?

Thanks!!!

Mookie

tadamonoron
October 5th, 2017, 01:00 AM
Recently, I recently got Scribe's Inks bottles (in a few colors, Turquoise Blue, Black and Pink-ish color) from a pen show. They cost about $18 each.

These are home/hand-made inks sold by a gentleman in his LA pen shop (I think you can find the info on Google).

The cool thing was his demo: He wrote using these inks on a piece of paper, and then submerged them in a water tray for the entire weekend -- nothing changed on the paper!

I was so impressed by this test that I repeated the same test at home for all my pens (FPs, rollerballs, etc.) :-)

So far, my experience with that ink has been very good; I used the black in fine nib and blue in a nice stub/calligraphy nib. Cleaning the pens has not been a issue at all -- no staining (even in a demonstrator).

Happy to exchange one of my bottles, if that enhances your collection of water-resistant inks!
(PM me if interested)

Cheers.

Paddler
October 5th, 2017, 07:43 AM
I sacrificed a composition notebook and checked all of my inks in a soak test. I wrote on each page with a single ink, skipping a page between inks. I wrote along the top edge of the page, the outside edge, the center, and along the valley. The notebook then was held shut with rubber bands and put into a plastic bag with enough distilled water to completely flood it. It stayed like that for about 10 days until it started to smell bad. The idea was to simulate flood damage or water damage from a fire. The results were interesting.

Some inks just diffused away and left a colored stain on their pages and on adjacent ones. Other inks feathered but stayed put. Others bled onto several nearby sheets but remained legible. Some appeared unaffected. Vintage Skrip and Quinks marked "permanent" lost color but left behind legible gray writing. Some inks survived better in the valley than on the edges.

tadamonoron
October 5th, 2017, 08:24 PM
Nice test! So which inks survived the best?

Paddler
October 6th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Nice test! So which inks survived the best?

India inks, Herbin Encre Noire, and Noodler's Bulletproof inks survived the best. Next best were the vintage Skrip and Quink "permanent" inks. A few others were marginal. Some remained legible on the page they were written on, but bled over to adjacent pages and made them illegible, sometimes ruining three pages on either side. A journal written with those would have been a total loss -- worse than a palimpsest.

Scooby921
October 6th, 2017, 07:29 AM
I think I lost all of my permanency test strips, but at one point I had written with a couple dozen different colors on the back of a business card and then rinsed it under water. The goal was to show off just how permanent MB Perm Blue really is. I don't remember which ink, but one of them lost all of it's primary color yet left behind a mostly permanent ghost of text. I think it was a blue ink which left behind a gray / charcoal shadow of what was originally written. It was still good enough to read. Presuming it's one of the colors I actually bought a bottle of and not just a sample from Goulet/Anderson then perhaps it's something I can recreate this weekend.

carlos.q
October 6th, 2017, 09:29 AM
In my experience these inks are water resistant:
Diamine Prussian Blue
Diamine Sapphire
Herbin Perle Noire
Pelikan 4001 Blue Black
Pelikan 4001 Brilliant Black
Pilot Blue
Pilot Blue-Black
Sheaffer Skrip Black

I haven't tried these but they are supposedly water resistant:
Pilot Black
Sheaffer Blue Black

KKay
October 6th, 2017, 11:27 PM
I've heard Dromgoole's Texas Live Oak, and Chisholm Trail are both waterproof or highly water resistant. I plan to test them, but haven't done so yet. Noodler's-Zhivago, Burma Road Brown, and Green Marine, and Walnut are also supposed to be. (I'm sure there are others)

GvFC inks often are highly water resistant. Many of your ig inks are water resistant. I have been seeking highly water resistant/waterproof inks as well. I have two Noodler's Warden series inks, and have had no issues with them. I also have the Noodler's Lexington Gray. I have had zero issues with that ink as well. I don't own Green Marine, but it is on my wish list. I don't own Walnut. Chisholm Trail is on my wish list. I'm still deciding on Texas Live Oak. (I have a sample)

UPDATE: I tested Texas Live Oak and Chisholm Trail, they did not move after half a minute or so under a big drop of water. That is good enough for me!

Paddler
October 7th, 2017, 06:45 AM
Noodler's Green Marine is semi bulletproof. The green washes away and leaves a legible gray on the page.