PDA

View Full Version : Toronto Tomoe River Group Buy

D Armstrong
April 29th, 2013, 08:59 PM
This is a continuation of the presently unavailable FPN thread on the topic of our almost-complete Toronto Pen Meet-up Tomoe River paper group buy. In view of the reliability issues there, I am abandoning it permanently for this one.

I've sent out emails to everyone who signed up, so hopefully you all know that the paper is here. I have posted a blog entry on our website with some photos, just to get everyone drooling:

http://www.restorersart.com/tomoe-river-paper-group-buy/

I have also emailed everyone that, wouldn't you know it, I can't actually make it to the next meet-up. So I will post details here of alternative arrangements for pick-up as I confirm them.

gwgtaylor
April 30th, 2013, 12:17 AM
A week earlier? Great!

I was gonna use all mine as letter paper to save on excess postage but after reading David's awesome blog entry about receiving and dividing the paper I'm thinking a notebook or two could be fun.

Who is everyone using to bind their notebooks? Do we have a local Toronto binder?

Thanks!
-Gerald

paperballs
April 30th, 2013, 05:42 AM
Thanks for the wonderful blog entry, David!

Cyber6
April 30th, 2013, 08:49 AM
Hi David.. THANKS so much for all the work..

Cyber6

mkglobetrotter
April 30th, 2013, 01:19 PM
I enjoyed reading the detailed post, David! Thanks for taking all that time to make sure the paper is packaged properly for us. Can't wait to try it. I'll have to wait to the 18th to get it, alas!

gwgtaylor
April 30th, 2013, 03:58 PM
Question please David. In the blog it mentions the size is A2 which would be 4 times the size of A4. Is that correct? Thats massive! :-)

Also the blog mentions a different per page price. Can I email you the cash for the paper when I pick it up? (Interac email transfer)

Thanks again!

D Armstrong
April 30th, 2013, 07:49 PM
Question please David. In the blog it mentions the size is A2 which would be 4 times the size of A4. Is that correct? Thats massive! :-)

Also the blog mentions a different per page price. Can I email you the cash for the paper when I pick it up? (Interac email transfer)

Thanks again!

Gerald, Gerald...always the troublemaker, aren't you ;)

Go by my comprehensive re-adjusted email: 8.3¢. (I have just updated the blog post.) 500 sheets are $41.50, 1,000 sheets $83. I'm not sure how interac email transfer works, but am willing to try pretty much anything, so long as it re-inflates my bank account!

And yes, it's A4-sized (297 x 210 mm), so you won't have to bring a wheelbarrow. (I have just updated the blog post. Good grief!)

D Armstrong
April 30th, 2013, 07:55 PM
And so, to the good news. I have confirmed early-delivery plans.

I will be at the Green Beanery (http://www.greenbeanery.ca/bean/home.php) at 565 Bloor Street West (across from Honest Ed's) on Saturday, May 11, from 1:00-3:00 p.m. I have booked the "vault", which is the back room (easily seen from the cash register: it's the one with the two-ton bank vault door).

The coffee is excellent, the chocolate chip shortbread cookies are melt-in-your-mouth, and there will be piles of paper. (In fact, if the room sat more than about eight people, it would be a great meet-up location:( )

gwgtaylor
April 30th, 2013, 08:21 PM
Green beanery is awesome! I like your style! I wonder how many fountain pen enthusiasts are also home roasters. Interesting

D Armstrong
April 30th, 2013, 09:18 PM
Green beanery is awesome! I like your style! I wonder how many fountain pen enthusiasts are also home roasters. Interesting

Heh heh. Two years and counting, Guatemala Antigua by preference, with a little FreshRoast 500. We buy it in 20 lb. bags, so it comes out to only just under $5 per pound.

You know, I noticed the other day that those 'Tassimo' things are $30/pound! I just can't figure out why people would pay so much to drink that stuff...

gwgtaylor
April 30th, 2013, 09:30 PM
Nice! I used to use a popcorn popper regularly for years then got a roaster from here--don't remember which. Gave it away as results too inconsistent and so much smoke I had to roast on my balcony anyway. Might have to get another hot air popper. Or maybe I'll try a heat gun / dog bowl method. Ethiopian yirgicheffe is my go to bean.

writingrav
April 30th, 2013, 10:16 PM
Roasted my own for the longest time, first with a popcorn popper then a roaster, then got lazy and gave it all up.

gwgtaylor
May 1st, 2013, 05:01 AM
Roasted my own for the longest time, first with a popcorn popper then a roaster, then got lazy and gave it all up.

I'm in the lazy phase too. Tim Hortons by the can FTW!

raging.dragon
May 1st, 2013, 07:07 PM
I'm far too busy (lazy?) to roast my own. Though I do buy premium roasted whole beans and grind them just before brewing.

I'm in the lazy phase too. Tim Hortons by the can FTW!

Tim Hortons coffee? :puke:

mkglobetrotter
May 2nd, 2013, 12:08 PM
Any other coffee shops downtown that are worth visiting? I'm just beginning to learn more about how real coffee should taste...

D Armstrong
May 3rd, 2013, 06:33 PM
Manic Coffee, at College and Bathurst. They have a clover machine which brews an excellent cup. The place can be noisy, full, and a bit radical, though, so be prepared. But the coffee...

Dark Horse at Spadina and Sullivan is pretty good, too. And the tables are monstrous old industrial work tables about 8' x 10', and you just pull up a chair, which works surprisingly well. And there's a very cool living wall in the foyer of the building.

Great, now we're waaay off topic. Just don't anyone ask about single malt...

mkglobetrotter
May 4th, 2013, 09:19 AM
Thanks! Until a few days ago, I had no idea that coffee shouldn't be bitter, so this should be an interesting learning experience!

To get back on topic: has it been decided who will bring the remaining batches of paper to the meet-up on the 18th?

Cyber6
May 11th, 2013, 06:40 AM
Getting ready to go get my paper... YAY!!!!!!!

I also LOOOOVE the Green Beanery.... I'll see you there !!!!!!!!

gwgtaylor
May 11th, 2013, 08:19 AM
I'm pretty excited. See you before 3. I'll be coming nearer the end of your time window as I've got dim sum plans