PDA

View Full Version : Well, so much for this "one big happy pen family" foolishness

OcalaFlGuy
April 30th, 2013, 08:14 AM
A very well known major contributor to The Geeks refuses to answer a simple nearly yes/no pen question because I am a
member of FPN and They are having a major pi**ing contest with FPN management?

Really?

Seriously?

They state they're not answering that simple pen question to safeguard their livelihood.

I can't speak to that validity but I damn sure Do Know it's Cleaned Out the former Formidable balance of their Respect account.

It's Damn Sad when Rodney King's famous words Actually Do serve as a lesson to both FPN and FPG, they're Both better than that.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

sloegin
April 30th, 2013, 08:37 AM
What's the question?

jbb
April 30th, 2013, 08:43 AM
Nooooooooo.... say it ain't so.

Anyway, I'm glad you're here Bruce!

OcalaFlGuy
April 30th, 2013, 09:45 AM
Thanks JBB glad to see you too.

No so glad for your having been "pushed" here...

Bruce in Ocala, FL

caribbean_skye
April 30th, 2013, 10:05 AM
Welcome welcome Bruce.

Didja make it up to the show in Atlanta again this year? I moved to TX so I wasn't able to meet up with you, Trillium and a few others again. :(

OcalaFlGuy
April 30th, 2013, 10:15 AM
CS, Nope, this was my first year in several I've missed. I'm still regretting not having gone.

Sloegin, I'd like to answer the question but unfortunately, that would point to the other party in the conversation which wasn't my
intent here. FWIW, I've clearly asked the same question very recently in some other area of FPG. :wink:

Bruce in Ocala, FL

reprieve
April 30th, 2013, 11:13 AM
:shocked: Aren't nearly all of us members (or ex-members) of FPN?

crazystan
April 30th, 2013, 11:17 AM
It's starting to look that way...

caleath
April 30th, 2013, 12:44 PM
It's a free country.......if your not happy, hit the road.

sargetalon
April 30th, 2013, 03:24 PM
A very well known major contributor to The Geeks refuses to answer a simple nearly yes/no pen question because I am a

Really?

Seriously?

They state they're not answering that simple pen question to safeguard their livelihood.

I can't speak to that validity but I damn sure Do Know it's Cleaned Out the former Formidable balance of their Respect account.

It's Damn Sad when Rodney King's famous words Actually Do serve as a lesson to both FPN and FPG, they're Both better than that.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

It is interesting that there is a whole world of underground pen politics that I've been completely ignorant of. Good to see you here though Bruce. I've always found your post to be informative and helpful.

fountainpenkid
April 30th, 2013, 03:49 PM
That's f!@%ing ridiculous!! Holding such a prejudice is absolutely un called for...I despise FPN's recent happenings, but certainly not its members!(I used to be a member and still hold a secret account there.)

david i
May 1st, 2013, 02:40 PM

Really?

Seriously?

Bruce in Ocala, FL

It is hard to draw conclusions regarding your complaint, absent any useful details.

At the very least, what question do you have?

Surely more than one person knows the answer...

Too, it would be interesting to know if someone fears his presence on FPN might be jeopardized by acting here. It would point again to my observation that hobby boards are supposed to be fun, and that FPN just isn't fun ;)

regards

david

david i
May 1st, 2013, 02:44 PM
That's f!@%ing ridiculous!! Holding such a prejudice is absolutely un called for...I despise FPN's recent happenings, but certainly not its members!(I used to be a member and still hold a secret account there.)

Hi Will,

Perhaps more details will help in assessing the matter. Many stories have more than one side, but we have in this case essentially no side...

regards

d

heraclitus682
May 1st, 2013, 02:55 PM
Ha! I've "discovered" the member. He is infamous for dealing with...if I am correct. I bet I am.

OcalaFlGuy
May 1st, 2013, 04:01 PM

Hi Will,

Perhaps more details will help in assessing the matter. Many stories have more than one side, but we have in this case essentially no side...

regards

d

There isn't much more to report, I am not one to usually hide important integral points.

I asked a simple question that 3 other professionals eagerly answered.
I had "-FPN" by my Signature as I often do in emails.
I was told the person has an ongoing problem with the powers that be at FPN and to protect them and their livelihood
they would not be able to answer my question.

I can't make it much simpler or complete than that.

Oh, I can add another point, I've done small personal favors for this person, I've done happy business with them, I've recommended them. None of that is likely happen again
as things are now.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

david i
May 1st, 2013, 04:09 PM
Hi Bruce,

If i follow, the person who won't answer question is not taking that stance to protect FPN or people there but rather because he fears their response to seeing his addressing you? Or, he is not answering you because he identifies you with FPN and doesn't want to help anyone who likes FPN?

Those are different scenarios, but I'm not sure reading your note which is the case here.

Regards

David

OcalaFlGuy
May 1st, 2013, 04:20 PM
I really don't care which reason it is. One is as childish and unprofessional to me as the other.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

heraclitus682
May 1st, 2013, 04:22 PM
Greg Minuskin

david i
May 1st, 2013, 04:33 PM
I really don't care which reason it is. One is as childish and unprofessional to me as the other.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Bruce, I hear your frustration and irritation, but for me motivation counts. If the guy is mad at you simply because you like FPN, that reflects poorly on him, unless he has specific issue regarding an action you took toward him on FPN. On other hand, if he is fearful of FPN messing with his pen business, this reflects far more poorly on FPN than on him. I reiterate (I've raised this a few times the last couple days here at FPG), pen boards are for our fun. When they grow too big for their own britches, and start to devalue the members (really the only reason a Board exists), and when they are in position to harm members, then... where is the fun? Time to abandon such boards.

regards

david

OcalaFlGuy
May 1st, 2013, 04:43 PM
David,

They are in the pen business.

They won't answer my question because of WHATEVER damn FPN related reason.

They WILL answer questions for FPG members.

Now David, you can color that with whatever damn watercolors and look at it through whatever OBEY glasses you desire that make
it palatable for you.

It still won't be for palatable me.

[Their initial response was kind and pleasant. I can presume they at least HAD no issue with me personally or they wouldn't have replied that way, if at all.
It may be possible NOW they have an issue with my After reading my response to them to their reply to me.]

Bruce in Ocala, FL

david i
May 1st, 2013, 04:47 PM
David,

They are in the pen business.

They won't answer my question because of WHATEVER damn FPN related reason.

They WILL answer questions for FPG members.

Now David, you can color that with whatever damn watercolors and look at it through whatever OBEY glasses you desire that make
it palatable for you.

It still won't be for palatable me.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Hi Bruce,

I'm not trying to color anything. I merely seek to understand the actual complaint. I'm not seeking palatability, rather I seek insight. The initial posts did not make clear the *why* of the refusal to answer question, so I sought to clarify.

regards

david

Greg Minuskin
May 1st, 2013, 05:03 PM
Hey, welcome Bruce! Glad to have you on the FP Geeks blog site! Eric and Dan really are fun to do the FP Geeks podcast with, and with Steven on board from overseas, well, that sure makes things very international!

Remember, you can get "serious" nibbage from me for your pens (credit goes to Steven for that term, he he!)

I don't post much here, mostly welcoming new people to this site, for sometimes I am too busy for sure, but I hope I can assist you. We have done business in the past as you know.

Greg Minuskin
greg@gregminuskin.com
www.gregminuskin.com

HughC
May 1st, 2013, 05:05 PM
If it's the person mentioned earlier ( Greg) I fully understand ( or think I do..) his position. Put ink, lawyers, and someone unhappy with their product together then discretion becomes the better part of valour. In short I think (?) he's reached an agreement ( probably under duress/treat of legal action) where he has to be careful as to what he says or writes as a poster in a forum is legally responsible for it's content. Of course Greg won't disclose the details because that would probably also be "naughty". This is based on speculation from my personal observations and comments posted elsewhere/here say so may or may no be accurate.

Regards
Hugh

fountainpenkid
May 1st, 2013, 06:40 PM
I don't understand how doing business with someone that has connections with a board you think might screw you're sales up is actually going to make that board "hurt" you...it is a private thing, right? I don't get it.