PDA

View Full Version : Air lock

RocketRyan
October 16th, 2017, 03:48 AM
Morning all, I have a visconti opera elements which seems to be getting an air lock when writing, it's causing the pen to run dry. Sometimes I can write a few pages, sometimes only a line, it's very frustrating. Anyone know how to remedy this issue. Ryan

Fermata
October 16th, 2017, 04:00 AM
I take it that the airlock is holding the ink at the top of the cartridge.

If the pen is new flush the converter with warm water with a little detergent, just a drop.

You could also try using a cartridge, if that works then you know its all down to the converter.

If it is established that surface tension in the converter is holding the ink up then try a tiny plastic ball pushed into the converter to break the surface tension of a small coiled piece of wire.

jar
October 16th, 2017, 04:54 AM
Instead of a ball use a gold compression spring like those used on keyboards.

RocketRyan
October 16th, 2017, 05:36 AM
I will give these a go. I have tried two converters, the Schmidt one seems better than the visconti one but far from perfect. Thanks

Fermata
October 16th, 2017, 05:53 AM
I will give these a go. I have tried two converters, the Schmidt one seems better than the visconti one but far from perfect. Thanks

That makes sense, try an alternative converter and see how you go, best of luck. I would also try a cartridge - if only to resore your faith in the pen.

RocketRyan
October 16th, 2017, 12:00 PM
I tried a waterman cartridge because I have known them to work well in other pens, but the issue remained. Then I tried the new converter. I suspect it may be due to the pen being so wet, but the palladium nib doesn't seem to accept adjustments.

Fermata
October 16th, 2017, 11:01 PM
If you have eliminated problems with the cartridge or the converter then it is down to ink supply issues, if you dont have sufficient skills then its time to send it away to a nib person in your area.

RocketRyan
October 17th, 2017, 11:33 AM
You could be right. I wonder if you can buy a converter with an agitator.

Fermata
October 17th, 2017, 12:40 PM
might be easier to find a 2.5mm steel ball to go inside your converter.

A pack of ten costs £2.29

Think of the fun you could have with the remaining nine.

https://simplybearings.co.uk/shop/p35910/2.5mm-Diameter-Grade-100-Hardened-52100-Chrome-Steel-Ball-Bearings/product_info.html

Scooby921
October 18th, 2017, 05:37 AM
You could be right. I wonder if you can buy a converter with an agitator.
I believe the standard Montblanc converter comes with a small spring agitator in it. The threads at the base of the MB converter may not play well with the Visconti, but I think the spring should fit into other converters.

Regarding Visconti and writing issues, I've had my share with my own Visconti pens. In most of them I've discovered that the feed needed a good soak and clean in some oil removing dish soap. I don't know what their production process is and whether or not they properly clean things before assembly and shipment, but it has always felt like there was some kind of residue on the feed preventing good flow of ink and air. Cleaning it thoroughly seemed to improve all of my Visconti pens.

Fermata
October 18th, 2017, 07:12 AM
This is good advice from Scooby, escpecially if the Visconti is new. However it may not explain the airlock as described by which I take it that all the ink is at the top of the converter and surface tension inside the converter is preventing the ink from flowing towards the feed.

If the problem persists with a cartridge then there is another issue. After a thorough wash as suggested, I would send it away for expert attention.

RocketRyan
November 23rd, 2017, 07:33 AM
I have now added a small agitator ball to the Schmidt converter, I have written a page without issue. I did also use some soapy water to clean it last time so fingers crossed I may have turned a corner with this pen. I will keep you posted. (Pun intended) thanks for all the advice.

Chrissy
November 23rd, 2017, 09:34 AM
Instead of a ball use a gold compression spring like those used on keyboards.
This works. :)

RocketRyan
November 23rd, 2017, 11:54 AM
If the agitator doesn't, this is my next attempt. Helpful that the converter comes apart so simply too.