PDA

View Full Version : Organics Studio return!!

SIR
October 20th, 2017, 06:28 AM
Muahahahahaha ;)

http://purepens.co.uk/acatalog/Organics-Studio-Inks.html

urushi4u
October 20th, 2017, 06:47 AM
Whatever happened to nitrogen? Is it no longer made?

SIR
October 20th, 2017, 08:45 AM
Whatever happened to nitrogen? Is it no longer made?

"One thing I would like to mention is that we have made well over 40 different colors over the past 5 years or so, and we have phased them out for various reasons throughout that time. We are going to address this large collection of colors by continually reintroducing past colors and phasing out new colors based on a few factors: demand primarily, followed by dye and component availability. Some inks require dye that is not easily sourced that will unfortunately dictate availability. We will try to make this known as each ink is released and reissued so that you can come across a bottle if you’ve been searching for a while. Most recently, we have reintroduced around 100 bottles each of Mercury (Hg) Red, Potassium (K) Lavender, and the cult favorite Arsenic (As) Gray. Due up next for a brief rerelease after will be Boron (B) Brown, and Mark Twain’s Halley’s Comet Blue as we phase out Lewis Carroll’s Queen’s Rose and Neon (Ne) Orange. In the next month, we will also be releasing two new sheening inks."

http://www.organicsstudio.com/2017/08/09/sheen-and-other-stuff-too/

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0648/5185/products/Thoreau_1024x1024.png?v=1501877968
https://i0.wp.com/www.organicsstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/untitled.png?w=1000
https://i1.wp.com/www.organicsstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/20634810_1990002904567298_1423921958025691136_n.jp g?w=480
https://i2.wp.com/www.organicsstudio.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/19984889_328013650970124_7632159363188129792_n.jpg ?w=640

Chrissy
October 20th, 2017, 09:53 AM
I brought a bottle of Thoreau Walden Pond back from Florida at the beginning of October. :)

Here's a very quick swab:

Lady Onogaro
October 20th, 2017, 10:22 AM
I just bought Walden Pond and Nitrogen.

migo984
October 20th, 2017, 11:39 AM
I just bought Walden Pond and Nitrogen.

I also have those two :-)

kevmid
October 20th, 2017, 04:14 PM
I just bought Emerson Twilight Blue, Walden Pond Blue, Nitrogen, Nickel Teal and Willow Green :)

Chrissy
November 7th, 2017, 04:23 PM
Someone suggested to me that Organics Studio inks should be treated with Phenol to ensure they don't go mouldy.

Does anyone know a source for Phenol (Carbolic Acid) in the UK?

mulrich
November 7th, 2017, 06:54 PM
I picked up a bottle of Nitrogen and Walden Pond while in Houston last week and just finished my first inking of Walden Pond. This is the first ink I’ve used that may sheen too much. It’s also been a bit of a chore to clean out of the pen and cap. I keep thinking I got everything out but a short soak keeps discovering more ink buried somewhere in the cap. Even with that, the ink is really neat. I’ll remember to only use it in a CC pen.

migo984
November 7th, 2017, 09:15 PM
I picked up a bottle of Nitrogen and Walden Pond while in Houston last week and just finished my first inking of Walden Pond. This is the first ink I’ve used that may sheen too much. It’s also been a bit of a chore to clean out of the pen and cap. I keep thinking I got everything out but a short soak keeps discovering more ink buried somewhere in the cap. Even with that, the ink is really neat. I’ll remember to only use it in a CC pen.

I agree. I also think there is too much sheen; almost as gaudy as sparkle inks. It's nearly impossible to see the true colour of the ink. And the ink takes an age to dry too. I'll be very cautious which pens I use it in. I'll probably limit it to my Serendipity and glass nib dip pens.

mulrich
November 7th, 2017, 09:21 PM
I agree. I also think there is too much sheen; almost as gaudy as sparkle inks. It's nearly impossible to see the true colour of the ink. And the ink takes an age to dry too. I'll be very cautious which pens I use it in. I'll probably limit it to my Serendipity and glass nib dip pens.

I forgot about the smudging and long dry time. Even after a few days to settle, any moisture on my hands sucks ink of the page. This may become a Christmas card ink to go along with EoC. There are things I like about the ink but it’s definitely high maintenance.

fountainpagan
November 8th, 2017, 01:45 AM
1 clove inside the botle can prevent mold.

Chrissy
November 8th, 2017, 02:26 AM
Wow, really? :confused: Does the clove itself remain intact too? :)

fountainpagan
November 8th, 2017, 02:43 AM
Normally, yes.
My oak gall ink has 2 years, and the cloves in it didn't move (well, I don't move the bottle often, either).

Edit - but you can leave the clove for a month, or two, and take it out after. There will sufficient antiseptic for a good moment.

Chrissy
November 8th, 2017, 02:49 AM
Normally, yes.
My oak gall ink has 2 years, and the cloves in it didn't move (well, I don't move the bottle often, either).

Edit - but you can leave the clove for a month, or two, and take it out after. There will sufficient antiseptic for a good moment.
Thank you for the good idea. :)

urushi4u
November 8th, 2017, 07:56 AM
Ink hacks!

Marsilius
November 8th, 2017, 08:19 AM
I should not have read this post before getting to work. I don't think I will be able to focus on other things now. The ink is amazing looking, and I am back onto thinking about how I can ever turn my own two trash bags of galls into ink.

fountainpagan
November 8th, 2017, 11:50 AM
Normally, yes.

Thank you for the good idea. :)

You are welcome

TSherbs
November 8th, 2017, 05:02 PM

I wondered about these issues. This is too much sheen for me, anyway.

VertOlive
November 8th, 2017, 09:53 PM
Someone suggested to me that Organics Studio inks should be treated with Phenol to ensure they don't go mouldy.

Christy, phenol is a carcinogen. Handle with care and plenty of ventilation. A clove might be safer.

Chrissy
November 9th, 2017, 02:28 AM

Christy, phenol is a carcinogen. Handle with care and plenty of ventilation. A clove might be safer.

Thank you. :) I've read about that, but it's still available in a throat spray over here. I have special ventilation and a special face mask from when I was restoring ceramics. So if I ever did manage to find any I would be really careful. :)

The only problem I can foresee with a clove is that once it's in the bottle, I won't be able to see it, so that it could be fished out again if it became necessary. :(

fountainpagan
November 9th, 2017, 04:08 AM
Use a very fine thread (such as sewing thread which you can double, for better resistance) to hang the clove inside the bottle with, so that you can close the bottle with not trouble, and use a bit of scotch to glue the other end to the bottle (the best is for you to use a good length of thread so that you can glue it to the bottom of the bottle).

Scooby921
November 9th, 2017, 06:53 AM
Use a very fine thread (such as sewing thread which you can double, for better resistance) to hang the clove inside the bottle with, so that you can close the bottle with not trouble, and use a bit of scotch to glue the other end to the bottle (the best is for you to use a good length of thread so that you can glue it to the bottom of the bottle).

Good idea. I think fishing line might work too. I expect it has higher abrasion resistance than thread and zero wicking properties.

You could also clean the under side of the cap and glue the string/thread/line there so the clove hangs straight down into the ink. No chance of the cap threads cutting your string and losing the clove in the ink. Down side is the clove coming out every time you open it and needing to be set on something absorbent to avoid a mess...unless you use 3x the length of fishing line that you need so you can set the cap next to the bottle and the clove is still in the bottle.

If I buy a bottle I may try this. For now I think I'm just grabbing a sample to decide whether or not I like any of them. I'm a sucker for sheen, so it's quite likely that I will.

naimitsu
November 9th, 2017, 08:04 AM

Good idea. I think fishing line might work too. I expect it has higher abrasion resistance than thread and zero wicking properties.

You could also clean the under side of the cap and glue the string/thread/line there so the clove hangs straight down into the ink. No chance of the cap threads cutting your string and losing the clove in the ink. Down side is the clove coming out every time you open it and needing to be set on something absorbent to avoid a mess...unless you use 3x the length of fishing line that you need so you can set the cap next to the bottle and the clove is still in the bottle.

If I buy a bottle I may try this. For now I think I'm just grabbing a sample to decide whether or not I like any of them. I'm a sucker for sheen, so it's quite likely that I will.

There exists "invisible" thread that will probably be thinner than fishing line, but is basically the same thing.
They'll be similar in cost, but invisible thread comes in a shorter length and smaller packaging.
The invisible thread will also hold a tighter knot, though a dab of hot glue on it probably wouldn't hurt. I would avoid super glue because it does have a tendency to flake if manipulated once dry.

And back to the ink... FWIW, I'm not a fan. I've tried a few samples, and they all write excessively dry for me. It's almost as bad as a plastic fork on styrofoam.

fountainpagan
November 9th, 2017, 08:49 AM
Both good ideas, fishing line and invisible thread. :applause:

FredRydr
November 10th, 2017, 04:15 AM
Is there any science behind this?

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/0c/8e/c8/0c8ec83020b990a749e71ec1bb57076f.jpg

fountainpagan
November 10th, 2017, 04:34 AM
Cloves have antiseptic properties.

There are many documents you can peruse. Enjoy.

Scooby921
December 6th, 2017, 06:19 AM
I should have listened to my wife. She dislikes Organics Studio inks because they are too dry. I ignored her warning and bought a sample of H.D. Thoreau Walden Pond and a bottle of Nitrogen. Neither one will go into rotation. Both inks dried up in the nib/feed every day. I had to use an eye dropper to add water to reconstitute them and get them working every time I attempted to write with them. The Walden Pond dried up enough to clog the slit between the tines and start flaking off like paint chips. Lovely colors, excessive sheen, but poor in-pen characteristics.

Pen was dry and I had been tapping on the page (as can be seen in the background). Being a more durable steel nib I applied a little pressure and rocked the pen back and forth to flex the tines. That's when the dried up ink flakes began breaking apart and working out from between the tines. All the specs on the paper are dried ink flakes.
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=36373&d=1512566224

MarkInLondon
December 9th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I'm kind of new at the exotic inks, so: What is it about the Organic inks that make them dry up and want a clove? What makes them different from other inks?

Sammyo
December 13th, 2017, 08:58 PM
I share Scooby921's experience. The nitrogen sample I got (from Scooby921 :D) was left in a pen overnight... the next day, the pen would not write.
I too needed water to get the ink flowing again.

I also agree with Migo984 that it is TOO MUCH SHEEN!
It detracts from the ink and actually becomes unpleasant to use and read later.
It might be ok for a fancy card in small doses, but again dip pen only, never in a pen again... to be fair though, I don't and won't ever own a bottle based on my own and others experiences.

Scooby921
December 15th, 2017, 08:15 AM
I'm kind of new at the exotic inks, so: What is it about the Organic inks that make them dry up and want a clove? What makes them different from other inks?
I think the dry property and the needing of a clove might be independent. I believe the clove suggestion was a means of slowing or preventing the growth of mold in the bottle of ink, and it would take a while for mold to form yet the ink is dry from the moment it leaves the production line. Interestingly the person or people behind Organics Studio inks recognize the deficiencies of their products and also sell a product called "Flo-plus" which is advertised to slow mold growth and improve ink flow properties. So they recognize that their products need a little help, but don't go as far as to just change their composition and add it to every ink they sell so no one needs to buy a separate product to fix and improve them.