PDA

View Full Version : Air mail labels (UK)

Kathleen
October 20th, 2017, 01:55 PM
On the last two occasions when I visited my local post office (the main branch in a large city) they had absolutely none of the blue air mail labels. This was so unusual that I asked a member of staff about it and I was told that the labels have been discontinued, since they are not needed any more. If the right amount has been paid for air mail, then it will go by air mail. Apparently you don't even need to write 'air mail' on the envelope any more. Had anyone else heard anything like this? I would like to think it is correct, since then I don't have to try and maintain a stock of them!

Chrissy
October 20th, 2017, 02:54 PM
I have not heard this.

I don't know how much Royal Mail type stationery you use, but you can go to Royal Mail.com, set up an account, and order all of the online mail supplies that you need from them. I have just been onto their web-site and can confirm that I can order sheets of Air Mail stickers (P25a) under International supplies.

Morgaine
October 21st, 2017, 03:27 PM
I've contacted a source on postal stuff about this. Will let you know if I get an answer.

I like the air mail labels, especially in Wales as I can use POST AWYR / par avion labels from Post Brenhinol!

Chrissy
October 21st, 2017, 03:41 PM
I've contacted a source on postal stuff about this. Will let you know if I get an answer.

I like the air mail labels, especially in Wales as I can use POST AWYR / par avion labels from Post Brenhinol!
I saw the special Welsh Air Mail labels on the RM web-site last night. :)

oldstoat
October 22nd, 2017, 11:23 AM
The last time I went into the little post office at the far end of town they still had red and blue edged Air Mail envelopes.

Morgaine
October 23rd, 2017, 08:17 AM
Heard back from my source - he's not heard of anything. Also, heard back from Royal Mail - they are aware of no such change - if the post office hasn't got any, they can order more.

Chrissy
October 23rd, 2017, 10:22 AM
Heard back from my source - he's not heard of anything. Also, heard back from Royal Mail - they are aware of no such change - if the post office hasn't got any, they can order more.

I placed an order. I will report back if I receive it. :)

I keep trying to get one of those plastic template things so that I can check all of my Large Letters, but so far I haven't received one. :(

Morgaine
October 23rd, 2017, 02:34 PM
I got a Tiger-branded postal template ruler thing with letter sized slots in from Amazon.

FredRydr
October 24th, 2017, 04:46 AM
...I was told that the labels have been discontinued, since they are not needed any more....
It's now the same Stateside. I use vintage-style airmail rubber stamps.

Fred

DaveBj
October 24th, 2017, 07:46 AM

So THAT'S what that means :D

FredRydr
October 24th, 2017, 08:18 AM
...If the right amount has been paid for air mail, then it will go by air mail....
Stamps on envelopes and postcards posted from the UK, and within the USA, are only franked half the time anymore, so I wonder who (or what) bothers to look to see if sufficient postage is applied to mail. My guess is that correct postage is down to random checks and post offices keep that a necessary secret. Meanwhile, mail will go to wherever it's addressed subject to the off-chance a postage scofflaw is caught.

oldstoat
October 27th, 2017, 03:56 PM
I recently sent a letter to a friend in the US and forgot to put a stamp or an airmail sticker on it, It arrived slightly faster than usual with no surcharge. Maybe hand written letters are so rare that it got special treatment.

Chrissy
October 27th, 2017, 03:59 PM
I recently sent a letter to a friend in the US and forgot to put a stamp or an airmail sticker on it, It arrived slightly faster than usual with no surcharge. Maybe hand written letters are so rare that it got special treatment.

That was lucky. :)