PDA

View Full Version : BE THE SEVEN

penwash
November 1st, 2017, 09:36 AM
Our own VertOlive made her signature: BE THE SEVEN.
So I'm borrowing her signature for the title of this thread :)

The idea behind BE THE SEVEN was this post (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/22286-Open-Letter-to-New-FPGeeks?p=222018&viewfull=1#post222018) in Daniel (dfo)'s open letter thread.

For which I am glad that he started it because it may very well be the turning point where enough of us said finally:"Enough of this rudderless -- and slowly sinking -- ship and let's make something good out of it again"

THE SEVEN does not mean there can only be seven people involved (boy that would be a sad ending to this). Rather, THE SEVEN refers to the number of days in our calendar.

So here is the invitation:

1. Pick a day out of seven that you're most likely to spend 5-10 minutes on FPGeeks.

2. On that day that you adopted, spend 5-10 minutes to either: Create a new thread, Ask questions, Praise someone's taste in pens, Revive a relevant old thread, Comment to an existing thread with more than just "Thank you" button.

3. If you have more time that day, do more, if you don't, don't. No pressure, just a consistent small effort multiplied by the faith in others who are like-minded.

That's it!

If enough of us adopt different days, the result is new thread or new posts to read everyday. And if this snowballs into a real momentum, FPGeeks won't be a quiet little village by the sea for much longer. Then we'll tackle different kind of headache, I'm sure :)

As a bonus, if this BE THE SEVEN initiative works, all those posting For Sale ads (myself included) can knock themselves out trying to compete for attention against good and alive discussions.

NOTE: You may comment to this thread by telling us which day have you adopted. Just to make sure that we have enough people to cover all 7 days.

Let's stop the don't-care-attitude and the complaining, and as Captain Picard would say: "Make it so!"

https://sd.keepcalm-o-matic.co.uk/i-w600/keep-calm-and-be-the-seven-3.jpg

AzJon
November 1st, 2017, 09:40 AM
I'm in. Not sure how much original content I can provide, but I will try and engage in a better way.

migo984
November 1st, 2017, 10:15 AM
I'll have a go too. I used to post frequently but stopped for several reasons (the same reasons why some very knowledgeable 'old hands' I know withdrew from the forum).
So to that end, and to support FPG, although I've always said I wouldn't ever post an ink review (due to their complete subjectivity) I've just posted a quick ink review of Krishna Ghat Green. I probably won't post another as I'm uncomfortable foisting my opinion on others, but I will try to contribute occasionally to discussions.

carlos.q
November 1st, 2017, 12:52 PM
Count me in! As soon as my regular internet service is restablished I will post more content. (I still haven’t figured out how to post pictures from my phone)

Ohhhhh.... I guess that makes me one of the Magnificent Seven! :dance3:

SIR
November 1st, 2017, 01:02 PM
Also --- tell people about fountain pens and tell people about fpgeeks.com!!

If your using fountain pens draws attention and comment then let them folks know ;).

VertOlive
November 1st, 2017, 01:39 PM
I never know when I'll have free time, but I'm out here. Oh.

Those guys are actually holding Really Big Pens.....

https://i.imgur.com/16gNRyj.jpg?1

dfo
November 1st, 2017, 03:16 PM
I claim Mondays.....;)

I have a few posts in the works about leather pen cases and my journey through grad school and the fountain pens I have picked up along the way.

Daniel

penwash
November 1st, 2017, 04:15 PM
I'm in. Not sure how much original content I can provide, but I will try and engage in a better way.

Jon, you're kidding me. You have a good dose of balanced insights and you represent yourself well.

And (to me) you are one of the representatives of the younger generation viewpoint which is essential for any healthy forum.

We're counting on you (along with the other Jon) to BE THE SEVEN.

Now, which day are you adopting?

Amanda
November 1st, 2017, 04:43 PM
I check in every morning while eating breakfast, but can't promise much new pen content. What I can do is comment where I can and revive interesting old threads.

Yesterday I got to show pictures of my dogs and ukuleles. :pound:

Jon Szanto
November 1st, 2017, 05:00 PM
http://www.logomoose.com/wp-content/uploads/gravity_forms/1-ccb3a626c22b416a31686ab909937935/2011/11/seven.jpg

AzJon
November 1st, 2017, 06:47 PM

Jon, you're kidding me. You have a good dose of balanced insights and you represent yourself well.

And (to me) you are one of the representatives of the younger generation viewpoint which is essential for any healthy forum.

We're counting on you (along with the other Jon) to BE THE SEVEN.

Now, which day are you adopting?

Thanks, Will. That means a lot.

I could likely take Tuesday. At least. I'll start scouring old threads to resurrect...er...revive. :D

penwash
November 2nd, 2017, 09:21 PM
Okay folks, who's going to adopt Wed, Thu, Fri, Sat, and Sundays?

Don't let up, we're gaining steam.

Jon Szanto
November 2nd, 2017, 09:32 PM
Will, two things:

1. The only thing I can ever promise to do is bring more activity. My concept would be a general thread - "Make Today Great on FPG" or something - that anyone can run to and post something cool for the day, a central repository for any contribution that is specifically earmarked to make sure Every Single Day sees some content contribution. Barring that, though, I'll just add wherever I see fit.

2. I simply can't commit to a regular day. Just like I couldn't do Inktober. My life doesn't play out regularly and every week brings new scheduling challenges. On top of that, right now we're in a bit of family sadness and I can't break away for fun pen time. I wish, I really do.

So go at it as you can, but remember that even if we want to keep the lifeblood of the forum pumping, some of us can't pull off a regularly scheduled time (day) slot.

Cheers,
Jon

Alchemist
November 2nd, 2017, 10:52 PM
I'll try to post on Sundays, but can't promise any earth-shaking content.

Deb
November 3rd, 2017, 04:29 AM
I'll mark Wednesdays on my calendar.

penwash
November 3rd, 2017, 08:23 AM
Will, two things:

1. The only thing I can ever promise to do is bring more activity. My concept would be a general thread - "Make Today Great on FPG" or something - that anyone can run to and post something cool for the day, a central repository for any contribution that is specifically earmarked to make sure Every Single Day sees some content contribution. Barring that, though, I'll just add wherever I see fit.

2. I simply can't commit to a regular day. Just like I couldn't do Inktober. My life doesn't play out regularly and every week brings new scheduling challenges. On top of that, right now we're in a bit of family sadness and I can't break away for fun pen time. I wish, I really do.

So go at it as you can, but remember that even if we want to keep the lifeblood of the forum pumping, some of us can't pull off a regularly scheduled time (day) slot.

Cheers,
Jon

Jon,

I appreciate your insights (as always), and the point of BE THE SEVEN is to bring new content by not causing distress and burdens. God knows we don't need more of those in our lives.

So contribute as you see fit (this is for everyone, not just Jon).

I hope your family matter would run its course in a good way. Hang in there.

penwash
November 3rd, 2017, 08:23 AM
I'll try to post on Sundays, but can't promise any earth-shaking content.

I can promise only non-earth-shattering content :D

penwash
November 10th, 2017, 08:27 AM
Alright, so far we have:

MONDAY - dfo
TUESDAY - AzJon
WEDNESDAY - Deb
THURSDAY -
FRIDAY -
SATURDAY -
SUNDAY - Alchemist
ANYDAY -

See a spot without a name? BE THE SEVEN.

VertOlive
November 10th, 2017, 07:37 PM
Alright, so far we have:

MONDAY - dfo
TUESDAY - AzJon
WEDNESDAY - Deb
THURSDAY -
FRIDAY -
SATURDAY -
SUNDAY - Alchemist
ANYDAY -

Er, I just posted an urgent and incisively articulated question regarding sourcing cutting edge Sailor models. Could that count for Friday? :rolleyes:

Marsilius
November 11th, 2017, 12:47 AM
Er, if nobody else bites, I can try Saturday. If I need to relay it off, I bet someone will take over, right?

FredRydr
November 11th, 2017, 04:28 AM
Er, if nobody else bites, I can try Saturday. If I need to relay it off, I bet someone will take over, right?
Never. It's a lifetime thing, like marriage.*

*I never typed that.

Deb
November 11th, 2017, 09:54 AM
Marriages can be brief these days, but we need greater commitment for posting!

Marsilius
November 11th, 2017, 01:55 PM
I was once told at a university faculty meeting why spousal faculty hires can be a problem: "Marriages come and go, but tenure goes on forever." Meaning, you don't want to be in a faculty meeting after a recent divorce. Yikes.

SIR
November 14th, 2017, 09:24 AM
Marriage segregates and isolates, contributing to fracturing of the community.
Just another perspective.

Deb
November 14th, 2017, 10:41 AM
Marriage segregates and isolates, contributing to fracturing of the community.
Just another perspective.

Is that opinion the result of personal experience?

dfo
November 14th, 2017, 10:50 AM
Concerning the work of the seven, I will be back with content next Monday. I have to defend my preliminary exams this Wednesday to become a PhD candidate............................then I can regain my life.

History Dan

FredRydr
November 14th, 2017, 10:53 AM
Wow, I'll withdraw my tangential comment (https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/22353-BE-THE-SEVEN?p=223908&viewfull=1#post223908), before we all get depressed!

Deb
November 14th, 2017, 11:36 AM
I originally offered to do Wednesday but things have changed since then and Wednesday has become a very full day. Tuesday is good and if I'm feeling especially verbose (as I generally am) I'll do something at the weekend too.

AzJon
November 14th, 2017, 02:39 PM
I originally offered to do Wednesday but things have changed since then and Wednesday has become a very full day. Tuesday is good and if I'm feeling especially verbose (as I generally am) I'll do something at the weekend too.

Go for it, Deb. I signed up for tuesday, but currently have a few more things on my plate than I can manage. :)

Deb
November 14th, 2017, 03:30 PM
Thank you, AzJon.

penwash
November 21st, 2017, 05:17 PM
Now, every Tuesday and Wednesday, whenever I had the time to open FPGeeks, I am cautiously optimistic that I would see a brand new thread by Deb.

And she has delivered week after week. I am so happy.

To Deb (one of the SEVEN), this is a short and unrefined thank you note, not a pressure to continue :)

- Will

Deb
November 21st, 2017, 05:48 PM
You are too kind, Will.

Marsilius
November 24th, 2017, 10:10 PM
Alright, so far we have:

MONDAY - dfo
TUESDAY - AzJon
WEDNESDAY - Deb
THURSDAY -
FRIDAY -
SATURDAY -
SUNDAY - Alchemist
ANYDAY -

Er, I just posted an urgent and incisively articulated question regarding sourcing cutting edge Sailor models. Could that count for Friday? :rolleyes:

I am taking the liberty of editing myself in:

MONDAY - dfo
TUESDAY - AzJon
WEDNESDAY - Deb
THURSDAY -
FRIDAY -
SATURDAY - Marsilius
SUNDAY - Alchemist
ANYDAY -
Is VertOlive confirmed for Friday? Incisively articulate, after all.