PDA

View Full Version : OMAS 557/F, Onoto straight-barrel plunger filler

fountainpenkid
November 1st, 2017, 01:29 PM
I'm only selling these pens because I can't afford to keep them--both are wonderful writers and perform as they should.

OMAS Extra 557/F 1950's top-of-the-line model in largest size (equivalent to the old-style paragon). Celluloid construction (much nicer feel than vegetal resin). Normal wear for its age; imprint still good, no cracks, major scratches, brassing to trim etc. Wonderful large and expressive EF/F nib that produces wonderful shading--recently adjusted by Brad Torelli. Piston is smooth and fills as it should. Overall an excellent and somewhat uncommon pen. $315 shipped SOLD U.S (elsewhere at cost) **If you're a longtime member that I trust, I will allow for a partial payment initially if that makes this sale any more likely--pay what you can now, I'll ship the pen, and pay off the rest in a few months.

Onoto de la Rue, straight-barrel plunger-filler c.1909 The original vacuum filler. Recently purchased from Gary Lehrer of gopens.com (paid $150). Really nice writer. His description: "Onoto 4 size Straight-holder plunger-fill in BCHR. Early “Patent Pending” model made in the US. De La Rue was founded around 1813, with fountain pen production beginning in 1905 with their “plunger” filling system (while most other pen companies were still selling eyedropper-fill pens). Earliest models, such as this one, were made with both an overfeed and underfeed (the overfeed was removed in 1921). In 1909 a manufacturing facility was opened in the U.S. Signed Onoto, fine nib. Chasing and barrel imprint somewhat weak, otherwise near mint." $105 shipped U.S (elsewhere at cost)

Email me at dabantur@gmail.com if you're interested. (my p.m inbox is full)

Thanks!

fountainpenkid
November 3rd, 2017, 10:07 AM
Bump for updated payment option for OMAS.

fountainpenkid
November 6th, 2017, 07:35 AM
Bump for reduced prices.

BayesianPrior
November 6th, 2017, 11:01 AM
That OMAS looks gorgeous.

Never done vintage. Never done OMAS. Never done flex nib.

But I want to try all three...what a pickle... Would you say this pen is a good introduction to all three attributes? Or is this for experienced vintage flex veterans who know what they want?

Maybe I should do a little research.

fountainpenkid
November 6th, 2017, 02:22 PM
That OMAS looks gorgeous.

Never done vintage. Never done OMAS. Never done flex nib.

But I want to try all three...what a pickle... Would you say this pen is a good introduction to all three attributes? Or is this for experienced vintage flex veterans who know what they want?

Maybe I should do a little research.

Honestly I'd say all three. The faceted shape, supple nibs and superb design the company was noted for are all present here. And the nib, while solidly semi-flex, is not hyper-sensitive/responsive but produces nice line variation with a moderate hand. The only thing you're missing is their colorful celluloids, but as a first OMAS the less-valuable black is probably better.

fountainpenkid
November 11th, 2017, 10:19 AM
Bump. OMAS reduced by $10.

fountainpenkid
November 21st, 2017, 10:35 AM
Bump.

Penthusiast
November 21st, 2017, 11:26 AM
Beautiful design on both of them, I'd pick that OMAS up in a heartbeat, if I had the funds (Gotta save for XMAS) GLWS :)

BridgeGuy
November 27th, 2017, 05:09 PM
PM sent.

fountainpenkid
November 27th, 2017, 11:04 PM
Sold pending payment.

fountainpenkid
December 1st, 2017, 03:11 PM
OMAS has sold. Onoto still available.