PDA

View Full Version : Leather Pen Tray

Alchemist
November 5th, 2017, 08:14 PM
I got back to doing some leatherwork today, and made myself a leather pen tray for my desk. "Borrowed" the design from a leather valet sold on Massdrop. The tray is made from a waxy Horween leather, so should be ink resistant.

grainweevil
November 6th, 2017, 02:53 AM
Proper job, as they say down here. :thumb:

fountainpagan
November 6th, 2017, 03:42 AM
Simple and elegant.

MY63
November 6th, 2017, 06:22 AM
Nice work

Chrissy
November 6th, 2017, 08:46 AM
Good Job. :thumb:

dfo
November 6th, 2017, 10:59 AM
This is inspiring. I love the brass pegs (or whatever they are called). Where did you get them?

On a side note, have you ever used a clothes iron to form creases on leather? I started doing so with wallets and pen cases I make. The steam helps the leather retain crisp corners.

DFO

Alchemist
November 6th, 2017, 06:22 PM
They're Sam Browne leather studs that I bought on eBay. I've never tried using a steam iron - will have to give it a try. When I want to get a sharp crease, I usually wet the leather and use a bone folder. That wouldn't work too well with this leather, though, since it's fairly thick and water resistant. Anyway, I wanted a loose, rustic look for this tray.

On his excellent YouTube leatherworking channel, Ian Atkinson uses a homemade "poor man's leather folding machine". You can see it at about 38 minutes in his latest video. I've learned a lot from his channel, and recommend it highly.

Thanks for the kind words, and the advice!