PDA

View Full Version : How long do Sheaffer snorkel point seals last?

liapuyat
April 30th, 2013, 10:03 PM
I have a black Sheaffer PFM III. Two years ago, I had it serviced in the US by a reputable repair person (I'm in the Philippines, by the way). I was surprised that while trying to clean the pen recently (after it ran out of ink), it would blow bubbles but not really fill with water. I opened up the PFM barrel carefully and inspected the sac protector. The sac seemed ok, so I assume the point seal in the section has failed. I'm sending it away again for restoration.

How long can one expect a point seal installation to last? (I am aware that it is best to replace BOTH point seal and sac at the same time, for best results.) I used to hope that a restoration would last me a good five years at least (given the warmer climate here).

Flounder
May 11th, 2013, 06:44 AM
Anecdotal evidence of one: my oldest Snorkel point seal is about 3 years old, and still fine (the Martin Ferguson Sheaffer style point seal with the flexible bit in). Maybe one of the other seals (touchdown tube or blind cap) is perished?

Vintagepens
May 11th, 2013, 09:18 AM
There are many points of possible air leakage, any of which would drastically reduce filling capacity.
In fact, when a point seal is failing, that's usually the most obvious, since there's typically signs of ink (or water) getting past it into the pen's interior.

liapuyat
May 13th, 2013, 12:00 AM
Anecdotal evidence of one: my oldest Snorkel point seal is about 3 years old, and still fine (the Martin Ferguson Sheaffer style point seal with the flexible bit in). Maybe one of the other seals (touchdown tube or blind cap) is perished?

I have two other Snorkels which have not needed repair (it's been three years at least), so I guess this varies. You and David are right: there must be a leak in more than one area.

inky
May 13th, 2013, 06:36 AM
I have a touchdown that has been restored for about 2 years now and is still going strong. When I received it, it wouldn't pull a vacuum. It would blow bubbles but not very many. When I restored it (my first pen restore) I restored the sac but it still was doing the same thing. Turns out the touchdown tube O-ring was shot and had a small crack in it. I replaced that and viola, it started pulling water and fully filling again.

liapuyat
May 27th, 2013, 01:05 AM
I love Snorkels and Touchdowns, despite the possible areas where they may fail. Thank you for sharing your experience :)