PDA

View Full Version : When Urushi meets Ebonite meets sharp chisels

penwash
November 7th, 2017, 09:13 PM
You get a Kamakura Bori pen.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4555/26480203239_7d4435af45_c.jpg

And yes, the Meizen 14K nib is extremely fine and quite flexible.

jar
November 8th, 2017, 04:37 AM
There are a couple similar traditions. In the Aizu technique the carving is done before the urushi is applied and then everything is burnished instead of polished which produces a more subtle finish.

http://www.fototime.com/BA932AB8EF4B6CC/medium800.jpg

In the Tsugaru-nuri technique many individual base layers are first put down, usually over two dozen and each one allowed to cure before the next is applied. Then the Kara-nuri pattern of different colored urushi are stamped randomly over the object. Several different shades are often used. Next several final coat layers are applied and again, each layer must be cured.

The final step is to sand down the object using wet sandpaper until the different colors and patterns are revealed.

http://www.fototime.com/200F09DE79603DA/medium800.jpg

penwash
November 8th, 2017, 08:50 AM
Jar, the two pens you shown us don't seem to have carvings on them. The first one looks like machined-chasing pattern rather than hand-carved pattern.

jar
November 8th, 2017, 09:53 AM
Jar, the two pens you shown us don't seem to have carvings on them. The first one looks like machined-chasing pattern rather than hand-carved pattern.

The first is still hand carved, the second has no carving rather removal by wet sanding.

fountainpagan
November 8th, 2017, 11:49 AM
You get a Kamakura Bori pen.

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4555/26480203239_7d4435af45_c.jpg

And yes, the Meizen 14K nib is extremely fine and quite flexible.

DIVINE!!!!!

Thank you, Penwash.

AzJon
November 8th, 2017, 03:53 PM
There are some pretty impressive pens in this thread. Thanks Penwash and Jar!

usk15
November 8th, 2017, 04:15 PM
Amazing skills and lovely pens!

penwash
November 15th, 2017, 08:13 PM
I am truly happy today.

You see, the Kamakura Bori pen lost its clip somewhere along the line. But after asking around my sources, I was able to get a similar (my eye-balling skill is tested here) cap from a black Japanese ebonite pen of the same era (not urushi) that was from a project pen.

And, along with the clip came the ultra-important tiny screw that would pin the part of the clip (that goes through the slit into the inside of the cap) to a hole beneath the dome of the cap. Of course, the original one was gone as well.

So now the Kamakura Bori has a "new" clip that -- against all odds -- fits the original slit perfectly. And more amazingly, the tiny screw also threads into the hole, pinning the clip securely inside the cap. I wish all clips are designed this way, it's a super simple securing method that results in non-wobbly clip. It almost sounds like too good to be true :D

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4564/24575934938_7eca8f9c7f_c.jpg

EDIT: Added some clarifications.

kevmid
November 16th, 2017, 02:02 AM
That's Kamakura karma...

jar
November 16th, 2017, 04:51 AM
Fantastic. How are the seals?

Manupropria
November 16th, 2017, 08:39 AM
I allow myself to show you where "Kamakura-bori" respectively "Zuishu" can go.
Not a pen but....

Best,

Martin
Carved Lacquer Natsume Tea Container by Okabe Keisho
Artist: Okabe Keisho - Period: Showa Post War

Natsume or tea caddy for summer tea ceremony in the form of a persimmon shaded by its branches leaves on one of which has landed a lady bug. Of colored and black, layered lacquers carved in choshitsu technique. Signed on the reverse with an incised signature by the artist: Keisho (Okabe Keisho, born 1912). Showa era, circa 1955 – 1965.

With a double tomobako or original double box; the exterior box lacquered; and the interior box lid inscribed on the exterior of the lid: Choshitsu Hira Natsume or Carved Lacquer Wide-mouthed Tea Caddy; then signed: Keisho, and sealed: Keisho. With the original, interior storage bag of silk brocade.

Born in Meiji 45 in Kagawa Prefecture on Shikoku, Okabe Keisho studied carved lacquer art under Otomaru Kodo (1898 – 1997). In 1938, he won a prize for his entry at the Nihon Bijutsu Kyokai (Japan Art Association) annual exhibition in Tokyo. In 1942, he was accepted into the government-sponsored exhibitions at the 5th Shin-Bunten. After the Pacific War, Keisho exhibited at the Nitten, winning a prize for his entry in 1949 at the 5th Nitten. The following year he became a permanent member of the Nitten. In 1956, he began exhibiting at the Nihon Dento Kogeiten (Japan Traditional Crafts Exhibition). As well, Keisho became an exhibitor and judge for the Kansai Sogo Bijutsuten (Kansai Sogo Art Exhibition).

Keisho sculpts this natsume in an early autumn theme. The persimmon ripens glowing in gold lacquers, shaded by dark leaves. A lone lady bug augers the end of the summer. A lyrical and beautifully rendered figural lacquer.

5.5 cm high x 9 cm diameter.

2.2” high x 3.5” diameter.
Artist Name: Okabe Keisho
Period: Showa Post War
Mediums: Lacquer
Form: Ornamental Boxes
Origin Country: Japan

penwash
November 16th, 2017, 09:09 AM
Fantastic. How are the seals?

When the pen came to me, someone in the past already took out the valve and the rod attached to it.

Judging from the ink inside the blind cap (not excessive, but it's there), this pen probably had been used as a valve-less eye-dropper for a while.

I have been testing it with water these past few days, can't seem to get it to leak as long as the blind cap is secured.
In fact, I was able to impress my teenager (If you have one, you'd know what a feat this is) when I filled the barrel with water and I flipped the barrel upside down, and not a single drop of water fell. :D

penwash
November 16th, 2017, 09:52 AM
I allow myself to show you where "Kamakura-bori" respectively "Zuishu" can go.
Not a pen but....

Best,

Martin
Carved Lacquer Natsume Tea Container by Okabe Keisho
Artist: Okabe Keisho - Period: Showa Post War

Martin, what an education and a feast for the eyes.

I'm trying to come up with a name for the Kamakura-Bori pen. If it were your pen, warts and all, what name would you give it?

Manupropria
November 16th, 2017, 01:04 PM
It's my pleasure Wil.
The patina on this pen is very nice. Japanes appreciate "old" things.
There is a term they use "Yō no bi" beauty through use

Best,

Martin

Ahriman4891
November 17th, 2017, 12:58 PM
@Manupropria:
Damn, that is beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

penwash
December 18th, 2017, 10:42 AM
Update on the Kamakura Bori pen.

Because this pen has a potential suitor, I have to absolutely make it working again. As a valve-less eye-dropper since the original valve and rod of this pen are long gone.

So my options were:

1. Fashion a plug at the end of the barrel so no ink would leak.
2. Use thread sealant to seal the blind cap "forever", never to be opened again.

Option 1 obviously is the better one because that leaves the blind cap still operable, which is awesome for showcasing the pen. But it is also the one that takes more effort.

So here we are, 3 tries later (each try is some "quality time" on the lathe with a piece of ebonite).

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4726/38243100285_48a06a5f7e_c.jpg

A perfect fit plug that doesn't leak!