PDA

View Full Version : Parker Sonnet - repair advice!

gylo
May 1st, 2013, 05:18 AM
I have the above pen, it was a gift from my mother back in 1996 and so has some sentimental value.

It's now got a new gold nib that intermittently skips on the down stoke unless you push ink through by tightening the piston. It then works for a while before skipping again. Anyway, it’s a nice writer otherwise.

However it also seems to need a rather too regular clean as dry ink seems to collect where the nib meets the pen body or in the cap? In any even if you hold the pen near the gold band you end up with inky hands!

I was just about to send it away to try and resolve the skipping, when i had a chat with my boss, he has a newer parker sonnet and not only does it skip in the same manner, it has the dry ink around the nib/body as well. Is this typical of a sonnet?

My go-too pens are a Pilot VP or a TSWBI mini, neither of which suffer any of the symptoms.

I wondered if anyone has similar experiences, so I can determine if it’s worth trying to get it repaired.

Or should I leave it inkless?

KrazyIvan
May 1st, 2013, 11:35 AM
Are there any paper fibers between the tines?

gylo
May 1st, 2013, 12:58 PM
Hoping that's unlikely with a new nib, but should perhaps check, not sure how mind!

whych
May 1st, 2013, 02:17 PM
Hoping that's unlikely with a new nib, but should perhaps check, not sure how mind!
Use a loupe.

Assuming you have taken the nib out and wasshed it and the section:
Check the nib is properly screwed in and that the converter/cartridge is pushed in and seated properly.
Then leave the pen inked, capped and standing nib down for a couple of days, testing every now and then to see if it is feeding properly yet.
It worked for me with one of the new nibs I got.

pajaro
May 1st, 2013, 06:02 PM
Use a loupe.

Assuming you have taken the nib out and wasshed it and the section:
Check the nib is properly screwed in and that the converter/cartridge is pushed in and seated properly.
Then leave the pen inked, capped and standing nib down for a couple of days, testing every now and then to see if it is feeding properly yet.
It worked for me with one of the new nibs I got.

The above technique of leaving the pen inked for a day or two resolved the problem of the pen skipping with a Montblanc 146 and a Pelikan M800. So, it is a good thing to try.