PDA

View Full Version : Shipping pens overseas?

Flake
May 1st, 2013, 05:57 AM
I've got a pen I need to get out to Hong Kong but I have limited experience with overseas shipping. My intended plans were to use a PVC tube (the pen, well wrapped, inside) with the ends taped shut. Has anyone had any troubles with PVC looking suspicious in international shipping? Or is there just a better way that I don't know about?

Thanks!

JustDaveyB
May 1st, 2013, 06:01 AM
No I have received many a pen sent to me in a PVC tube and had no problems with the authorities. Fountain pens show up quite distinctly on x-ray machines.

drgoretex
May 1st, 2013, 06:47 AM
PVC tube should work fine. I have used that several times. I also use corrugated cardboard and wrap it around pens (after wrapping the pen in protective foam), and put the whole thing in a box.

Ken

mhguda
May 1st, 2013, 07:34 AM
Plastic cigar tubes also work well. And lots of bubblewrap in a flat rate box, I have also received pens shipped that way, all in good condition. But the PVC tube works fine. It is relatively heavy though. Might be more expensive than the alternatives. Actually, if you have a fountain pen gift box (cardboard would be enough) that would also work fine.
HTH

Laura N
May 1st, 2013, 07:35 AM
I use a sturdy box and so far have had no issues.

jbb
May 1st, 2013, 07:43 AM
If you plan to ship with Priority Mail anything you can fit in a Priority Mail Flat Rate Envelope ships for the same price -- about $24.00 -- up to 4 lbs. if memory serves. Small boxes or a PVC tube fit inside that envelope. It's the cheapest Priority Mail rate.

Also, if you print & pay for your shipping label at home it's cheaper than at the post office. You can use USPS.com.

Flake
May 1st, 2013, 07:58 AM
Thanks everyone! I'm glad to know this really is the way to go. I wanted to make sure it didn't get lost in customs somehow.

JBB: I'd planned to ship it flat rate for just that reason, plus it's still 25$ cheaper than a lighter box!

woosang
May 2nd, 2013, 08:03 AM
And make sure there is no ink I the pen... A few of mine have been investigated by customs as the seller left an old ink cartridge in it :-/