PDA

View Full Version : Pls help identify this red Waterman pen

Kwen
November 17th, 2017, 12:38 PM
Hello,

I have an old Waterman fountain pen that was accidentally dropped and the screw part for screwing into the barrel has broken. This is a rather short pen - the pen with the cap on measures about 4 3/8 in while the screw diameter is about 1/4 in. Please refer to the attached photo.

I would like to know if the nib holder can be replaced. However, I don't know the name or model of this pen as it was bought overseas in the 1990s and there is no further information on the pen or case. Your help will be much appreciated. Thank you.

grainweevil
November 17th, 2017, 01:26 PM
I think it might be a Lady Anastasia. Searching suggests the section from an Executive or Exclusive should be a fit, and be a lot more likely to be found.

Kwen
November 17th, 2017, 05:36 PM
I think it might be a Lady Anastasia. Searching suggests the section from an Executive or Exclusive should be a fit, and be a lot more likely to be found.
Thank you. That was helpful. Do you know where I can source for the section?

Chrissy
November 18th, 2017, 02:07 AM
You might find one on eBay.

grainweevil
November 18th, 2017, 03:09 AM
My other thought for modern parts like this would be Dutchpen, who you can find over in The Other Place (http://www.fountainpennetwork.com/forum/user/7515-dutchpen). That link to his member page will probably be blocked unless you're a member there, I suspect, so you might have to go through some rigmarole of a certain amount of time as a member/no. of posts to access it. But fwiw. Maybe someone around here has dealt with him and has more direct contact...?

Chrissy
November 18th, 2017, 03:28 AM
Dutchpen now has his own web-site. Which I found on his FPN ID but the link isn't working.

He said this is because (as a lowly Gold Member) he couldn't continue to advertise all of his pen parts in FPN Classifeds.

Chrissy
November 18th, 2017, 03:31 AM
You might find just the section itself. You can unscrew the nib unit, including the band, from the bottom of the broken section.

It would be interesting to know if the screw threads would glue back onto that section, but we don't know where in the world you are, so it's difficult to recommend someone who might be able to help you there.

Kwen
November 18th, 2017, 05:24 AM
You might find just the section itself. You can unscrew the nib unit, including the band, from the bottom of the broken section.

It would be interesting to know if the screw threads would glue back onto that section, but we don't know where in the world you are, so it's difficult to recommend someone who might be able to help you there.

Thanks for your suggestions. I was thinking of trying to glue back the screw thread if I can't find a replacement.

grainweevil
November 18th, 2017, 06:38 AM
Dutchpen now has his own web-site. Which I found on his FPN ID but the link isn't working.

He said this is because (as a lowly Gold Member) he couldn't continue to advertise all of his pen parts in FPN Classifeds.

Oh aye? I didn't know that. Also found his link (https://dutchpen.com) and it seems to need a Wordpress account, and then you can request access to his site. Strange are the hoops you have to go through sometimes in the FP world!

As to the gluing, that strikes me as a pretty high-stress area. It might work, but be prepared for disappointment.

Kwen
November 18th, 2017, 09:15 AM

Oh aye? I didn't know that. Also found his link (https://dutchpen.com) and it seems to need a Wordpress account, and then you can request access to his site. Strange are the hoops you have to go through sometimes in the FP world!

As to the gluing, that strikes me as a pretty high-stress area. It might work, but be prepared for disappointment.

Thank you. Let me try to reach out to him. I haven't used an FP for a long time - many hoops and things to learn about, but am grateful for assistance from people like you and Chrissy.

amk
November 18th, 2017, 11:37 AM
That is indeed a Lady Anastasia. I believe the Waterman Executive also uses the same section, and beaten up Execs do appear occasionally for a modest price.

If you try to glue the section you need to insert a thin tube inside to support the join - and that may make inserting a cartridge difficult. Another fix might be to use the cartridge to glue the section to, chop off the top and use a sac attached to the cartridge for filling... but I'm not sure if there's enough room for that. Really, a replacement section is the best way to go. Good luck!

Chrissy
November 18th, 2017, 04:45 PM

I went through a couple more hoops, because I logged into my Wordpress account, but it still says his site is private. Well I think it does. It's in Dutch, so I can't be sure. :confused:

I might have some glue that would work on those threads. The amount of stress might depend on exactly where you held the pen for writing, and I would hold it lower. It would be an interesting experiment. :)

grainweevil
November 19th, 2017, 02:26 AM

I went through a couple more hoops, because I logged into my Wordpress account, but it still says his site is private. Well I think it does. It's in Dutch, so I can't be sure. :confused:

Throwing ourselves on the mercy of Google translate:

This is a private site of the owner. To view it, you need two things:
-WordPress.com account
Do not have an account yet? All you need is an e-mail address and a password - register here !
-Permission from the owner of the site.
If you have created an account, log in and return to this screen to request an invitation.

So the next step seems to be to ask nicely to be invited in. :hail:

Sid the Cat
May 14th, 2018, 03:30 PM
They're nice little pens, although the nibs are mediocre.

amk
May 15th, 2018, 02:00 AM
Ooooh Sid, wait till you get an 18k broad nib in one of these pens. *Those* nibs are not mediocre at all. Just rare :-)

Sid the Cat
May 16th, 2018, 02:45 PM
The Elsas, sadly, only come with steel nibs. Instead, I've vandalized some Executive nibs that have fallen into my hands and turned them into stubs. Thus modified, they're swell writers.