PDA

View Full Version : Big thanks to Brian and FPG for the nib tuning video.

heraclitus682
May 1st, 2013, 08:44 AM
Now for a question. I have purchased the 10x BelOMO loupe from Richards pens for this. I have aligned several of my cheaper nibs with much success but I am having trouble in one area. I have trouble seeing the gap or slit between the tines. I understand what it is supposed to look like but I can see a gap in only one of my nibs. Am I doing something wrong? Would a loupe with a light bring this out more? Thanks.

KrazyIvan
May 1st, 2013, 08:47 AM
Try lighting it from behind. When checking the slit, I hold the pen up to my desk lamp and examine that way because you can see the slit a lot easier.

OcalaFlGuy
May 1st, 2013, 10:50 AM
Great vid!, Brian is an excellent video presenter.

With all due respect though, I would make one change to it and that'd be No Figure 8's on abrasives for nib smoothing.

That can cause baby bottoming and flat spots.

Change the Figure 8's to circles in either direction, or regular handwriting stressing the direction towards where most of the nib feedback
is coming from and you'll be much more likely to Fix a problem than Cause one.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

heraclitus682
May 2nd, 2013, 08:26 PM
I am still having trouble seeing the slit, even put up to light. Any more suggestions?

Jon Szanto
May 2nd, 2013, 08:35 PM
Gentlemen, I'm having a difficult time locating the video - can anyone point me in the right direction (wasn't able to view live due to work). Thanks in advance...

recluse
May 2nd, 2013, 08:46 PM
Gentlemen, I'm having a difficult time locating the video - can anyone point me in the right direction (wasn't able to view live due to work). Thanks in advance...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6DIICkOkvI

Jon Szanto
May 2nd, 2013, 09:33 PM
Bonus. Thanks, recluse!

heraclitus682
May 3rd, 2013, 11:22 PM

With all due respect though, I would make one change to it and that'd be No Figure 8's on abrasives for nib smoothing.

Change the Figure 8's to circles in either direction, or regular handwriting stressing the direction towards where most of the nib feedback

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Honestly though, how often is it really necessary to use the abrasives?

OcalaFlGuy
May 4th, 2013, 08:49 AM
ALL nib smoothing uses some sort of abrasive.

Hence the word Smoothing.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

TMac
May 4th, 2013, 01:26 PM
What a great video. I've been smoothing my nibs for a while and learned a couple new things watching this great presentation. Used them yesterday on a Laban Celebration and I can't believe how smooth the nib is now.

dannzeman
May 4th, 2013, 01:49 PM

Bruce in Ocala, FL

Actually, the technique for figure 8's shown in the video is specifically intended to prevent flat spots. Making circles or any shape without rotating the nib will create flat spots.

Creating a slight baby's bottom isn't a bad thing. It's only a problem when taken too far. The smoothest nibs will incorporate just right amount.

OcalaFlGuy
May 4th, 2013, 02:22 PM
Let me be more clear.

I've had 3 of the World Class nibmeisters tell me not to use figure 8's to smooth nibs with. This applied most stringently They Said
to those less knowledgeable/experienced in nibwork, EXACTLY the target group of the video.

When I have 3 world renowned experts tell me the same thing, I tend to listen.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

dannzeman
May 4th, 2013, 04:30 PM
Bruce,

Just think about it for a second. No matter what shape you make, if you hold the pen in the same orientation throughout the movement you're going to create flat spots. Rotating the pen as shown in the video, whether making figure 8's or circles or whatever will prevent flat spots from forming. There's nothing about making figure 8's that'll ruin your nib.

OcalaFlGuy
May 4th, 2013, 05:08 PM
You are welcome to both believe and dispense with whatever information you desire Dan.

I've cited Why I believe what I said Especially when it's presented as a preferred method for inexperienced nib workers.

If someone prefers to not be concerned with what the 3 most renowned nib experts in the country recommend
that is certainly their prerogative.

Bruce in Ocala, FL

dannzeman
May 4th, 2013, 07:11 PM
My information comes from years of experience and many happy customers.

gweddig
May 4th, 2013, 09:56 PM
I appreciated seeing how someone else does it, while Bruce may have some valid points I think there are enough disclaimers that everyone who wants to try it should be smart about it. So what if you get a baby bottom, you didn't try this on your vintage Mabie Todd flexi/maxi-semi-flex/flooksie noodle did you? If someone messes up their nib then they should (look at someone else's advice and/or) try again. That is how I learn anyway.

Thanks for the video FPG and thanks Bruce for the valuable input as well!

tenney
May 5th, 2013, 01:13 AM
I'd suggest that camera 2 be an inexpensive USB microscope so that viewers can see the nib being worked on from Brian's view. Thanks.