PDA

View Full Version : Tomoe River Paper Review

Marsilius
November 20th, 2017, 08:22 PM
I was on on tour on the weekend and had almost no internet, so I could toss in a brief post for a "Be The Seven" post. To make up for that, I have attached a short hand-written review of Tomoe River Paper on White A5 Blank paper. I was in Daimo, a store I recently discovered, and finally saw some Tomoe River paper in person, and thought I would give it a try. As I mention, my handwriting is not terribly legible.
I like the feel of a thicker paper than this, but for paper-thin paper, this stuff is pretty darn solid.

ShugPug
November 20th, 2017, 08:25 PM
I was on on tour on the weekend and had almost no internet, so I could toss in a brief post for a "Be The Seven" post. To make up for that, I have attached a short hand-written review of Tomoe River Paper on White A5 Blank paper. I was in Daimo, a store I recently discovered, and finally saw some Tomoe River paper in person, and thought I would give it a try. As I mention, my handwriting is not terribly legible.
I like the feel of a thicker paper than this, but for paper-thin paper, this stuff is pretty darn solid.
36092Thanks for this - I have a Goulet notebook waiting for me in my shopping cart just waiting for payday... And I'm looking forward to using my Techno next year - how does it compare with Rhodia or Leuchtturm's papers?

Marsilius
November 20th, 2017, 08:38 PM
[/ATTACH][/QUOTE]Thanks for this - I have a Goulet notebook waiting for me in my shopping cart just waiting for payday... And I'm looking forward to using my Techno next year - how does it compare with Rhodia or Leuchtturm's papers?[/QUOTE]

I found that Leuchturm papers (at least in the smaller notebooks) bleed more than my more favored Rhodia. I was first surprised by how well behaved Apica paper is, which is much less expensive. That led me to try Tomoe River. To me, it feels something like: old fashioned typing paper meets Rhodia quality. Paper this thin has no business holding ink so well.
Pick it up and it flops around like tissue paper.
The Apica has a kind of sheeny surface, but not glossy.
I may have to try Leuchturm again. Maybe I read somewhere that the larger notebooks have nicer paper.
But in general, the papers I like are: Rhodia, Apica, this Tomoe River, Muji paper, Strathmore watercolor paper (for drawing), and I also like Clairefontaine papers (which I think are the same manufacturers of Rhodia?)
Ooh, and I have a special fancy paper Fabriano Maediovalis, which i reviewed here some time ago:
https://fpgeeks.com/forum/showthread.php/2684-Fabriano-Medioevalis-Cards?highlight=fabriano

Tell me if you find something you love, Shugpug!

DaveBj
November 21st, 2017, 08:15 AM
TR is my favorite letter-writing paper, not least because I don't have to worry about extra postage when I write long letters to my out-of-country pen pals.

Marsilius
November 21st, 2017, 08:47 AM
TR is my favorite letter-writing paper, not least because I don't have to worry about extra postage when I write long letters to my out-of-country pen pals.

Good point. I am trying to use these for taking some notes. I have liked thicker paper in part because of the old dry hands issue, trying to grab that page corner with your fingers. But these tend to slide apart nicely, too. Who knew?

KrazyIvan
November 24th, 2017, 08:32 PM
I use a pack of lose leaf TR paper exclusively for letter writing and it's a favorite. I had a custom leatherbound notebook done with TR paper and am just waiting to use up my current notebook so I can start using that one.

Dhruv
November 29th, 2017, 09:38 AM
I use TR paper almost exclusively since I have about 7500 sheets of looseleaf sheets of it in 52gsm Cream. Everything else seems inadequate for FP's.