PDA

View Full Version : 149 or 146

I like mango pudding
May 1st, 2013, 12:29 PM
So, being a newbie here and seeing that I need to seriously add to my pen line up (compared to some of you!), I've decided to get yet another MB. Originally I thought the 149 was THE pen to get. I recall one of my colleagues brought it in and I was in awe of it. But then I saw the 146 and figured, it wasn't so fat and cigar looking. It is a good size, and complements the size of my Boheme. BUT, the 149 is the the iconic pen to get that started the MB fanaticism. Yet, on the other hand, the MB star seems so minute on the 149 cap, it almost appears subservient to the rest of the pen.

So, should it be the 149 or the 146? What say you geeks??

heraclitus682
May 1st, 2013, 12:32 PM
Both. You'll end up getting both at some point anyways.

I like mango pudding
May 1st, 2013, 12:39 PM
Both. You'll end up getting both at some point anyways.

eeks!!! I KNEW IT!!!!!

Someone would eventually say that!!!

heraclitus682
May 1st, 2013, 12:40 PM
I personally like the feel of the older 149's with the plastic piston threads. Great pen there.

Trivan
May 1st, 2013, 01:10 PM
I too had this choice 2 months ago, I went with the 149. I have a Visconti HS and I really like that it is fat and very comfortable in the hand. Thin pens are a dime a dozen, but an excellent quality fat pen is more difficult to find.

carlos.q
May 1st, 2013, 01:15 PM
Maybe you should go to a MB boutique and try out both sizes. I have a 146 and find it very large for my taste, so I guess I won't be looking for a 149. (Emphasis on "my taste")

Laura N
May 1st, 2013, 01:19 PM
I agree that you should try them out. I used a 149 with a great nib, but the pen was too large for me. The 146 is not small either, but it feels much better in my hands.

I like mango pudding
May 1st, 2013, 01:47 PM
Our MB dealer doesn't have a 149 on display or in stock at the moment. She did give me another pen that was close to its size, but I need to see and feel the real thing, maybe smell it too, and caress it for a while, while its on my hands for those few seconds. (okay too much information..)

I guess I'll have to try another dealer for the moment.

tiffanyhenschel
May 1st, 2013, 03:28 PM
If possible, spend more than one visit trying the pens. I went to a boutique to try the pens and nib sizes and thought I liked the 146 best. It's a great pen. Then I bought a used 149 from the Classifieds for a good price and learned to enjoy the size. Since then I've sold my 146 (and two WE's based on the 146 size) and have four 149s. I don't say that it is the best pen for everybody, but you might be surprised. I was!

orfew
May 1st, 2013, 03:41 PM
I second the recommendation for both. Why not...its only money.

I like mango pudding
May 1st, 2013, 03:43 PM
I second the recommendation for both. Why not...its only money.

Oh gee thanks (rolling eyes in sarcasm right now), should I rep you or thank you for that post :)

bah, I'll follow your advice and give you both!!! (the pen choices are still up for consideration though)

CS388
May 1st, 2013, 03:57 PM
Which one first, you mean? There seems to be an inevitability in the air.

Personal tastes, of course. But I'm totally hooked on my 146. That said, today I've just spent the whole day using my 149.

Money wise, I'd recommend trying one out from the used market.
If you decide you don't like the pen, you can almost certainly sell it on and get your money back. May lose a small amount, may make a small profit.
If you buy new and decide to sell, you'll likely make a substantial loss.

Good luck.

calluna
May 1st, 2013, 04:15 PM
146. 149 is huge. 149 later if you're still hooked.

stevekolt
May 2nd, 2013, 10:47 AM
I bought the platinum 146 first. Great pen, love it. Bought the 149 and matching desk holder for....my desk at home :thumb: Looks great and keeps the pen readily accessible. But I bought the 149 with that specific role in mind, while the 146 gets it's share of pocket time.

jar
May 2nd, 2013, 10:57 AM
I find that my 149s almost never get used, even when compared to just my other Montblancs. But that is just personal preference. When we get to wide-bodied fountain pens with big nibs I find my Montegrappa Extra and 1939 Extra get the most use closely followed by Montegrappa Espressione or Classica, then Sheaffer Legacy family pens, then PFMs, then vintage Sheaffer and Parker pens, then the 149 and the Pelikan 1050 least of all.

But, as mentioned above, I do seem to gravitate to smaller pens now.

I like mango pudding
May 2nd, 2013, 12:19 PM
yeah, my Meisterstuck Classique is feeling a bit lonely now that I use the Boheme almost exclusively. I've come accustomed to the wider bodies. In fact my MB Rollerball is all but stored away now that I am a fp geek!

going to a boutique tomorrow to try out the 146 and the 149. Found one that has both of them on display. Just found out the MSRP on the 149 is in the stratosphere. Yikes!

tiffanyhenschel
May 2nd, 2013, 02:50 PM
going to a boutique tomorrow to try out the 146 and the 149. Found one that has both of them on display. Just found out the MSRP on the 149 is in the stratosphere. Yikes!

You can probably find a used one in very good condition for about half of that.

I like mango pudding
May 2nd, 2013, 04:05 PM

You can probably find a used one in very good condition for about half of that.

agreed, that is where I am focussing my attention on right now. One boutique has it for sale for 500$ brand new, so I take the MSRP with a big grain of salt. (MSRP is around $900 on the MB website)

I like mango pudding
May 3rd, 2013, 05:48 PM
Okay, went to a dealer who had both in stock. The 149 is a bit too fat for me. The 146 feels right.

I could get a brand new display 146 for $450, all in with taxes. The other pen dealer I don't think could match this price.

What do you geeks think??? (The 149 was going for about $560, all in with taxes, also, only the display model, but I think I'm going to pass)

jar
May 3rd, 2013, 06:00 PM
The 146 is nice.

Laura N
May 3rd, 2013, 06:01 PM
Okay, went to a dealer who had both in stock. The 149 is a bit too fat for me. The 146 feels right.

I could get a brand new display 146 for $450, all in with taxes. The other pen dealer I don't think could match this price.

What do you geeks think??? (The 149 was going for about $560, all in with taxes, also, only the display model, but I think I'm going to pass)

FWIW, if you can try out the pen first to check the nib and feed, and if the pen comes with the full warranty, I think that's a fair deal. If you buy used you'll likely pay over $300, and get no warranty and maybe no chance to examine the pen first. Do check eBay completed listings to see what they go for used, however.

earthdawn
May 3rd, 2013, 06:19 PM
Also, with new... you get I believe it is a month to change the nib free of charge if you dont like it.

$450 all in for brand new while more then used is really not that bad for it. I don't think anyone would say "oh you paid way to much etc..."

I have a 146 and really enjoy it. It's a clasic pen that is timeless in its syle and function.

Do let us know what you decide... and most important.... POST PICS ! :)

dgator
May 3rd, 2013, 06:55 PM
Maybe you should go to a MB boutique and try out both sizes.

+1

Definitely try them both. I had a 149, however found it too big. If the "new" price is too much, there are plenty of nice used ones out there.

Have fun shopping!

I like mango pudding
May 4th, 2013, 12:00 PM
While I prefer the 146 over the 149, I'm new to piston fillers. I've always used converters and disposable cartridges, so refilling would be new to me. I did end up going back t the original pen store who had a LeGrand Traveller (the 147), and that one is a converter of the same size as the 146. Forgot to ask how much it was though. DOH!!!!

If I can accept piston fillers, then it's definitely the 146.

Just one thing about them, how do you know when you need to refill before you run out of ink. With converters, I just unscrew the pen and I can see how much ink I have left and top up when needed. You can't do that with piston fillers can you?

orfew
May 4th, 2013, 12:08 PM
While I prefer the 146 over the 149, I'm new to piston fillers. I've always used converters and disposable cartridges, so refilling would be new to me. I did end up going back t the original pen store who had a LeGrand Traveller (the 147), and that one is a converter of the same size as the 146. Forgot to ask how much it was though. DOH!!!!

Just one thing about them, how do you know when you need to refill before you run out of ink. With converters, I just unscrew the pen and I can see how much ink I have left and top up when needed. You can't do that with piston fillers can you?
I do not mean to confuse things further but the 147 is one of my favourite pens. The nice thing is it comes with its own leather case that has a slot for the pen and room for 6 carts. this is the pen I take to work most often because it is so easy to just pop in a cart when needed.

I like mango pudding
May 4th, 2013, 12:12 PM

I do not mean to confuse things further but the 147 is one of my favourite pens. The nice thing is it comes with its own leather case that has a slot for the pen and room for 6 carts. this is the pen I take to work most often because it is so easy to just pop in a cart when needed.

exactly!!!!!

You get alot of "extras" with the Traveller, like a huge reservoir (correct terminology???) in the converter, leather case, and even room for a disposable cartridge inside.

jar
May 4th, 2013, 01:06 PM

The 147 generally runs a little more than the 146.

To see when to refill one of the 146 or 149 pens though, you just look at the ink view window. On the current modern 146s I think it is a striped window but on my modern ones it is a wide clear blue or grey area.

Here is one of my 146s next to a Pelikan 800 and you can see the ink view area on the MB.

http://www.fototime.com/949C974B4583612/medium800.jpg

john
May 10th, 2013, 05:46 AM
146 is good for daily use, 149 is too big for me. I have the 146, it is a great writer.

mmahany
May 10th, 2013, 01:47 PM
Here is a bit of my personal opinion.

149- Like you said, it is an iconic pen. It's a fantastic writer, weighted perfectly for its size, and is the most enjoyable pen to write with that I currently own. It's a matter of preference, but I personally use my 149 when I write for shorter periods of time. Writing more than a full page (A4) my hand will get a bit tired.

147- This is the best all around pen in the Montblanc lineup in my opinion. It has the physical size of the 146 but without the added weight of the piston mechanism. In addition, it has the simplicity and reliability of the 144, but is much more durable and utilizes a much nicer cartridge filling mechanism. It also comes with a very nice travel case which holes both the pen and 6 cartridges.

146- An exceptional pen and is fantastic all around as well. It has all the same features of the 149, but with a slightly smaller nib.

Here is what I would choose given these situations:
1.) Best all around pen- 147
2.) Most iconic pen- 149
3.) If you desire a piston filler and plan to write for long periods of time- 146
4.) If this is your first larger Montblanc pen- 149
5.) If you plan to travel with it- 147
6.) Best nib- 149
7.) Best vintage pen- 149 with a celluloid barrel and silver trim rings
8.) Best value when buying used- 146 (generally can be had for under $200)

If your choice is between the 146 and 149 go with the 149, especially if the price difference is that close. The 146 is a fantastic pen and I wouldn't dare to say it is inferior, it just has a slightly different purpose. However, I wouldn't rule out the idea of a 147 for the right price.

zebrapony
May 11th, 2013, 01:53 PM
Whats the difference between the two?
I have a 146 and it looks very similar to the 149 in my opinion. Ofcourse, Ive only seens pics of the 149

stevekolt
May 11th, 2013, 03:29 PM
The 149 is much larger for one...wider and longer.

mmahany
May 13th, 2013, 11:44 AM
Here is a comparison between the 146, 147, and 149. There are two of each (one capped and one not).
http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b186/mmahany/20130510_144941_zpsae5a786b.jpg (http://s19.photobucket.com/user/mmahany/media/20130510_144941_zpsae5a786b.jpg.html)

Notes-
1.) The 146 and 147 are nearly identical in physical appearance. The newer 146 and 147 are identical in size, but my older 146 with a mono-toned gold nib is a few millimeters shorter than my modern 146 and my 147s. Even still the slight difference is negligible
2.) The 149 is physically larger in every way. Longer, thicker, heavier, and a larger nib.